Mariotti column today

aboz56

Silly me. I've been the one suggesting, with a certain blind faith, that Frank Thomas still has a chance to salvage his crybaby image and carve a happy ending in baseball.

Those words were barely out of my mouth, of course, when he reminded us that a Pouting Thomas is an annoying, exasperating inevitability of Chicago sports life.

Here are the White Sox, off to a winning start and enjoying the fun chemistry and contagious vibes of manager Ozzie Guillen, the Blizzard of Oz. And there is Thomas, the master of perfect timing, playing his usual role of clubhouse party-pooper and complaining publicly about -- guess what? -- his contract. Just two offseasons after entering free agency, finding no legitimate suitors, crawling back to the Sox and agreeing to a pay cut that he approved with his very own signature, the Big Blurt is asking chairman Jerry Reinsdorf to show him proper ''respect'' by ripping up the existing deal at season's end and handing him a four-year contract.

Thomas will be 36 years old next month. I swear he's actually 6.

Apparently, the man's foot-in-mouth disease is incurable. What's troubling about Thomas' latest money-related hissy fit is that it rages in the season's opening month, unlike his various spring-training spats, and seems a direct response to contract talks involving Magglio Ordonez. If jealousy never has become Thomas, it's no coincidence that his comments to the Daily Southtown come amid media and fan fawning over Ordonez, who, at 30, is decidedly younger than Thomas and well worth the five-year, $70 million deal he seeks. Squarely in his prime, Ordonez is a must-sign and a much higher priority than Thomas, who is inked through 2006 for a series of annual mutual options -- including a hefty $8 million next year. A designated hitter who has played first base only sporadically in recent seasons, he has no right to be in a higher strata than the quintessential DH, Edgar Martinez, who never made more than $7 million in any of his high-potency seasons with the Seattle Mariners.

But common sense never has been part of the Thomas arsenal. Rather than pipe down, be happy and concentrate on the championship ring he claims to covet, he revisits the selfish roots that Guillen used to ridicule when they were teammates. ''I've earned my way here, they're not giving me nothing,'' Thomas said of the Sox, who have received phone calls from Thomas' agent, Arn Tellem. ''After the year I had last year, it's a little disappointing come the 1st and 15th this year, but I'm going to keep on ticking. It's not a challenge to me, because I'm used to proving myself.''

Understandably, general manager Ken Williams is ticked off about the distraction. ''Frank has got a contract. It has grown old, yes,'' he said.

As for Guillen, I won't forget the day years ago when he told a numbers-obsessed Thomas, ''Put down that stat sheet.'' Now, Ozzie is urging him to set aside his ego for the overall good. ''If there's some aggravation for Frank, that's his problem,'' Guillen said. ''I just don't want it going around with the players ... I don't want that negative stuff to come to the clubhouse.''

He'll never learn, obviously. Time after time, Thomas has voiced his Sox-related gripes to the media, which is good for columnists and talk-show hosts but not for the ballclub's internal peace and stability. I never thought it could get sillier than those two years in Arizona, when he refused to perform a shuttle drill and engaged in an argument with mild-mannered Jerry Manuel, then embarrassed himself nationally by brooding about his diminished-skills clause -- again, he signed the deal -- and storming out of camp while Williams chased after him in the parking lot. But this one is potentially the biggest flareup yet, and not just among blue-collar fans who don't want to hear a multi-millionaire athlete bring up the ''1st and 15th''of the month.

It creates an early dilemma for Guillen, who has worried from the first day he took the job about Thomas' moods and has all but begged him to emphasize the team first. Frank was surprisingly fine in spring training, refusing to respond to Guillen's initial warnings as many had predicted. But when Ordonez shot out to his sizzling offensive start, which had led to intense civic lobbying (including in this space) for a contract extension, Thomas was inclined to offer his two cents. He looks bad compared to Ordonez, who has done little contract posturing and declined comment about the situation after his game-winning home run Thursday. Thomas' remarks also cause some uncomfortable feelings for three key players -- Paul Konerko, Jose Valentin and pitcher Esteban Loaiza -- who are due to become free agents after the season.

Sure, it's a bit strange that Thomas, at $6 million, ranks only fifth on the Sox' player payroll. He's making less than struggling reliever Billy Koch, whose days as a closer are teetering. But Thomas has only himself to blame for being a lousy businessman. While I understand Reinsdorf's oddball clauses don't exactly engender good faith among employees, Thomas wasn't held at gunpoint when he agreed to the deal. He should have bargained harder or signed elsewhere. Problem was, when his free-agency window finally opened wide after the 2002 season, he was viewed as an inconsistent problem child by teams who didn't want to overpay. Forced to sign the fallback deal with the Sox, he should have been humbled and moved on without further episodes.

But now we realize, once and for all, that Thomas can't avoid episodes. I'd like to believe he could pull off an amazing personal transformation in his final seasons, a significant image upgrade as he bids for Cooperstown. As he pointed out last month, he never has been suspected of steroids use, which could be an advantage for his Hall of Fame candidacy, providing he reaches the 500-homer club and excels in October once or twice. Honestly, I thought he was over the immaturity hump when he went to Guillen in Tucson and said he should hit cleanup, while endorsing Ordonez's move to the prestigious No. 3 hole that Thomas always protected as his turf. Could we finally forget his dumb comments, self-centered whims and batting inconsistencies and admire him as a man who got things right in the end?

Silly me.

I must say I don't disagree with the guy at all. Franklin wasn't forced to sign a deal here and he had the chance to go elsewhere. Honor your contract and play. Don't complain about it when the team is off to a hot start and things are going well....Like him or hate him (which most of us do), Mariotti delivers another column right on the money about the Sox.

Please take the blinders off, folks, on this one because he's right on the money.

If you all bash Moroniotti on this column after seeing what many of you typed in the original thread I'll be disappointed. He still might be a moron but he's right on this one.

Maggs hits a walk off home run from the 3 spot and Frank's contract is wrong. Both on the same day. Coincidence?

If Frank had the PR skills of MJ, the world would be at his feet. He is the hardest working power hitter in baseball. He is doing it, at his age, by staying in amazing shape.

But, somebody please duct tape his mouth. He's not even Charles Barkley funny with this s***.

Frank could have signed a one or two year deal and then been free to renegotiate. You want the extra years, live with the extra years.

This is Maggs team. Maybe we need a group of players to have an intervention and tell Frank to just shut up, get to the playoffs, maybe get one hit this time (Mr. 0 for the 2000 playoffs), and finish a HoF career.

I think the main reason we dislike Jay is he is usually pretty damn accurate regarding the Sox. Sometimes that isn't pretty. I also appreciate when Jay is positive about someone or something, he really beieves it.

Please take the blinders off, folks, on this one because he's right on the money.

If you all bash Moroniotti on this column after seeing what many of you typed in the original thread I'll be disappointed.  He still might be a moron but he's right on this one.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Exactly. With a million things he could have wrote about this team..IE Harris's early success, Uribe's early success, Maggs contract statement with his bat, Scho showing he is a real starter, Ozzies early affect on this team etc. He goes and finds the first big negative occurance he can, and dedicates his whole Sunday column to it. He might be right, but he has zero credibility. Espesially to talk about someone's whiney personality, as this guys whole career has been made from b****ing about Professional Athletes.

:fyou Kotex Boy.

Exactly.  With a million things he could have wrote about this team..IE Harris's early success, Uribe's early success, Maggs contract statement with his bat, Scho showing he is a real starter, Ozzies early affect on this team etc.  He goes and finds the first big negative occurance he can, and dedicates his whole Sunday column to it.  He might be right, but he has zero credibility.  Espesially to talk about someone's whiney personality, as this guys whole career has been made from b****ing about Professional Athletes.

:fyou Kotex Boy.

Look at these boards and count up the replies and you'll see what is the hot button among Sox fans right now. Hint: It isn't our middle infielders.

Thomas opens his yap again has 156 replies and 1,445 views. Koch and Danny have the next two active topics. What writer wouldn't write about what is on Sox fans minds?

Mariotti would be an idiot if he didn't write about Frank this Sunday. We have the hottest team and Franky isn't contributing his usual numbers on the field and now he's creating a distraction in the locker room.

Look at these boards and count up the replies and you'll see what is the hot button among Sox fans right now. Hint: It isn't our middle infielders.

Thomas opens his yap again has 156 replies and 1,445 views. Koch and Danny have the next two active topics. What writer wouldn't write about what is on Sox fans minds?

Mariotti would be an idiot if he didn't write about Frank this Sunday. We have the hottest team and Franky isn't contributing his usual numbers on the field and now he's creating a distraction in the locker room.

Honest question. Do you think ANYONE in the Sox organization, read this article and ever gave it a second thought? No way. This is garbage, and all of his teammates know it. At worst they made fun of Frank for this. At best they never thought about it again .

Honest question.  Do you think ANYONE in the Sox organization, read this article and ever gave it a second thought?  No way.  This is garbage, and all of his teammates know it.  At worst they made fun of Frank for this.  At best they never thought about it again .

Since when is anything Kotex Boy wrote worth a second thought?

Bulls***! Bulls***! Bulls***! That drivel that Mariotti wrote is pure unadulterated bulls***. Frank was responding, honestly, to a reporters question. Mariotti twisted the words to suit his own purpose. Then he had the audacity to say that Maggs is not nogiating in the press, yet I've seen several quotes from him about his contract situation. The only comment from Kenny about the negotiations is that he doesn't negotiate in the press. This, in fact, is one of the most twisted one-sided irresponsible columns Mariotti has ever written.

I am seriously just so tired of kotex boy being so negative. There are no positives for the Sox. None at all. When you critic something, you look at both sides, and he never looks at the positives. I wish he would change. I don't care if he bashes the Sox all the time, just once in a while write something positive.

Bulls***! Bulls***! Bulls***!  That drivel that Mariotti wrote is pure unadulterated bulls***.  Frank was responding, honestly, to a reporters question.  Mariotti twisted the words to suit his own purpose.  Then he had the audacity to say that Maggs is not nogiating in the press, yet I've seen several quotes from him about his contract situation.  The only comment from Kenny about the negotiations is that he doesn't negotiate in the press.  This, in fact, is one of the most twisted one-sided irresponsible columns Mariotti has ever written.

:headbang :headbang :headbang :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The Cubs have had players and coaches ejected, players and coaches throwing laughable tantrums, and players, coaches, and fans all throwing absurd amounts of garbage all over Wrigley Field for the past two days, and somehow Mariotti "forgets" to write about that, lol. Coinicence?

The Cubs have had players and coaches ejected, players and coaches throwing laughable tantrums, and players, coaches, and fans all throwing absurd amounts of garbage all over Wrigley Field for the past two days, and somehow Mariotti "forgets" to write about that, lol.  Coincidence?

I think not. I can't stand how it's just shrugged or laughed off by the national media when this happens to the Cubs. I really hate the double standard in the media when it comes to the Chicago baseball teams.

The Cubs have had players and coaches ejected, players and coaches throwing laughable tantrums, and players, coaches, and fans all throwing absurd amounts of garbage all over Wrigley Field for the past two days, and somehow Mariotti "forgets" to write about that, lol.  Coinicence?

I'm not talking about the TIMING of the article, just it's content. I agree fully about the timing sucking, however, I think there's validity for an asshole writer to be an asshole - it sells more papers.

My point is, topics like that sells and he's right about this one... which would more people talk about, Willie Harris and Uribe playing well, or Thoma$ b****ing about his contract? Now, what would you write about if it put more money in your own pocket?

Thought so.

I'm not talking about the TIMING of the article, just it's content.  I agree fully about the timing sucking, however, I think there's validity for an asshole writer to be an asshole - it sells more papers. 

My point is, topics like that sells and he's right about this one... which would more people talk about, Willie Harris and Uribe playing well, or Thoma$ b****ing about his contract?  Now, what would you write about if it put more money in your own pocket?

Thought so.

I guarentee you that any article about the Cubs selfdistructing already, would sell more papers than Thomas b****ing about money.

Honest question.  Do you think ANYONE in the Sox organization, read this article and ever gave it a second thought?  No way.  This is garbage, and all of his teammates know it.  At worst they made fun of Frank for this.  At best they never thought about it again .

Almost every player read it. I've known too many athletes to think they don't reaad the papers to see what is being written. It would take super human strength not to.

If your company was in the news, would you read it?

Almost every player read it. I've known too many athletes to think they don't reaad the papers to see what is being written. It would take super human strength not to.

If your company was in the news, would you read it?

You missed the important part of the question.

Do they care?

The Cubs have had players and coaches ejected, players and coaches throwing laughable tantrums, and players, coaches, and fans all throwing absurd amounts of garbage all over Wrigley Field for the past two days, and somehow Mariotti "forgets" to write about that, lol.  Coinicence?

So he writes about the Cuns we b**** he's not writing about the 1st place Sox. He writes about the Sox and we b**** he isn;t writing about the Cubs.

Frank is one of the biggest super stars in Chicago, he's going to get press.

laytex boy was searching his hardest to find something negative about our sox this year instead of writing about how his cubs arent meeting everyones expectations

Gee he must think the Sox are a bigger deal right now. What an idiot. Doesn't he know the Cubs are #1 in this town. Always wrtite about the Cubs whenever possible.

I'll bet if he were in NY he would write about the Mets and ignore the Yankees.

He's written two Cub and two Sox articles so far this month. One article was how the Sox need to pony up the money and sign Maggs the other was about Thomas whining. Both hot topics on this board, and both with plenty of support.

On the Cub side it was a part time Prior may be enough and how Maddux looks old and tired.

Get a grip. He's writing about what Sox fans have been talking about. Or do you want him to tell us what we should be talking about?

I guarentee you that any article about the Cubs selfdistructing already, would sell more papers than Thomas b****ing about money.

Good, let em write it. Reading the Flubune make excuses for a Flubby implosion is way more funny than the comics!

Moronatti is going to have a harder and harder time explaining away Maddux getting rocked every time up.