Keady mostly likely leaving Purdue

didn't see this posted yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1767983

After a potential Hall of Fame career at Purdue, Gene Keady could be ready to move to -- of all places -- San Francisco.

And not to retire.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Keady interviewed with University of San Francisco athletic director Bill Hogan on Tuesday on the Dons' campus. Keady wouldn't confirm or deny Thursday that he was on USF's campus for the interview and neither would Hogan.

Keady told his assistants that he would be leaving for California earlier in the week but didn't specify where he was going. Hogan was a head coach and athletic director at St. Joseph's College in Rensselaer, Ind., during 1982-91.

Keady told ESPN.com Thursday that he "has made no decision'' on his future and when he does, "there will be a memo or a statement.''

Hogan interviewed former Dons center and Bulls coach Bill Cartwright and Arizona assistant coach Rodney Tention Wednesday in San Francisco. Hogan also interviewed Connecticut assistant Clyde Vaughan in his search to replace the fired Philip Mathews.

Keady, who is Purdue's all-time winningest (505-249) coach in 24 years at the school, has one season remaining on his contract. Keady has a late afternoon meeting with the players but it's not clear if it's related to the San Francisco interview. Purdue is expected to hold a news conference to address the issue one way or another by Friday afternoon.

Purdue missed the NCAA Tournament in three of the last four seasons. The Boilermakers beat Duke to win the Great Alaska Shootout but finished 17-14 (7-9 in the Big Ten) and lost in the first round of the NIT at Notre Dame.

Keady, 67, is a candidate for the Basketball Hall of Fame -- selections will be announced at the Final Four. Keady led the Boilermakers to 18 NCAA appearances, going 19-18 with two Elite Eight finishes, in 1994 and 2000. Purdue was in the NCAA Tournament in 2003, beating LSU in the first round before losing to Texas.

If Keady leaves Purdue, the Boilermakers would likely move quickly to hire one of three candidates -- former UCLA coach Steve Lavin, who works for ESPN as an analyst; Southern Illinois coach Matt Painter, a former Purdue player; and Purdue assistant Cuonzo Martin. If Lavin is hired, Martin would likely be his top assistant.

I don't know what to think about this. With one year left on the contract you would think the University and Keady would both want to ride it out, but I have a feeling if he leaves it was a mutual decision. I'd be happy with Painter or Cuonzo, I don't want to see Lavin. In a way it's good I'm graduating in May, it'd be weird to come back next year and not see Keady all the time.

So what's the deal; did they say?

the "official" statement said something along the lines of:

Morgan Burke(AD) didn't know that Keady was going to SF to interview this week, but isn't upset. If that's what Keady wants to do, Purdue isn't going to stand in the way. Until Keady decides let him be...yada yada yada

who knows...

the "official" statement said something along the lines of:

Morgan Burke(AD) didn't know that Keady was going to SF to interview this week, but isn't upset.  If that's what Keady wants to do, Purdue isn't going to stand in the way.  Until Keady decides let him be...yada yada yada

who knows...

thanks for the update :headbang

I actually think it could be a good move for Purdue. Keady is a very good coach, but he hasn't been able to get top recruits the past decade or so(with a few exceptions). I think Purdue could use some new blood and I am sure that they would get a solid coach to replace him. Lavin would be top option. I also think their assistant Martin could be a good option. I have heard good things about him and I think he could better relate to top recruits.

I actually think it could be a good move for Purdue. Keady is a very good coach, but he hasn't been able to get top recruits the past decade or so(with a few exceptions). I think Purdue could use some new blood and I am sure that they would get a solid coach to replace him. Lavin would be top option. I also think their assistant Martin could be a good option. I have heard good things about him and I think he could better relate to top recruits.

The fans love Cuonzo around here and I agree that he'd probably do a lot better job of recruiting than Keady has done. I do think that Lavin would be given priority, given his previous sucess.

Keady's done a great job at recruiting good kids who do well in class and graduate(minus Booker), but his recruiting tactics don't cut it anymore. He has to be willing to take a chance here or there on a kid who might not be a perfect student right away.

Hopefully there will be some resolution to this soon... it's taking away all attention off the women's team, not that there is much. :ph34r:

Wow I am so shocked to read this.  I would have figured that if Keady left Purdue it would be to retire.  I can't believe he is going to San Francisco :huh:

See that's exactly what surprised me about hearing this. Purdue129, what's your opinion on the whole thing? Do you hope for him to stay or leave?

See that's exactly what surprised me about hearing this.  Purdue129, what's your opinion on the whole thing?  Do you hope for him to stay or leave?

I still don't know what to think. Right now I'm leaning towards hoping he leaves. Purdue has been loyal to him the last few years(Bruce Webber could easily be on the Purdue sidelines right now), and now it doesn't look like he'll be loyal to them and honor the last year on his contract. It seems like a 99% chance he will NOT get any kind of extension after next year, but he should still feel the need to finish things out.

If I was Morgan Burke, I'd be pretty pissed that he went to interview without alerting the University. The whole campus seems ready for him to go after he pulled this stunt. Most of the discussion has turned from "will he leave?" to "who's the next coach: Lavin, Matta or Painter?"