Griffey Jr a Sox?

southsidehitmen01

I know this is just someone talking but according to someone on the sox mlb message board a deal is "close" to being made sending billy Koch and Paul Konerko to the Reds for Griff and Chris Reitsma anyone else heard this ??? I think it may be a good deal looking at Reitsma s stats (9-5 12 saves 4.29 era) but griffey would have to be fulltime dh for more than just fear of injury which would leave big frank to be full time first base. i hope it stays just a rumor, thoughts? :fthecubs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a deal is "close" to being made sending billy Koch and Paul Konerko to the Reds for Griff and Chris Reitsma anyone else heard this ???

There was a deal "close" of being made a few months ago to send Konerko to the Dodgers for Perez. Which uni is Konerko still in now? These rumors are not gonna happen. KW said it himself at soxfest. This is the team were going into in spring training.

every few months we get a Griffey rumor -

it would ne a horrible thing to do to the Sox to have him on the roster

Koch and Konerko make more than Griffey.

One is an overrated mental case with a genetic hip condition and the other saw his 100mph go down to 92 in 1 year. Talk about injuries...

Griff is not in his prime and is no longer a GG, but he is still a good slugger and better defensively than Aaron or Willie.....when not on DL.

Plus the instant name recognition. Lee-Thomas-Maggs-Griffey as 2-3-4-6? You gotta be kidding me!

I'd do the deal in a HEARTBEAT.

And then b**** like crazy when Griffey's career ends with a knee injury and the Sox are on the hook paying him $12.5 million through 2008! :lol:

if we did that trade...id play griffey at first to prolong his career...out the four..the only one who is not at risk at having his career end at any second due to injury is rietsma

just the chance of having griffey and thomas return to their mid 90's form is worth the risk for me..if they did we'd have thomas - griffey - maggs at 3-4-5...

and if griffey breaks his knee and konerko and botch go on to fix their careers...oh well...ive given up on this season already and next year , if botch returns to save 30 plus and konerko to hit 35 homers then we'd never pay them anyways and they walk..so whats the difference...both are gone after this season either way

the Sox are on the hook paying him $12.5 million through 2008!

Wait, I thought he was only signed through '06.

I figured sooner or later he's bound to stay healthy for the entire years. What makes you think he will have a knee injury? Did Bonds or Sosa ever have those?

What makes you think he will have a knee injury?  Did Bonds or Sosa ever have those?

Bonds and Sosa are slower, bigger, older, and don't make the high risk catches Griffey does. He goes all out for every single play, which does have disadvantages as well. Plus, he plays at center. Bonds and Sosa play the corners. Griffey has more field to cover to get to balls. Also, his injuries are more freaky/flukey.

See, I dont understand how you can just say "Griffy is due for ANOTHER great year, and Koch will never be the same" Griffy hasnt had a good year in 4 years, while Koch had one bad season. Give me a break.

I think he meant as far as Koch not being the same again is rediscovering his fastball. If that wasn't what he meant, then I dunno what the hell he's talking about. And for griffey having another great year, I think he meant having another great year like he did in the past... even though what he meant made no sense.. :lol:

I know what he means, but EVERY year, especailly in fantasy baseball how Griffy is going "bounce back" and have another great season. Im still waiting. He is damaged goods. Every season something happens, and im sick of waiting for him to come back to form. He has played in a third of the Reds games since he has been there. I dont want anything to do with that.

I think Griffey just needs a change of ceanery. I don't think he would be as pressured to stay healthy in his home town then to go somewhere else. That's why reports say he wants to go back to Seattle where he has success. Those "injuries" were mostly freak accidents that happened to a great player. I don't think that'll happen to him again if he went to the American league where he could DH, and play alittle center.

See, I dont understand how you can just say "Griffy is due for ANOTHER great year, and Koch will never be the same" Griffy hasnt had a good year in 4 years, while Koch had one bad season. Give me a break.

Koch lost 7 MPH off of his fastball. That is what I meant. A power pitcher cannot lose 7 mph and be the same pitcher. Nor can he gain it back in one offseason. Griffey is "due" for another great year because if he didnt get hurt at all for one whole season, he would put up huge numbers. That is a risk I'm willing to take, because Konerko and Koch are prone to injury too, and the upside for Griffey is way more than Koch and Konerko.

someone else chime in here, I want to know what everyone else thinks.

The knock on this trade is that Griff is signed for 5 more years.

Were his contract to run out after, say, 2005 or even 2006, then it would a compltely different story.

BUT.....Konerko is one of the most overrated, overpaid players in the game. See next to last page of the "AM1000" thread for reasons why.

Koch? You don't just lose 5-8mph of your fastball. He was overrated even when he threw 100, but at least he was legitimately above-average. In 2004, he may post a 5.50 ERA very easily.

Griffey? HOF ceiling. 1000 OPS and GG defense. His recent injuries have robbed him of 20SB speed, but so what? I could live with that if he gives me very good defense and 900+ OPS.

He makes, what, 12 Mill a year? He gives back a couple just because of attendance, ratings, media coverage and merchandise boost he brings. So you're takling about a 9-10 Mill a year player. Konerko and Koch make 14.8 Mill. I am not sure about Reitsma, though.

Again, I believe he can stay healthy. But because of the LENGHT of the contract, it will be a big gamble to take him on.

Those "injuries" were mostly freak accidents that happened to a great player.

THat is the one major upside in my opinion. He is not easily breakable, he just happens to have a lot of wierd injuries that happen when you least expect it. Let remember that before he hurt himself last season, he was finally stating to get back on his feet.

Wait, I thought he was only signed through '06.

I figured sooner or later he's bound to stay healthy for the entire years.  What makes you think he will have a knee injury?  Did Bonds or Sosa ever have those?

2000: $12.5M [$5.5M of 2000 salary deferred until 2009+]

2001: $12.5M [$6.5M from subsequent years deferred until 2009-2024]

2002: $12.5M

2003: $12.5M

2004: $12.5M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $12.5M

2007: $12.5M

2008: $12.5M

2009: Team option with $4.0M buyout

The knee injury comment was just to show the risk involved. Do you really see the White Sox taking on that kind of commitment on a partly uninsurable player?

2000: $12.5M  [$5.5M of 2000 salary deferred until 2009+]

2001: $12.5M  [$6.5M from subsequent years deferred until 2009-2024]

2002: $12.5M

2003: $12.5M

2004: $12.5M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $12.5M

2007: $12.5M

2008: $12.5M

2009: Team option with $4.0M buyout

The knee injury comment was just to show the risk involved.  Do you really see the White Sox taking on that kind of commitment on a partly uninsurable player?

Everyone b****es about Kong, whom I would love to see back this year, but seem to be on the Griffey bandwagon, I don't understand it.

and if griffey breaks his knee and konerko and botch go on to fix their careers...oh well...ive given up on this season already and next year , if botch returns to save 30 plus and konerko to hit 35 homers then we'd never pay them anyways and they walk..so whats the difference...

The DIFFERENCE is the Sox would still be on the hook for $50 million dollars AFTER this season. That my friend is a huge difference that could indeed cripple this franchise financially 10x more than it is today. What if Griffey doesn't get hurt, but never gets back to superstar status? Are you willing to pay him that coin if he hits .275 with 25 HR and 80 RBI? I don't think so.