BOO THE UMP!!!

BridgeportHeather

Ok, the ump behind home plate has had a WAAAAAAAY raunchy strike zone tonight...He's missed SEVERAL 3rd strikes on the Yankees and called balls strikes for our Sox...I hope the tape of THIS game goes to Bud Selig and he deals with it appropriately...

Kill the ump and make him Pappy's "jag bag of the week."

We have to, have to, have to, have to, have to, have to avoid big innings.

It is the thing that killed us in 2002, and has been the thing that has killed us thus far.

We could realistically be a 10-3 team right now. I'll take 8-5 though.

BTW, I still stand very strongly to this team being one of the best, if not the best in the league, even if we only play 8 innings. We won't play 8 all year, because at some point they'll remember that games are 9 innings, and I personally think this pen will get its s*** together very soon. All we need is really one durable arm in that pen. We get one durable arm in that pen, and he could be like glue, and that pen could just be strong as hell.

Apparently, that guy is not Shingo and that guy is not Neal Cotts(we still love you over here though Neal). I don't know who it is, but I think we are one strong reliever away from having a mediocre pen to having a great pen, and, with this team and with almost every other team in the majors, a great pen = a s***load of success.

We have to, have to, have to, have to, have to, have to avoid big innings. 

It is the thing that killed us in 2002, and has been the thing that has killed us thus far.

We could realistically be a 10-3 team right now.  I'll take 8-5 though.

BTW, I still stand very strongly to this team being one of the best, if not the best in the league, even if we only play 8 innings.  We won't play 8 all year, because at some point they'll remember that games are 9 innings, and I personally think this pen will get its s*** together very soon.  All we need is really one durable arm in that pen.  We get one durable arm in that pen, and he could be like glue, and that pen could just be strong as hell. 

Apparently, that guy is not Shingo and that guy is not Neal Cotts(we still love you over here though Neal).  I don't know who it is, but I think we are one strong reliever away from having a mediocre pen to having a great pen, and, with this team and with almost every other team in the majors, a great pen = a s***load of success.

Hence why we traded for Scott Sullivan. Say what u will bout he performances when he pitched for us, but for 3 years in a row, he was the Reds leader in appearances and was HUGE out of da pen for em.

Hence why we traded for Scott Sullivan. Say what u will bout he performances when he pitched for us, but for 3 years in a row, he was the Reds leader in appearances and was HUGE out of da pen for em.

EXACTLY.

He did just enough, and if you recall, once we got him the pen pretty much gelled.

SoxForever...that is exactly the type of guy I am talking about. Ugie would be perfect.

Maybe Detroit will take Koch for us.

But seriously, maybe Detroit will take Koch for us.

EXACTLY.

He did just enough, and if you recall, once we got him the pen pretty much gelled.

SoxForever...that is exactly the type of guy I am talking about.  Ugie would be perfect. 

Maybe Detroit will take Koch for us.

But seriously, maybe Detroit will take Koch for us.

God I would love if we could dump Billy for Ugie. Man, why did you have to put that thought in my head :bang

How much did Sully pitch?  Wasn't it like 14 innings or something?  I think he's getting just a tad too much credit for solidifying the pen last year.

Pretty unfair judgement though considering he was only with us for 2 months. I would hav liked to see him for a full season to see what he could hav done, but we could hav either kept Sully or Shoe.

I don't think there is anything "unfair" about saying a guy that pitched 14.1 innings is receiving too much credit for solidifying the bullpen.

I didn't imply that he solidified the bullpen, witesoxfan did that, I just said Sully was a guy who u could count goin on back to back days. With Colon leavin, our bullpen is goin to pitch more innings this year, and I just thought that Sully could hav been an important part of it.

I didn't imply that he solidified the bullpen, witesoxfan did that, I just said Sully was a guy who u could count goin on back to back days. With Colon leavin, our bullpen is goin to pitch more innings this year, and I just thought that Sully could hav been an important part of it.

I agree. He could have been. The way you quoted me and then said "Pretty unfair judgement... " kinda led me to believe that you were singling me out.

I agree.  He could have been.  The way you quoted me and then said "Pretty  unfair judgement... " kinda led me to believe that you were singling me out.

Nah I wouldn't do that. I really enjoy readin ur views and posts YASNY. :)

I sat in the second to the last row in the upper deck right behind the right-handed batter's box.  How close were Cotts' pitches?

Neil was a bit wild, but the one call the home plate umpire didn't make is the one that led to a run.

With the bases loaded and a 3-1 count Cotts was severely squeezed on a pitch. Sandy set up on what appeared to be the middle of the plate and Cotts hit the spot. Hawk sounded agitated (and rightfully so) after the replay showed a pitch that was obviously a strike. He was lucky to escape the inning with any less damage; Ruben Sierra swung at a bad pitch that resulted in DP.

Dude, I was just wondering.  I couldn't see s*** with all of the drizzle, and I thought Neal got screwed on a 3-1 count.

That was the onlt pitch Cotts got screwed on. Everything else wasn't even close. 13 pitches - 3 strikes, and one of those was the ball 3 that Sierra swung at, mentioned earlier.

I edited the topic title.

I realise that "Kill the Ump" is an old phrase in baseball and my opinion, not a very good phrase. Death is not an appropriate wish in response to a call in a game.

Far, far more than that the admins and mods recently made a decision that all death threats would be not allowed. We had a situation where someone wished death on a broadcaster and it was problamatic to say the least.

Before I get accused of being overly sensitive, I am not only enforcing a admin/mod decision (which I support fully)...

... but in the "kill the ump" case we as Sox fans should be especially sensitive since we have had an umpire attacked and permanently injurd on our field. There is a correlation between causal language and actions.

Any complaints, PM me.

I edited the topic title.

I realise that "Kill the Ump" is an old phrase in baseball and my opinion, not a very good phrase.  Death is not an appropriate wish in response to a call in a game.

Far, far more than that the admins and mods recently made a decision that all death threats would be not allowed.  We had a situation where someone wished death on a broadcaster and it was problamatic to say the least.

Before I get accused of being overly sensitive, I am not only enforcing a admin/mod decision (which I support fully)...

... but in the "kill the ump" case we as Sox fans should be especially sensitive since we have had an umpire attacked and permanently injurd on our field.  There is a correlation between causal language and actions. 

Any complaints, PM me.

Right decision. A little "preachy", though.