Frank Thomas

DBAHO

Hmm Interestin, from da Trib,

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Frank Thomas says he's happy and there seems to be no reason to doubt him. But if there is something bugging Thomas, it has nothing to do with Ozzie Guillen and more to do with his paycheck.

Like just about everyone who works for a living, Thomas wishes his were a little bigger.

"I do feel contractually there is a respect level for what you have done for so many years and I don't feel I'm [getting] that right now," he said. "But I can't complain about the money I make."

Thomas exercised his option for this season at $6 million after briefly testing the free-agent waters. Thomas will have an option for $8 million next season with the Sox holding an option for $11 million for 2006.

That's not exactly A-Rod money or even Magglio Ordonez money, but it's not bad either. Thomas said he has gotten over the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, although he said it was an embarrassment.

"I told people I was the first player last year to have a guaranteed contract taken away and I was bitter about it," Thomas said. "But you know what? I got over it."

While everyone assumed Thomas would have a problem with Guillen, it seems as though the bigger issues surrounded Thomas and general manager Ken Williams.

"You know I darn well said I wasn't happy I didn't hear from him during the off-season," Williams said. "There are compensation issues that he's on record as saying before, and they are still there. … He had an option to go out and test the market, and he wanted to be here."

Thomas said his salary might reflect the fact he's primarily a designated hitter. Perhaps if he played the field more, he said, he would make more money.

"I'm not going to complain about it," Thomas said. "I still have to go out and work my butt off and not hold grudges."

Hmm Interestin, from da Trib,

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Frank Thomas says he's happy and there seems to be no reason to doubt him. But if there is something bugging Thomas, it has nothing to do with Ozzie Guillen and more to do with his paycheck.

Like just about everyone who works for a living, Thomas wishes his were a little bigger.

"I do feel contractually there is a respect level for what you have done for so many years and I don't feel I'm [getting] that right now," he said. "But I can't complain about the money I make."

Thomas exercised his option for this season at $6 million after briefly testing the free-agent waters. Thomas will have an option for $8 million next season with the Sox holding an option for $11 million for 2006.

That's not exactly A-Rod money or even Magglio Ordonez money, but it's not bad either. Thomas said he has gotten over the "diminished skills" clause in his contract, although he said it was an embarrassment.

"I told people I was the first player last year to have a guaranteed contract taken away and I was bitter about it," Thomas said. "But you know what? I got over it."

While everyone assumed Thomas would have a problem with Guillen, it seems as though the bigger issues surrounded Thomas and general manager Ken Williams.

"You know I darn well said I wasn't happy I didn't hear from him during the off-season," Williams said. "There are compensation issues that he's on record as saying before, and they are still there. … He had an option to go out and test the market, and he wanted to be here."

Thomas said his salary might reflect the fact he's primarily a designated hitter. Perhaps if he played the field more, he said, he would make more money.

"I'm not going to complain about it," Thomas said. "I still have to go out and work my butt off and not hold grudges."

I really have a hard time finding sympathy for someone who gets paid millions of dollars a year to play sports when there are people out there with jobs that are far more important that dont get paid s***. Cry me a river.

I really have a hard time finding sympathy for someone who gets paid millions of dollars a year to play sports when there are people out there with jobs that are far more important that dont get paid s***.  Cry me a river.

Professional Athletes ......... Always want more. :lol:

Yes. this is really a major b**** session. :rolleyes:

I don't know guys, but I don't see this as whining at all.  They ask questions and he yes I feel that way, but it's no big deal.

What's the problem here?  :huh

He was definitely whining, YAS, and he brought it up on the radio interview I heard without being specifically asked about his pay or contract.

He was asked about his apparently happy mood and he said something along the lines of "I am happy, well, you're never happy about everything..." and then went off on his salary complaint.

Wore out the already overworked "respect for what I've accomplished" routine, forgetting or omitting that HE signed a contract which allowed the Sox to reduce his salary if he didn't reach certain goals. Nobody had the gun to his head, he signed it, so he has to live with it. End of story....at least it SHOULD be....

I don't know guys, but I don't see this as whining at all.  They ask questions and he yes I feel that way, but it's no big deal.

What's the problem here?  :huh

there is no problem...notice the only 2 people being interviewed so far are thomas and ordonez...if they get all the questions everyone else can concentrate on getting ready for the season...frank's doing a great job so far

I'm sorry was this article from 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, or a projection for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 . . .?

Frank, shut the f*** up. No matter why, how, what you say, it always comes out bad. He has to have the worse PR skills of anyone.

The only problem I see here is that Thomas like many other players equate respect wtih dollars. Paying me more means you respect me more. Well unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. The mindset is certainly not exclusive to Frank.

That said, if someone asked me about my job, I would answer in a similar way. It may not be about the money, my answer would be more general. Something like "I really enjoy what I do, but like any job, there are things you don't like. I am smart enough to know that I am pretty lucky to do what I do, but its not perfect by any meants." That answer carries the same tone as Frank's, Frank was just more specific in what he doesn't like. So what. Frank doesn't need to be 100% happy. Hell, if he were, he probably be too content and not perform as well. Frank just needs to mind his P's and Q's with the media and think team first and Frank second. If he can do that even marginally better than he has in the past, then there will be no problems this season at all.

The only problem I see here is that Thomas like many other players equate respect wtih dollars.  Paying me more means you respect me more.  Well unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way.  The mindset is certainly not exclusive to Frank.

That said, if someone asked me about my job, I would answer in a similar way.  It may not be about the money, my answer would be more general.  Something like "I really enjoy what I do, but like any job, there are things you don't like.  I am smart enough to know that I am pretty lucky to do what I do, but its not perfect by any meants."  That answer carries the same tone as Frank's, Frank was just more specific in what he doesn't like.  So what.  Frank doesn't need to be 100% happy.  Hell, if he were, he probably be too content and not perform as well.  Frank just needs to mind his P's and Q's with the media and think team first and Frank second.  If he can do that even marginally better than he has in the past, then there will be no problems this season at all.

Great point, Rex. ;)

They are trying to make a "non-story" a "story"..

Frank can't win, if he says anything that isn't straight from the Crash Davis School, he's whining.  If he says nothing, he's ripped for that.  I wish everybody else would STFU and let Frank play ball.

I'll STFU if Frank will.

But neither of us really will.

By the way, PLEASE don't equate my distaste for Frank's sour grapes with any criticism of his hitting skills - he is STILL the greatest hitter ever to wear the Sox uniform, he is also maybe the most sensitive and b****y person to wear it, too.

One does NOT negate the other, in either direction.

My God, why are some of you trying to make an issue out of nothing. Frank said he didn't like the fact that he was the 1st athlete to have a guaranteed contract taken away, but he also said that with what he makes, he really couldn't complain. STOP TRYING TO FIND FAULT WITH THE MAN AND LET HIM PLAY!!!! :angry:

Frank can't win, if he says anything that isn't straight from the Crash Davis School, he's whining.  If he says nothing, he's ripped for that.  I wish everybody else would STFU and let Frank play ball.

yea. i really didnt see the big deal with it. it is not like he is demanding a new contract. he said he wish he was getting paid more but he really can complain with what he gets. and yes, 6 mill for a hitter like him is under market.

Yes. this is really a major b**** session.  :rolleyes:

Agreed.

He said "I do feel contractually there is a respect level for what you have done for so many years and I don't feel I'm [getting] that right now ... but I can't complain about the money I make." To me that says "I feel I am being disrespected by the team because of what they are paying me. Konerko will makes $1.5 mill more then me, yet, he is a worse all-around player then me, other then throwing the ball around. Carlos Lee is due to make $15 mill over the next 2 years...are they saying he is worth more to this team then me? And Magglio Ordonez is making $14 mill, and while he is a great player, he is either not worth $14 mill, or I am worth more then $6 mill, considering I did have a better year then him last year offensively." Personally, I feel anyone would feel this way. If you and two buddies are working at McDonalds and you are getting $6 an hour and you can flip 50 patties per minute along with being able to wrap 20 sandwiches in a minute, though you are not the best with customer service. One of your buddies(let's call him Ted), is getting $7.50 an hour but can only flip 40 patties per minute and can only wrap 15 sandwiches a minute, and he is just a little better then you as far as customer service is concerned. Your other buddy(let's call him Jim Bob) can flip 60 patties a minute and can wrap 25 sandwiches in a minute, but is making $11.50 an hour. If you went to your boss, would you not have a legit beef(no pun intended, because McDonalds hamburgers probably aren't even made of beef anyways :) )?

Given, I am talking about a little dough for some grub and leisurely spending now and then in my analogy, while Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, and Magglio Ordonez are multi-millionares because they can play a children's game very, very well. However, I think it gets the general principle out there.

He does have a right to talk about this. The way he words it though, and the way people look at it, they can see it as whining, and while they may not be wrong, you should atleast look at both sides of something before reacting.

He said "I told people I was the first player last year to have a guaranteed contract taken away and I was bitter about it ... but you know what? I got over it." To me, he is saying to the reporters "they took money from me that was mine...big deal, I still have more money than all your asses will ever see" only not with the stuckup portrayal...or if he were being nice, he is basically saying I have all the money I need, though I'm mad they took other money away from me, however, it's over and done with. They did give me a $1 million loan, so I should be thankful for that.

I agree with Yas and I therefore I also agree with cw...this is a non-issue, but people are trying to make it into one. Don't, and it will go away.

Agreed. 

He said "I do feel contractually there is a respect level for what you have done for so many years and I don't feel I'm [getting] that right now ... but I can't complain about the money I make."  To me that says "I feel I am being disrespected by the team because of what they are paying me.  Konerko will makes $1.5 mill more then me, yet, he is a worse all-around player then me, other then throwing the ball around.  Carlos Lee is due to make $15 mill over the next 2 years...are they saying he is worth more to this team then me?  And Magglio Ordonez is making $14 mill, and while he is a great player, he is either not worth $14 mill, or I am worth more then $6 mill, considering I did have a better year then him last year offensively."  Personally, I feel anyone would feel this way.  If you and two buddies are working at McDonalds and you are getting $6 an hour and you can flip 50 patties per minute along with being able to wrap 20 sandwiches in a minute, though you are not the best with customer service.  One of your buddies(let's call him Ted), is getting $7.50 an hour but can only flip 40 patties per minute and can only wrap 15 sandwiches a minute, and he is just a little better then you as far as customer service is concerned.  Your other buddy(let's call him Jim Bob) can flip 60 patties a minute and can wrap 25 sandwiches in a minute, but is making $11.50 an hour.  If you went to your boss, would you not have a legit beef(no pun intended, because McDonalds hamburgers probably aren't even made of beef anyways  :) )?

Given, I am talking about a little dough for some grub and leisurely spending now and then in my analogy, while Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, and Magglio Ordonez are multi-millionares because they can play a children's game very, very well.  However, I think it gets the general principle out there. 

He does have a right to talk about this.  The way he words it though, and the way people look at it, they can see it as whining, and while they may not be wrong, you should atleast look at both sides of something before reacting. 

He said "I told people I was the first player last year to have a guaranteed contract taken away and I was bitter about it ... but you know what? I got over it."  To me, he is saying to the reporters "they took money from me that was mine...big deal, I still have more money than all your asses will ever see" only not with the stuckup portrayal...or if he were being nice, he is basically saying I have all the money I need, though I'm mad they took other money away from me, however, it's over and done with.  They did give me a $1 million loan, so I should be thankful for that.

I agree with Yas and I therefore I also agree with cw...this is a non-issue, but people are trying to make it into one.  Don't, and it will go away.

Let's hope Frank breaks out for a 1100 OPS season and we can all have a laugh about this schitzophrenic off-season in November.