Observations

Gene Honda Civic

• Uribe earned a spot in the line-up the last two days. He should start in nearly every game with a lefty starter. This gives us a guy who's proven he can hit the lefties(with some pop), and a ton of flexibility in late-inning situations like we had today with Willie either pinch-hitting or pinch-running
  • The book is out already on how to get Aaron Rowand out. Pitch him down and away and he chases. Greg Walker needs to work with ARow in the cages to get him to cover that part of the plate, or have a better eye for that part of the plate. Otherwise, he'll lose his job to Timo. (He may have already vs. Righties)
  • The Royals played horrendous defensively today. If we weren't able to capitalize on thier mistakes, this could have been a disasterous game. Thankfully, we did,(something we rarely used to do) and this win could give us tons of momentum for the rest of the season
  • Jose Valentin has looked very comfortable the last two days vs. the lefties -- a big improvement from the first two games(0-6, 6K's) -- Now if we can just get him to throw to first with an overhand motion. He's starting to get a case of the knoblach's(sp?)
  • The AB by Carlos in the bottom of the ninth is really what won the game for the sox. He was down 0-2, and fought back to draw the walk and load the bases. That's an AB where in the past Carlos would have gone down swinging... WTG El Caballo :headbang
  • Ozzie needs to watch the pitch count on his starters
    • JG pitched a career high 119 pithces in NY. Then 115 today. Cooper needs to protect JG from Ozzie having too much faith in him -- JG should have been on a HARD pitch count today... No more than 100 pitches-- I don't care if he had a no-hitter. We need this kid in October -- I doubt he was properly stretched out ot reach the 120 mark a week ago, and to back him up with a 115 pitch performance, that just shows me that somebody's not looking out for the pitcher.
    • Ozz caught a little bit a flac for maybe having a little bit of a quick hook on buerhle in the Opener, since then, the top three starters have averaged over 112P/start -- We saw first hand what happened to Dusty's staff last year on the north side, compared to in Florida where the PC's were monitored very closely on thier young pitching.

Forgot to note this one...

Olivo has looked like a Major league hitter -- Last year he left his batting eye in AA -- He has shown some good patience at the plate. He's covering more of the plate, while simultaneously laying off pitches he would have chased last year... Even today he drove that breaking ball into the gap the other way -- You rarely saw the words breaking ball, hit, and Olivo in the same sentence last season.

WTG MO!!

Yeah, I love that Ozzie is showing the SP's that he trusts and has faith in their ability, but I don't want to see any kind of unnecessary injury because of the higher PC's.

Just to further illustrate that there needs to be some more thought put into the PC's....

In Puerto Rico today, Dontelle Willis, who's yet to give up a run, was pulled after the 5th inning, after throwing only 93 pitches. He threw 113 in his first start....

-----------------------------

He went 3 for 3 with a homer from the plate too :ph34r:

Timo won't be startin for us, if Rowand's strugglin Reed will get called up. Reed's already hittin ova .300 in Charlotte.

I wouldn't be surprised that come mid-May, Reed is patrolling center for the Pale Hose...

[*]The AB by Carlos in the bottom of the ninth is really what won the game for the sox.  He was down 0-2, and fought back to draw the walk and load the bases.  That's an AB where in the past Carlos would have gone down swinging... WTG El Caballo :headbang

That is why I keep my game scores as I do, as I did today for the innings I was here:

CLee

0-1

0-2

0-2 foul just got a piece of

1-2

1-2 foul

2-2

3-2 in the dirt

4-2

W

bases loaded no outs

that allows me at least to see what you are praising CLee for - I agree that he saved the at bat from down 0-2 to get the walk

I think this is Rowand's chance....he's got CF all to himself.....hopefully he just needs to settle in.

Yeah this could make or break ARow. He's finally got CF all to himself, and needs to start producin. Unfortunately if he doesn't he's got Reed and Borchard breathing down his neck at Charlotte.

Yeah this could make or break ARow. He's finally got CF all to himself, and needs to start producin. Unfortunately if he doesn't he's got Reed and Borchard breathing down his neck at Charlotte.

I don't think he'll have to worry about those two if he can continue playing like he has...He has so much range out there it isn't funny...And it looks like he's learning to slow down when he reaches the warning track so he doesn't slam himself into the wall!!! This is going to be a great year for him.

• Ozzie needs to watch the pitch count on his starters
    • JG pitched a career high 119 pithces in NY. Then 115 today.  Cooper needs to protect JG from Ozzie having too much faith in him -- JG should have been on a HARD pitch count today... No more than 100 pitches-- I don't care if he had a no-hitter.  We need this kid in October -- I doubt he was properly stretched out ot reach the 120 mark a week ago, and to back him up with a 115 pitch performance, that just shows me that somebody's not looking out for the pitcher.

• Ozz caught a little bit a flac for maybe having a little bit of a quick hook on buerhle in the Opener, since then, the top three starters have averaged over 112P/start -- We saw first hand what happened to Dusty's staff last year on the north side, compared to in Florida where the PC's were monitored very closely on thier young pitching.

Buehrle threw 110 pitches today, so he continues down the same road that Mark Prior was on last year.

Aaron Rowand has a nice quick swing, but like with most other Sox hitters (from Uribe to Valentin to Crede to Olivo to Konerko), it's a matter of pitch selection.

He keeps chasing that slider a foot outside and heater up on the hands, and he is a marginal major leaguer.

If he stops turning on every pitch and manages the SZ better, sky is the limit.

There probably won't be an in-between.

The last three years... Mark has averaged

103 P/G

103 P/G

100 P/G

I'm not worried about marks ability to handle the load...

Garland is a major concern though...

2001 - 89P/G

2002 - 93.5 P/G

2003 - 94.7 P/G

If Jonny boy were to make the Jump to 110 pitches per outing I have no doubt he'll spend some time on the DL.