Paul, Daubach battle for last spot

Guest wsc425

I was reading an article on www.whitesox.com for a spring training prieview, and I came across that if the Sox carry 3 catchers, kiss Daubach goodbye. I really think this would be a good opprotunity for Kenny Williams to cut Josh Paul from the team. Even though we would need someone for the farm system replacement, it would be wise to do this IMO.

I think it would be stupid not to carry Daubach. He's a versatile left-handed bat who can play first base or either corner outfield position and is a real solid bench player to have. To leave him off in favor of a THIRD catcher seems a little silly to me. I'm still surprised that Boston let him go like that, considering they have Tony Clark at first, a guy I've never been sold on.

I think it would be stupid not to carry Daubach. He's a versatile left-handed bat who can play first base or either corner outfield position and is a real solid bench player to have. To leave him off in favor of a THIRD catcher seems a little silly to me. I'm still surprised that Boston let him go like that, considering they have Tony Clark at first, a guy I've never been sold on.

boston has moved fake giambi to first base now

id wager to bet that josh paul has fallen so far off the radar screen that if we sent him to charlotte out of options there is a good chance no one would even bother to pick him up...

when i asked jerry manuel about daubach at soxfest he almost gaurenteed him a roster spot...all daubach has to do is show up this spring and hit the ball hard...he's got a job

I always wanted JP to do well with us but he hasn't taken the opportunity - his best route is to learn every position and become the ultimate ultility player - meanwhile with Daubach, that doesn't seem to leave room for JP. Which will be too bad. But JP has just not lifted his game tio where it needs to be.

Daubach is ten times the player Paul is. I don't care that Josh is a catcher, it isn't like he's good behind the plate. The Sox signed a couple catchers that same day, one of which Burke, could come up if needed.

I'm with The Critic, it would be stupid to leave Daubach off the roster for a 3rd catcher that can't catch and isn't too effective with the bat. Daubach can play left, first, or 3rd in a crunch and has tons of power and was a very productive starter just last season for a pretty good team (Boston).

I like having a veteran catcher with playoff experience on the team.  Josh Paul is as overrated as Willie Harris.  Neither will ever amount to much in the majors.

I disagree with you on Harris, but Harris has yet to show me anything either.

I'm with you on the idea of a veteran catcher. Considering Olivo has no experience with any of these players and the fact that Paul isn't too hot at calling a game, there was a definate need to bring in someone familiar with this staff and good at calling a game. Alomar was the perfect choice. He was cheap and the staff raves about his abilities to call a game. He is also thought to be a future coach and is very willing to teach Olivo.

By the way, welcome aboard.

The only team that may claim Paul would be the Padres. They are weak when it comes to catching.

I like having a veteran catcher with playoff experience on the team.  Josh Paul is as overrated as Willie Harris.  Neither will ever amount to much in the majors.

I'm with you on the idea of a veteran catcher. Considering Olivo has no experience with any of these players and the fact that Paul isn't too hot at calling a game, there was a definate need to bring in someone familiar with this staff and good at calling a game. Alomar was the perfect choice. He was cheap and the staff raves about his abilities to call a game. He is also thought to be a future coach and is very willing to teach Olivo.

The only team that may claim Paul would be the Padres. They are weak when it comes to catching.

maybe we could trade josh to san deigo and get alex fernandez back :headbang

I like having a veteran catcher with playoff experience on the team.  Josh Paul is as overrated as Willie Harris.  Neither will ever amount to much in the majors.

maybe we could trade josh to san deigo and get alex fernandez back :headbang

I'm all for that. I liked Fernandez a whole lot. I remember when I wrote my report about him, I was really excited about his chances in a year or two. I still want to know why we Mario Valenzula didn't play last year. It was supposedly an injury, but I could never find anything saying what.

That kid can flat hit. I think of him as a left handed hitting Magglio Ordonez.

Fernandez was a great tools player. I like Jimenez a ton, but man it would be sweet getting him back for someone as sorry as Paul.

Thanks for the welcome.

Don't forget too that Josh Paul couldn't throw out Paul Prudhomme on a steal attempt.

I haven't ever seen anything from Harris that would lead me to believe he's anything but a utility player. Maybe another Mark McLemore at best. I guess you could do worse though.

why get alex back?

for an old timers game?

cwsox..not that alex fernandez..the 21 year old CF we gave away for jimenez...he hit 299 at AAA last year

chisoxfan..mario shattered his shoulder crashing into a wall..had to have surgery ..im not sure if its his throwing shoulder or not...i hope it wasnt because he had an arm that was 2nd only to borchard as far as chisox outfielders

thanks for clearing that up - I was stunned beyond belief when I read that post - now I see you wise beyond words touting a talented young player -  :D

are you setting me up :o ....lol

i still dont like that jimenez trade...i think this fernendez will be the real deal...but time will tell...

Has old number #32 hung it up?  Last I recall he was with the Marlins. 

Could anyone have predicted how quickly Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere turned into wash-outs?  What kind of shape would the Sox be in inow f JR had agreed to long-term deals for those 3?

That's weird...we had a great rotation in 1993....and 3 went on to bigger and better things, except for Bere, who blew chunks after that, and then 'rejuvenated' his career with the sCrUBS, and is now in Cleveland....Black Jack went to New York, then Cleveland and then Anaheim, didn't he? He's since retried and is now in a rock band....not a bad life though. Fernandez won a World Series with the Marlins in 1997 but blew out his arm that year and hasn't put up very good numbers since then(if he's put up numbers at all)...and Alvarez was decent for a while with the Sox, until he got traded to San Fran in the White Flag deal...he then went to TB where he was decent until he f***ed up his arm, and now he's with the Dodgers.

All of them have had injuries that have ruined their careers....and you wonder why JR is so cautious about signing pitchers to long term deals....it kind of makes sense. However, I don't agree with it....those are the risks you take in baseball as an owner...if you don't, you won't win anything.

why get alex back?

for an old timers game?

cwsox..not that alex fernandez..the 21 year old CF we gave away for jimenez...he hit 299 at AAA last year

chisoxfan..mario shattered his shoulder crashing into a wall..had to have surgery ..im not sure if its his throwing shoulder or not...i hope it wasnt because he had an arm that was 2nd only to borchard as far as chisox outfielders

Thanks for that info Baggs. Fernandez and Valenzula both had real good arms.

Cw, let me find that report I wrote on Fernandez a while back.

Dauabch signing gives us depth and options. Championship teams always have those.

1. He is playoff and pennant tested and has been very clutch as any Red Sox fan will tell you. It's important not only because he will be oinch hitting, but also because outside of Valentin we don;thave anyone like that. I don't know how Rowand, Borchard, Olivo and Crede will respond under immense pressure; I seem to recall that outside of Ray anf JV, everybody else shut down during 2000 playoffs. Definately a welcome addition.

2. In his first year in the bigs, Daubach posted 922 OPS. After his sophomore slump and subsequent benching, he still showed he could produce (again clutch numbers have to taken in consideration). Just look at his overall RBI/ab ratio and prorate it over 600+ at bats and you will get 4 consecutive seasons at or near 100 RBIs, which is more impressive considering he accomplished it out of 6th and 7th spot. If Lee/Pauly/Hurt struggle or get injured he will gladly fill in and Sox will probably not even miss a beat. After 2003, Maggs becomes a 14 Mill player and PK/Hurt/Lee might get as high as 8+ Millin in arbitration. If Colon is resigned, we definately lose at least one of them...that's where Daubach might be useful until Borchard is ready or even after that. He might just be our LF/1B/DH and 6th spot hitter for years to come. Who knows.

3. Fenway vs. Cell: Since he is a lefty bat with pop, that 20-30+ feet diffrerence in most of RF and RCF may just alow him to improve on his numbers.

I think that outside of Olivo (5 tool catcher who is improving rapidy), Jimenez and Felix Diaz (his health worries me a bit), Daubach pick up might be the best thing KW has done as GM. He certainly would add to Spring Training competition big time if anything else. Light the fire under a lot of people's asses.

Off-topic: Aaron Rowand is listed as 6-1 on ESPN. Does anyone know if it's a mistake? I think he is more like 5'10'