Hawk Harrelson talking about........

Rex Hudler

From Hawk on the Score today when defending Willie..........

Willie batted 420 in the minors, with about 12 doubles and 5 triples (note: why was that thread closed??)

I am getting sick of this as a defense for Willie Harris. First of all, let me say, I am not bashing him, nor am I against him getting a shot to play everday, but the use of those stats are ridiculous.

Willie hit .420 in AAA in 2003 in ONLY 81 AB's!. He has one good month. He went back to AAA in June for a week and his average dropped 40 points. Hitting .420 in a month is better than hitting .120, but give me a break with this.

In 2002, he hit .283 in 89 games in AAA. He hit .305 in 133 games in AA in 2001. So he does have a pretty good Minor League resume, but let's get off this one hot month crap for a defense of his readiness, please!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose whoever closed that thread thought SSI was starting s***. Even though it had almost no indications of exploding.....just because he disagrees with Steff doesn't dictate someone playing thread-god.

As for that hot month where he batted .420, it should be excluded as a indication of success. Of course I'm worried about Willie as our starting second basemen, but I strongly believe he should be given a chance. Last week, Williams alluded to several years ago when he convinced fans to start two no names: "Carlos Lee" and the guy with the funny name "Magglio Ordonez." It ties well with our situation involving Rowand,Harris. Not that they will ever be Maggs/Lee, but both could become valuable in the future. Give them a chance, dammit! :)

I lost a lot of respect for Willie this weekend after I saw him every night standing in the 2nd floor area of the Hyatt smoking cigarettes. Just what I love to see out of our 2nd baseman.

I told Steff after she asked about Willie in the Q & A that he'll be optioned to AAA by May 1st and I'm sticking to it.

I lost a lot of respect for Willie this weekend after I saw him every night standing in the 2nd floor area of the Hyatt smoking cigarettes.  Just what I love to see out of our 2nd baseman.

I told Steff after she asked about Willie in the Q & A that he'll be optioned to AAA by May 1st and I'm sticking to it.

Many of the Great Ball players were smokers. Look at Bobby Bonds. So you're saying that if i told you i smoked you won't respect me? (Just a question not starting s***)

Many of the Great Ball players were smokers. Look at Bobby Bonds. So you're saying that if i told you i smoked you won't respect me? (Just a question not starting s***)

I am just saying that as a casual observer it is not a good impression to me (or other fans) to see Willie Harris, a virtually unproven young player standing in the hotel smoking cigarettes at Soxfest while kids are walking around getting autographs and being awestruck by the players. Add to the fact that for an professional athlete it's awful for your health and I just didn't like what I saw. And to answer your other question, I could care less whether you smoke or not. You're not our opening day second baseman.

I suppose whoever closed that thread thought SSI was starting s***.  Even though it had almost no indications of exploding.....just because he disagrees with Steff doesn't dictate someone playing thread-god.

As for that hot month where he batted .420, it should be excluded as a indication of success.  Of course I'm worried about Willie as our starting second basemen, but I strongly believe he should be given a chance.  Last week, Williams alluded to several years ago when he convinced fans to start two no names: "Carlos Lee" and the guy with the funny name "Magglio Ordonez." It ties well with our situation involving Rowand,Harris.  Not that they will ever be Maggs/Lee, but both could become valuable in the future.  Give them a chance, dammit! :)

Thank you sir. Yes you can thank southside2k4 for shutting down your thread. He determined that I was disagreeing with Steff to instigate a fight. Instead he decided to instigate a fight with me and then shut down the thread. He has taken it upon himself to be Steff's protecter. he is her right hand man, her lackey, and her ass kisser. Has there ever been a time where he has not agreed with her? When he has not kissed her ass? I doubt you can find a time where he has had an opinion of his own and disagreed with her. That is who you can blame for shutting it down. THREAD KILLER!

I could care less whether you smoke or not. You're not our opening day second baseman.

Well Thanks a Lot... :lol:

You got some points tho, I just thought you didn't like him cause he smoked. Willie will get his chance if he blows it it's his own fault. ;)

I lost a lot of respect for Willie this weekend after I saw him every night standing in the 2nd floor area of the Hyatt smoking cigarettes.  Just what I love to see out of our 2nd baseman.

I hate that too, but doesn't the great Mario Lemieux smoke? It takes a lot of stamina to play hockey. Then agains when was the last time he played a whole season.

I am just saying that as a casual observer it is not a good impression to me (or other fans) to see Willie Harris, a virtually unproven young player standing in the hotel smoking cigarettes at Soxfest while kids are walking around getting autographs and being awestruck by the players.  Add to the fact that for an professional athlete it's awful for your health and I just didn't like what I saw.  And to answer your other question, I could care less whether you smoke or not.  You're not our opening day second baseman.

Hell, be glad cigarettes were all he was smoking..... lol

I do not profess to know the smoking habits of one Willie Harris, but I do know that it is by no means uncommon for the cigarette of choice amongst to be of the left-handed variety.

what scares me most about harris....he couldnt beat out that bum jiminez... :o

Baggs, I am going to be open-minded and patient with Willie. He has never overly impressed me, but I have only seen him play here and there. He has preformed well in the Minors and, like Rowand, has been thrust into more of a part-time role which can easily limit his effectiveness.

I don't think he had much of a choice to beat out DJ last year. Hell, Miles beat out both of them, but KW wouldn't let JM keep him.

Give Willie until June before you start bashing him again, k? Let's let the kid have an opportunity to show what he can do on a regular basis.

I think Harris deserves the chance.

But if he stinks it up for a month and half, that's enough for me to explore a trade for a 2B or get Uribe in there if I'm KW...

By the way, KW hardly mentioned Uribe at all this weekend. I guess he's pretty much pegged in for a bench/utility role at this point. It'll be interesting to see what they do if Uribe plays a lot better than Harris out in Tucson.

One thing I got a kick out of is KW talking about Harris was a big time prospect when he came over from the Orioles when he was asked that question by Steff. If my memory serves me correct, we acquired him for Singleton and I don't remember Harris being hailed as anything special when we acquired him. I don't know if anyone else noticed that, but KW did indeed say that Harris was a TOP prospect when we got him.

I lost a lot of respect for Willie this weekend after I saw him every night standing in the 2nd floor area of the Hyatt smoking cigarettes.

It won't affect his speed, that's for sure. Mark Grace used to smoke a pack of Marlboros per day, and we can all remember what a burner he was on the basepaths.

:lolhitting

But if he stinks it up for a month and half, that's enough for me to explore a trade for a 2B or get Uribe in there if I'm KW...

I think Ozzie/Kenny give Willie 6 weeks, which is exactly what you said. If he's not hitting his weight, then I'm sure Uribe will be at 2nd, or they'll move Jose over there and stick Uribe at SS. I can't see Kenny going out and signing anyone or trading for anyone.

Harris certainly deserves hit shot. But the again, so did Aaron Miles. He actually earned his in ST and never got it. But that is old news. I hope Willie learns to "slap and run" from the batters box. I don't care if he ever hits a home run, just put the ball in play and run like hell.

But the again, so did Aaron Miles

Willie is twice the fielder and twice the baserunner Aaron Miles was.

And he actually outhit him in AAA despite being younger.

People b**** aboout Rowand, Uribe and Harris being parodies of starting Major leaguers.... Miles made them look like All-Stars.

Yas,

You're right on about Willie needing to be a slap hitter. One thing I remember about him is that once he hit a deep fly ball, he would start upper-cutting a little more with the bat. Juan Pierre didn't hit one homerun last year, and yet he was more dangerous than any of the big boppers in the Marlins lineup. (And I'm not saying that Willie Harris will ever be as good as Juan Pierre).

I would love to see Willie choke up on the bat and just slap at the ball - ala Nellie Fox.

Willie is twice the fielder and twice the baserunner Aaron Miles was.

And he actually outhit him in AAA despite being younger.

People b**** aboout Rowand, Uribe and Harris being parodies of starting Major leaguers.... Miles made them look like All-Stars.

You are probably 100% correct. However, that doesn't change the fact the in JM's eyes, he beat Willie out in ST last year.

But like I said, thats why I love Hawk. He knows Willie is what we got, so he will talk him up as much as he can. And even if he is talking soooo far out his ass, and everyone knows it, I still love it, cause he is trying to get the fans excited for the guy, and I resepct that. He knows what we got, and he is going to live with it.

That's why I LURVE Hawk, the ambassador of Optimism and Genuinety.

And of Kwan.

:notworthy

Thank you sir. Yes you can thank southside2k4 for shutting down your thread. He determined that I was disagreeing with Steff to instigate a fight. Instead he decided to instigate a fight with me and then shut down the thread. He has taken it upon himself to be Steff's protecter. he is her right hand man, her lackey, and her ass kisser. Has there ever been a time where he has not agreed with her? When he has not kissed her ass? I doubt you can find a time where he has had an opinion of his own and disagreed with her. That is who you can blame for shutting it down. THREAD KILLER!

Relax, SS2K4 is just showing why he is a 1st rate Mod.

After being pounded in the ass by the likes of clujer and bmr (smart trolls who knew how to engineer a fight with nary a word) for months on end, it's cool to see the Mod Squad being proactive, sensing things before they escalate....doing their job for a change.

Irish......get over St*ff and never reply to any of her posts again. That will show everybody that you're indeed a bigger man. There are literally a 1000 posters on this site. Get to know them. Build a relationship with them. Smoke some weed. Something.

Yas,

You're right on about Willie needing to be a slap hitter.  One thing I remember about him is that once he hit a deep fly ball, he would start upper-cutting a little more with the bat.  Juan Pierre didn't hit one homerun last year, and yet he was more dangerous than any of the big boppers in the Marlins lineup.  (And I'm not saying that Willie Harris will ever be as good as Juan Pierre).

I would love to see Willie choke up on the bat and just slap at the ball - ala Nellie Fox.

That's exactly what Ozzie's goin to do this year. He's goin to try and turn Willie Harris into his own version of Juan Pierre. Problem is though, Pierre played in such a big stadium where it was much easier to put da ball into play and get on base, Willie won't hav that luxury. I think he should really be battin at #9 to start da season but we don't hav any1 else who will be able to leadoff.