Sad, sad, sad

Galarraga

Veteran Galarraga fights cancer again

By Daily News Wire Services

Many wondered why Andres Galarraga wasn't back in baseball after a solid 2003 season with the San Francisco Giants, one in which he batted .301 with 12 home runs and 42 RBI in 272 at-bats.

Turns out that Galarraga, 42, has been battling cancer since November, apparently the same non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that kept him out of baseball the entire 1999 season while with the Atlanta Braves.

Giants management has kept the illness a secret at the Galarraga family's request, but Edgardo Alfonzo gave an encouraging report, revealing that his friend is doing well and plans a return to baseball.

"The last time I talked with him, he told me he was clean," Alfonzo told the Sacramento Bee on Sunday. "It came back after the season and he's been getting treatment. He told me he hopes to come back after the All-Star break, preferably with a team closer to home."

Galarraga, a resident of West Palm Beach, Fla., and a national hero in Venezuela, has expressed a desire to reach the 400 home run plateau. He has 398 after a season in which he topped Giants pinch hitters with a .300 average, 12 hits and two homers.

After missing the 1999 season, Galarraga batted .302 with 28 homers and 100 RBI for the Braves in 2000, winning Comeback Player of the Year honors. He has hit 38 homers the past three seasons in a part-time role.

It's so hard to fight Cancer once let alone twice. All the best to him and his family, let's hope he pulls thru.  :)

Didn't Darren Jackson fight cancer twice?

In any sense, you are so right about that. My aunt's friend has cancer (2nd or 3rd bout). He was given 6 weeks to live about 3 months ago.

Didn't Darren Jackson fight cancer twice?

In any sense, you are so right about that.  My aunt's friend has cancer (2nd or 3rd bout).  He was given 6 weeks to live about 3 months ago.

Let's just hope one day in the future they can possibly find a cure for it or at least a better treatment. Sorry about ur aunt's friend, at least they seem to be fightin hard. :)

Let's just hope one day in the future they can possibly find a cure for it or at least a better treatment. Sorry about ur aunt's friend, at least they seem to be fightin hard.  :)

He is. I've known him since I was a kid. It wass tough seeing him in so much pain.