Sox Top 30 Prospects

Rex Hudler

Here is the list....... I'll let someone else do the honor of typing the scouting reports on each player.

Rank Player Position, Bats, Throws Opening Day 2004 Age

1. Jeremy Reed, OF, B-L, T-L - 22

2. Kris Honel, RHP - 21

3. Neal Cotts, LHP - 24

4. Ryan Sweeney, OF, B-L, T-L - 19

5. Joe Borchard, OF, B-S, T-R - 25

6. Ryan Wing, LHP - 22

7. Brian Anderson, OF, B-R, T-R - 22

8. Shingo Takatsu, RHP - 35

9. Chris Young, OF B-R, T-R - 20

10. Arnie Munoz, LHP - 21

11. Brandon McCarthy, RHP - 20

12. Brian Miller, RHP - 21

13. Robert Valido, SS, B-R, T-R - 18

14. Jon Rauch, RHP - 25

15. Enemencio Pacheco, RHP - 25

16. Fabio Castro, LHP - 19

17. Mike Morse, SS, B-R, T-R - 22

18. Felix Diaz, RHP - 23

19. Ryan Meaux, LHP - 25

20. Pedro Lopez, 2B/SS, B-R, T-R - 19

21. Micah Schnursteain, 3B, B-R, T-R - 19

22. Corwin Malone, LHP - 23

23. Antoin Gray, 2B/3B, B-R, T-R - 22

24. Ricardo Nanita, OF, B-L, T-L - 22

25. Andy Gonzalez, SS, B-R, T-R - 22

26. Tim Tisch, LHP - 24 (Turns 24 on 3rd day of season)

27. Ruddy Yan, 2B, B-S, T-R - 23

28. Josh Stewart, LHP - 25

29. Orionny Lopez, RHP - 20

30. Jason Stumm, RHP - 23 (Turns 23 on 5th day of season)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to see Morse so high as well.  Also, a bit surprised that Nanita was so low. 

Ya, I'd of definately had Nanita higher and Morse quite a bit lower. Another thing is, I saw Tim Tisch on there and yet no Majewski. I know Tisch put up some good numbers, but Majewski has put up good numbers in AAA and has a stellar arm.

It was also interesting to see Orionny so low. I'd probably have him ahead of Fabio, who I like a whole lot, but both are top 15 prospects, imo.

They definately see big things from Miller and I'm shocked Stumm is that high, considering the huge questionmark known as his arm.

does morse have a real chance??..what about gonzalez???...we need a REAL SS prospect REAL bad

I know very little about Morse.... Gonzalez is toolsy, but questionable mentally, or so I hear. Morse's numbers just don't impress me. BA's write up talked about his power as being his biggest asset, yet he only hit 11 HR this year and never hit more than 4 in his three previous seasons. He hit .245 at Winston last year.

I will have to wait and see, but I am just not sure what come see in him.

This has prob been posted already, but Reed was named the 16th best prospect from Jonathan Mayo from MLB.com, only White Sox prospect in the top 50.

16 Jeremy Reed, OF, White Sox (128)

2003 stats: [Hi-A] .333 AVG, .431 OBP, .477 SLG [AA] .409 BA/ .474 OBP/ .591 SLG

fxuyWmrJ.jpg

ETA in Majors: 2005

It's hard to find anyone who had a better year in the minors than Reed did last year, putting him on the fast track to Chicago. He'll head to Triple-A, but could be ready to contribute this season if needed.

Rex, if you get time, can you post some of the more interesting capsules, i.e. if there's something we wouldn't already know?

What they have to say about Castro, Gray, and Stumm are of particular interest.

I have not seen the book on the shelves, I plan on buying it when it hits Borders.

Fabio Castro

Born: Jan. 20, 1985 Height: 5'8" Weight: 157 Bats: L Throws: L Career Transactions: Signed out of Dominican Republic by White Sox, Dec. 26, 2001

If his talent came in a bigger package, Castro already would have become a highly touted prospect. Don't be surprised if he emerges as one in the next couple of years. All the undersized lefthander has done for the last two years is get outs, first in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League and then as an 18-year old in the Appalachian League, where he faced mostly hitters coming from college. Castro has very good command of an 89-91 mph fastball, a breaking ball and a changeup. His secondary pitches need more consistency, as is typical with young pitchers. He made two late-season starts in low Class A, impressing with his poise as much as his stuff. Should he catch a growth spurt, he could turn into a monster. He'll return to Kannapolis in 2004 and could get a full-time look as a starter.

CAREER PITCHING RECORD

YR CLUB LG Class W-L .PCT ERA G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H AB TBF R ER HR SH SF HB BB IB SO WP BK AVG AGAINST

02 Chicago Ws DSL R 10-2 .833 1.95 25 2 0 0 17 8 64.2 37 232 258 17 14 3 1 1 3 23 4 89 2 1 .159

03 Bristol APPY R 6-2 .750 1.72 19 0 0 0 10 2 47.0 29 168 190 14 9 1 1 1 1 19 1 59 6 2 .173

Kannapolis SAL A 0-2 .000 3.27 2 2 0 0 0 0 11.0 8 40 45 5 4 0 0 0 0 5 0 16 0 0 .200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINOR LEAGUE TOTALS 16 .727 1.98 4 0 10 74 493 27 2 4 5 8

6 46 0 27 122.2 440 36 4 2 47 164 3

I can't fathom how Reed could be as low as number 25.

that's silly.

I like BA, but their fasicination with 'tools' and draft position is ridiculous.

This kid can hit -- and has proven it for two years.

I'll leave you with this thought:

Three years ago this was Baseball American's Elite Eight

in alphabetical order

Ryan Anderson, Seattle -- injured and will never make it.

Sean Burroughs, San Diego -- solid, but still questions about his power.

Josh Beckett, Florida -- he'll be getting his ring on opening day

Josh Hamilton, Tampa -- just ain't happenin.

Corey Patterson, Can't Say It -- good, but still Ks too much

Jon Rauch, White Sox -- do or die time is here.

C.C. Sabathia -- can be dominating, but it would be nice if he got in shape

Ben Sheets -- another nice pitcher, but hardly a proven No. 1 starter.

Just a reminder on prospect mania

This has prob been posted already, but Reed was named the 16th best prospect from Jonathan Mayo from MLB.com, only White Sox prospect in the top 50.

16 Jeremy Reed, OF, White Sox (128)

2003 stats: [Hi-A] .333 AVG, .431 OBP, .477 SLG [AA] .409 BA/ .474 OBP/ .591 SLG

fxuyWmrJ.jpg

ETA in Majors: 2005

It's hard to find anyone who had a better year in the minors than Reed did last year, putting him on the fast track to Chicago. He'll head to Triple-A, but could be ready to contribute this season if needed.

I love how Delmon Young is rated at #10, ahead of Reed even though he didn't play AT ALL last season. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense... :rolleyes:

My guess is a lot of the reason Reed is down at #25 is that his upside isn't likely as high as some of the others. Reed is probably more of a sure thing, but he projects to be a solid #2 hitter. If he develops further (power), he will drop into the three-hole and exceed expectations.

The best comparison I can come up with is Grady Sizemore of Cleveland who comes in at #9. I am not sure why he is that much higher, unless they think he will be in the Majors this year and factored that in.

Creating a list like that is so difficult because there are so many great players who play different positions and are at different levels of development. I'm sure if they put the list together a week later, there would be variances.

One of the guys that jumped out at me is JJ Hardy at 19. Hardy is a great player and was very good at AA at a young age, but I don't really see his upside any higher than Reed's and Reed is more developed right now, IMO. Hardy may be starting at SS for the Brewers this year and is two years younger than Reed so that may be the reason for the high ranking, but Reed was clearly the better player this year in AA. Both should be in the Big Leagues for a long time, however.

Antoin Gray, 2B/3B

Born: May 19, 1981 Height: 5'9" Weight: 195 Bats: R Throws: R School: Southern University Career Transactions: Selected by White Sox in the 25th round of the 2003 draft; signed June 6, 2003

Gray finished fourth in the NCAA Division I batting race with a .449 average in 2002, finishing behind future first-round picks Rickie Weeks and Khalil Greene, as well as Curtis Granderson, who has hit .304 since signing with the Tigers. One of six players drafted off Southern's 44-7 team last year, Gray hit .407-26-133 in 108 games in his two years in the same lineup as Weeks.

Though he faced a huge jump in competition when he turned pro, there was a minimal learning curve for Gray. He continued to hit, finishing third in the Pioneer League in runs and doubles. He has promising power and a keen eye for walks, though he must improve his bunting and cut down on his strikeouts. Beyond his bat, Gray doesn't have a plus tool. He played third base at Southern while Weeks played second, the position Gray is better suited for. His arm fits better at second base, though he'll need a lot of work defensively, especially on the double-play pivot. If Gray can beocme adequate defensively, he could have a big league career as an offensive second baseman. Unless the White Sox decide to hold Pedro Lopez back, Gray will report to low Class A to start 2004.

CAREER BATTING RECORD

YR Club LG CLASS POS AVG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI GW SH SF HB BB IB SO SB CS GDP SLUG OBP TPA

03 Great Falls PIO R 2B-3B .292 69 277 63 81 125 20 0 8 43 0 2 3 6 49 0 62 4 1 4 .451 .406 337

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINOR LEAGUE TOTALS .292 277 81 20 8 0 3 49 62 1 .451 337

69 63 125 0 43 2 6 0 4 4 .406

Rex' Comments: - Something just doesn't seem right here. I can't figure out why a guy that can hit as well as Gray was selected so low. Obviously his size doesn't appeal to what scouts look for, but I would think with a plus bat including power potential would go higher. He could always move to a corner OF position. Perhaps the Sox found something here. I just wonder why the Sox passed on him 24 times and every other team did at least that many times. What am I missing?