What is Maggs worth to the SOX?

JUGGERNAUT

With an annual budget of 60MIL, what should the SOX do?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. With an annual budget of 60MIL, what should the SOX do?

• Offer Maggs a 48MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 52MIL/5 yr
    • Offer Maggs a 56MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 60MIL/5 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 64MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 68MIL/5 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 70MIL/4 yr contract
    • Offer Maggs a 75MIL/5 yr contract.
    • Forget Maggs. Go after Beltran.
    • Forget Maggs. Spend it on Garland.

Maggs is not a star;  Bonds is a star, A-Rod is a star, Helton is a star, Griffey used to be a star, Mark Prior is a star, Pedro is a star, Sosa is a star, Manny is a star, Vlad is a star.    Etc.

And as much as I like Beltran, I wouldn't pay 75/5 for him either. He'll be 27, so he has already began his prime; as he gains more power, his speed and defense will suffer, they always do. Maggs used to be able to swipe 25-30 bags and throw very well -- now he is just average.    Beltran will be better than Maggs in those departments, but if you think he is a 40/40 guy, you're naive.

It interesting to see how many people here talk the "give him what he wants" talk, but out of 18 who voted only 1 sided with Magglio.

I hope your kidding about Sosa being a star, and Maggs not being a star. Maggs is a much, much better overall player then sosa. How can you even say that Maggs isn't a star, have you watched any white sox games over the last several years? Maggs is an absolute stud.

I voted 60/5.

There is one poll option missing which is basically the lowest he'll expect: 70/5.

The thing about Maggs is when you consider the SOX budget of 60 MIL, how much of his presence equates to victories? This is one of the reason I'm doing a game by game & season long evaluation. When we are tight on $$$ it's imperative we stretch performance for every dollar.

I like Maggs but I believe is asking price is WAY TOO MUCH for the SOX to pay.

Right now he's in the top 5 in salary of position players in the AL. Even if you add pitchers he's in the top 10 overall.

Yet his production is not top 10 caliber. Right now Beltran is kicking his ARSE in RPG.

It's early yet, but Maggs appears to be slipping back to his 7.50 avg. Beltran is way above avg.

#03 12.64 Carlos Beltran KCR

#15 09.14 Magglio Ordonez CHW

2003 RPG:

#06 7.78 Thomas CHW

#09 7.46 Beltran KCR

#11 7.34 Magglio CHW

Now why is Thomas above both of these guys?

Thomas: 087R, 146H, 42HR, 105RBI, 100W, 0 SB, 546 AB, 258 OB, 400 OUTS

Beltran: 102R, 160H, 26HR, 100RBI, 072W, 41SB, 521 AB, 234 OB, 365 OUTS

Magglio: 095R, 192H, 29HR, 099RBI, 057W, 09SB, 606 AB, 256 OB, 419 OUTS

If the SOX are willing to spend 70/5 on a player how can you argue for Maggs over

Beltran?

In this case KW should wait. Offer Maggs 60/5 with incentives worth 10/5.

Total value: 70/5. ANA has overpaid for Anderson. CHW should not make the same mistake with Maggs.

The franchise player for the CHW right now is Mark Buehrle.

He has Cy Young potential like that of Maddux because he is not a power pitcher.

Based on the way this year is going, the next franchise player is likely to be

Miguel Olivo. A catcher with that much defensive & offensive promise is a diamond

in the rough. Beane will curse the day he made the trade when Olivo helps the SOX

win a WS.

If the SOX are willing to spend 70/5 on a player how can you argue for Maggs over Beltran?

How can you argue for EITHER for them? You DO realize that NO hitter in baseball is worth 25+ % of the payroll outside of Bonds? Baseball is not basketball, and Magglio is not MJ.

In this case KW should wait. Offer Maggs 60/5 with incentives worth 10/5.

Total value: 70/5. ANA has overpaid for Anderson.

Anaheim has a near 110 Mill payroll and with their new image, could draw 3 Mill in their sleep. Furthermore, the way Anderson has hit in the last 2 years (best clutch hitter in baseball, postseason success, All-Star MVP, etc) and given his skills in LF, he is not overpaid.

The franchise player for the CHW right now is Mark Buehrle.

He has Cy Young potential like that of Maddux because he is not a power pitcher

In what warped universe is Burhle anywhere close to being what Maddux was at 25? Hitters aren't fooled by Mark like they were in 2001. He is a good pitcher, but not a Cy Young. The sooner Sox realize it, the sooner they will acquire a true ace.

.Beane will curse the day he made the trade when Olivo helps the SOX

Oh please -- Oakland made the deal in 2002 and has won a tough division twice already, and might just do it this year again. I know Miguel is off to a fast start, but Billy Beane is not going to lose any sleep over it even if Miguel becomes Pudge 2 years from now.

I hope your kidding about Sosa being a star

I hope your kidding about asking Brando is he is kidding about Sosa being a star.

I dislike him very much(being a hugeass hotdog, his hop, the stutter step, the kiss-blowing...it is disgusting), but to say he isn't a star is f***ing stupid, period. That's like saying Jose Paniagua is a good pitcher.

If you want me to back my point, I will. I think I've said enough though.

Mark Prior is a star

Give me a couple more productive/injury-free years outta him, then we'll call him a star. The other names I agree with since they've done it for so many years. Prior just finished his first full season last year and your calling him a star..? He will be but he is by no means a star...... yet.

The concept of "forget Maggs, go for Beltran" is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

The reason we could (should) sign Maggs is because he's one of our own; he's still under contract to us.

A free agent is NEVER going to pick the Sox over Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Mariners, etc. There they would get more money, have a chance to contend for championships every year, and not have to play for an asshole owner(ship) who couldn't care less about winning!

The front office of the Sox doesn't have the luxury of being fans and saying "We'll pay him whatever it takes to keep him." They have to look at things from a hardcore dollars perspective and also have to consider the long term implications of any long term deal. In fact, that's why they put the dimished skills clause in Frank's contract.