Hawk Harrelson talking about........

Rex Hudler

I would have Konerko lead off, just for laughs.  If the Sox end up mediocre, then they should at least be entertaining. :bang

At least he wouldn't ground into as many double plays leadin off either. That's goota be a plus. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he had much of a choice to beat out DJ last year.  Hell, Miles beat out both of them, but KW wouldn't let JM keep him.

Why wouldn't KW let JM have Aaron Miles as starting 2b?

And, what do you think of this business of failed GM Harrelson claiming that JM was responsible for Harris's performance last year because he allegedly forced Harris to bunt?

Why wouldn't KW let JM have Aaron Miles as starting 2b?

And, what do you think of this business of failed GM Harrelson claiming that JM was responsible for Harris's performance last year because he allegedly forced Harris to bunt?

KW has final say on player personnel moves and he thought the guy he acquired (Jiminez) should be the starter at 2B. Manuel liked Miles and wanted to keep him, but KW vetoed it.

I thought Hawk's comment was interesting. He is basically saying the opposite of what everyone is saying here. I think they should just let Willie play his game and adjust accordingly. I don't think he needs a makeover just yet. In fact, I think half his time with the Sox has involved different people telling him to do things different ways.

I think he should really be battin at #9 to start da season but we don't hav any1 else who will be able to leadoff.

I agree 100%. Willie should definitely be the #9 hitter. Smartest post of the day, DBAHO.

By the way, what does DBAHO mean? Is it similar to the Spanish abajo?

I remember last year after we picked up Alomar and Everett, Willie and Rowand went back to the bench. They never b****ed. The rest of the year Hawk and DJ talked about how hard those two were working. From the article in last weeks Trib it sounds like at least Rowand is busting hump trying to improve himself. Though hard work doesn't always translate into talent, it's good to see someone working so hard to improve themselves. It's probably time to give them a shot to sink or swim. They would be the type of players you'd like to see succeed. With Frank, Maggs, CLee and PK they don't have to be studs, just get the job done.

I will definately root for Willie and Aaron. Like Beebee mentions, they were nothing but classy in the way they handled their promotion.

I will also constantly say that Jimenez was a superior player to Aaron Miles. Sorry, but I still don't know why the Sox dealt him. Jimenez is a quality player and while he may have some alternate issues he was an incredibly smart player and some things he did were blown way out of proportion, imo.

I think Harris will turn into a solid player. He's never gotten any playing time and I hope Guillen just lets him relax and play, once that happens I think we'll see Harris play pretty damn good. I also disagree on Hawk for saying him bunting too much hurt him.

My butt, he should be able to bunt for a hit a few times a week as a starter and that will bring the infielders in, making the holes bigger in the infield, so if he does slap the ball, he'll have a greater shot of it being a hit.

I do wish he could spend a year in the 9 hole, but that doesn't look like an option.

From Hawk on the Score today when defending Willie..........

Willie batted 420 in the minors, with about 12 doubles and 5 triples  (note: why was that thread closed??)

I am getting sick of this as a defense for Willie Harris.  First of all, let me say, I am not bashing him, nor am I against him getting a shot to play everday, but the use of those stats are ridiculous. 

Willie hit .420 in AAA in 2003 in ONLY 81 AB's!.  He has one good month.  He went back to AAA in June for a week and his average dropped 40 points.  Hitting .420 in a month is better than hitting .120, but give me a break with this. 

In 2002, he hit .283 in 89 games in AAA.  He hit .305 in 133 games in AA in 2001.  So he does have a pretty good Minor League resume, but let's get off this one hot month crap for a defense of his readiness, please!!

Rex.. this was my question Saturday morning. Why are we counting on Willie Harris..? He's done nothing to prove he's going to be anything more than an experiment out there. No back up plan, no nothing. :headshake

And Jason.. they dealt Jiminez because of his tude, remember.. :lol:

Rex.. this was my question Saturday morning. Why are we counting on Willie Harris..? He's done nothing to prove he's going to be anything more than an experiment out there. No back up plan, no nothing.  :headshake

And Jason.. they dealt Jiminez because of his tude, remember..  :lol:

Oh I remember and I remember disagreeing with everyone on this issue. Jimenez is one of the better 2nd basemans in baseball. Not the best, but he was a bargain at what the Sox were paying him, imo.

Oh I remember and I remember disagreeing with everyone on this issue.  Jimenez is one of the better 2nd basemans in baseball.  Not the best, but he was a bargain at what the Sox were paying him, imo.

We couldn't get rid of him soon enough.

Maybe he would have improved with a swift kick in the ass from ozzie, but under JM he couldn't cut it.

Jimenez will not be a mainstay with the Reds.

Oh I remember and I remember disagreeing with everyone on this issue.  Jimenez is one of the better 2nd basemans in baseball.  Not the best, but he was a bargain at what the Sox were paying him, imo.

He was better than Willie is today. I'll give you that one :P

He was better than Willie is today. I'll give you that one  :P

That isn't saying much.

Until Harris realizes he is no longer in Charlotte (a small field where he hit a few homers) and starts slapping the ball and getting on that way, he is going to be a mediocre player.

I think that is our major hole this season, as I think Rowand will excel in center.

That isn't saying much.

Until Harris realizes he is no longer in Charlotte (a small field where he hit a few homers) and starts slapping the ball and getting on that way, he is going to be a mediocre player.

I think that is our major hole this season, as I think Rowand will excel in center.

I think Willie would have a much better chance of succeeding if they put him 9th in the order and left him there. He doesn't need the added pressure of leading off.

I lost a lot of respect for Willie this weekend after I saw him every night standing in the 2nd floor area of the Hyatt smoking cigarettes.  Just what I love to see out of our 2nd baseman.

I told Steff after she asked about Willie in the Q & A that he'll be optioned to AAA by May 1st and I'm sticking to it.

Smoking cigars? are you kidding??!! god forbid!! oh no!! not cigars!!

lol. i'm sorry but i dont see anything wrong with having some cigars.

edit: lol....i was thinking cigars instead of cigs. lol. but still. i dont see the big deal.

Smoking cigars?  are you kidding??!!  god forbid!!  oh no!!  not cigars!! 

lol.  i'm sorry but i dont see anything wrong with having some cigars.

Cigars were not what he was smoking.

He did have a few cigars in the bar, but when he was standing over the escalator he was smoking cigarettes, not cigars my friend. I stood there and saw him smoke 4 or 5.

I personally don't smoke and don't know why people smoke (although I don't really care if they do smoke, although I must admit the few friends I got that do smoke, I always try to get them to stop, lol) but for a professional athlete to smoke it just doesn't make sense.

He's obviously in great shape, but I'd think you would want to do everything and anything possible to make you a better athlete, etc, and to me smoking wouldn't exactly fit that bill (unless you were on a diet...maybe we should of got Bartolo to smoke, since it supposedly supresses your diet). :lol:

And anyhow, it doesn't matter because after he stinks for the first 6 weeks, someone else will take over his playing time permanently.

Aboz, please don't say that. Harris needs as many supporters as possible. He needs positive attitudes to push him into a positive direction. I believe we need Harris to do well in order to contend. I am personally rooting for him to do well, because if he doesn't our team probably wont do well. If he sucks for the first 6 weeks of the season, we will not be doing very well. This goes for every player on the white sox. Lets root for our guys to do well. I havent seen Harris say or do anything in a negative light. LETS GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!