Why are you a Sox fan?

wsbaseball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in knowing how people got their start.

Well, I was originally a Cardinals fan when I was a little guy, more of an Ozzie Smith fan really, then he retired and I realized I didn't like the team that much anymore. Then through the magic of WGN and Sportschannel at the time, I was introduced to Frank Thomas and his Chicago White Sox. Frank easily replaced Oz as my favorite player and I've been Sox to the bone ever since.

PS- the hatred for the Cubs started when I was a Cards fan and has only grown.

Dad grew up on South Side of Chicago, where everyone in the family was a devouted Sox fan. In my early years (late 80s) my dad would take me out to games at old comiskey; of which I have a few memories. He brainwashed me the same way I'm going to for my children.

Never was told (directly) to dislike the Cubs, it just sort of developed as my passion for the Pale Hose stregthened.

My dad, and my older brothers were all Sox fans, and when I was a kid, many family outings were spent in Old Comiskey. My dad and I weren't real close, but at The Sox games, we were real father and son. Also, 1959, the last year they won the pennant is when I was born. Also, my sig below tells a little more!

My story:

Grew up on South side.

My Dad and gramps on Dad's side loved Sox.

Other gramps on mom's side loved the Cubs.

I'd go to Cub games with the one gramps because I loved baseball any time all the time, but went to many more Sox games with dad who had season tickets for 10 years or so.

Preferred Sox over Cubs but also didn't catch any pressure to pick one over the other.

Moved to suburbia during formative h.s. years and took advantage of dad's season

tickets by going to 20 Sox games a year with buddies.

Became rabid fan.

It stuck.

Case closed.

Living in the south suburbs, it was easier going to Sox games. Plus, dad was a Sox fan, and wanted nothing to do with the Cubs. As a kid, I watched Cubs games at times. They didn't bother me then, I just loved baseball, but the older I got, the more I noticed the Cubs fans that lived by me were just idiots, and that further cemented my Sox fandom.

A side note, my niece was over last weekend, when I was watching the Sox game, and asked who I was watching play. When I said "The Chicago White Sox", she replied, "Who are they? I thought the Cubs were Chicago's team?" I should beat my sister for letting her be raised a Cubs fan. So, I am taking her to her first White Sox game this saturday, to see what real baseball is like. If that doesn't cure her, maybe an exorcism?

Dad grew up on South Side of Chicago,  where everyone in the family was a devouted Sox fan.  In my early years (late 80s) my dad would take me out to games at old comiskey; of which I have a few memories.  He brainwashed me the same way I'm going to for my children.

Never was told (directly) to dislike the Cubs, it just sort of developed as my passion for the Pale Hose stregthened.

Hey Flash, shouldn't really call it "brainwashing!" To me, to hate The Cubs, and to be brought up to be a die-hard true Sox fan...............let's just say that your brain was given a "Cleansing!!!!" :headbang :headbang :headbang

born, raised on the NW side, knew cubs players always, my best buddy was Earl Averill 3rd when his dad played for the cubs, always knew the cubs well

always a Sox fan

my gradfather used to take me toi wriogley and I loved him but could not cheer for his team

I was a stubborn child

always a Sox fan

my mother would never say the word "Sox" - it was always "your team"

I returned the favor

in 1959 I was running around outside thinking it was true, the Sox won the pennant and indeed it was the end of the world (the air raid sirens on the firehouse were maybe 100 feet from my bedroom window)

in 1983 my mother got my a division championship souvineer cup

must have been harder than hell for her to go through the check out line with it so it is the best gift from her ever

born, raised on the NW side, knew cubs players always, my best buddy was Earl Averill 3rd when his dad played for the cubs, always knew the cubs well

always a Sox fan

my gradfather used to take me toi wriogley and I loved him but could not cheer for his team

I was a stubborn child

always a Sox fan

my mother would never say the word "Sox" - it was always "your team"

I returned the favor

in 1959 I was running around outside thinking it was true, the Sox won the pennant and indeed it was the end of the world (the air raid sirens on the firehouse were maybe 100 feet from my bedroom window)

in 1983 my mother got my a division championship souvineer cup

must have been harder than hell for her to go through the check out line with it so it is the best gift from her ever

Wow you had some connections to the Cubs and stayed away. Way to go! :headbang

cwsox.

That is so wild your Mom wouldn't refer to the Sox

by name.

You are right. For her to buy you the cup is a helluva

gift.

Best ever! Nice story.

you know what she did?

of course you don't

in 1991 I was living in kalamazoo and in a new job so couldn't get away all spring and then she got she sick and she was literally on her death bed and she looks at me and says, "your new ballpark is really nice."

I said, what?

She said, I liked it.

She made a point of going to new Comiskey before I did so she could be one up one me forever!

that was her sense of humor.

I told the story at her funeral and all my cubbie relatives got it -

it is not a sad story, I thought it was like the ultimate prank, that she made the point of one upping me on a Sox thing while she still could -

actually very creative of her and it still makes me laugh :lol:

you know what she did?

of course you don't

in 1991 I was living in kalamazoo and in a new job so couldn't get away all spring and then she got she sick and she was literally on her death bed and she looks at me and says, "your new ballpark is really nice."

I said, what?

She said, I liked it.

She made a point of going to new Comiskey before I did so she could be one up one me forever!

that was her sense of humor.

I told the story at her funeral and all my cubbie relatives got it -

it is not a sad story, I thought it was like the ultimate prank, that she made the point of one upping me on a Sox thing while she still could -

actually very creative of her and it still makes me laugh  :lol:

cw...

Your mom took you to the cleaners. That's great. :D ;) :headbang

Evil Monkey,

Cool post.

That is so neat you are taking the niece to the Sox game.

Maybe it'll work and she'll love the Sox.

I hope so! She will be spending alot of time with us this summer, so I think I will get her to more than a few games. My oldest boy goes along most of the time as well, so they can keep each other company when they drift off, as kids will often do. But I will make sure to teach her the way of Ozzie. :fthecubs

I was pretty much born and raised a Sox fan. Both my parents were Sox fans and I grew up in the south suburbs so we went to games quite a bit especially because my dad used to be able to get tickets from his work when I was younger. Some of my best memories are going to Sox games at Old Comiskey which is pretty cool seeing as how I was only 7 when the new park was built. So yeah, I was a fan by birth sort of like becoming an American citizen by birth. :D I am the biggest fan in the family though. Whenever someone has questions about the Sox in my family they come to me.

I was a little kid, didn't know anything about the sox until my dad brought home a framed picture of Frank Thomas on it. Then he took me to my 1st sox game when I was about 5 (or 7) Ever since then, I loved the sox plus, I was born and raised on the southside.