Pat Tillman, Killed in Action

Controlled Chaos

Ex-NFL player Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Ex-NFL player Tillman

killed in Afghanistan

Former Cardinal gave up

big salary to join Army Rangers

Pat Tillman turned down a $3.6 million salary offer from the Arizona Cardinals in 2002 to join the Army in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

BREAKING NEWS

NBC News and news services

Updated: 11:01 a.m. ET April 23, 2004WASHINGTON - Pat Tillman, who gave up a lucrative NFL contract with the Arizona Cardinals to join the Army Rangers, was killed in action in Afghanistan, military officials said Friday.

In the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Tillman decided to turn down a three-year, $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to enlist in the Army.

INTERACTIVE

• Elite troops

Some of the world's key special forces units

Tillman, who went through Special Forces training to become a Ranger, was first deployed to Iraq in March 2003 with the 75th Regiment Ranger Battalion.

In Afghanistan, Tillman's batallion was involved in "Operation Mountain Storm," part of the U.S. campaign against Taliban and al-Qaida groups along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, military officials said.

He was killed during action in the past 24 hours, they said.

Tillman joined the Army with his younger brother Kevin in May 2002, but Pat Tillman denied requests for media coverage of his enlistment, basic training and ultimate deployments.

According to Army officials at the time, Tillman wanted no special treatment, wanted no special attention, but wanted to be considered just one of the soldiers doing his duty for his country.

NBC's Jim Jim Miklaszewski contributed to this report.

RIP Mr. Tillman. And Godspeed. :usa

Another good story about Tillman...from when he first left the NFL

Monday, July 8

Basic training starts for former NFL player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

FORT BENNING, Ga. -- Former NFL player Pat Tillman is used to pushing his body to the limit with grueling training in the summer heat. This summer, though, he will be sweating it out as an Army recruit.

Pat Tillman played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

Tillman, the 25-year-old starting safety for the Arizona Cardinals, turned down a $3.6 million contract for $18,000 a year and an uncertain quest to become an Army Ranger.

Tillman, who has rejected all interview requests to talk about his decision, began basic training Monday at this base in southwest Georgia, joining his younger brother, who enlisted with him.

"In Pat Tillman's view of the world, football is a part of it, but there are a lot of other things that are important to him," said Lyle Setencich, Tillman's linebacker coach at Arizona State.

Money doesn't seem to be important to him at all. Last year, he turned down a $9 million, five-year offer from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams so he could stay with the perennial losing Cardinals for less money. This year, he turned down the Cardinals three-year, $3.6 million contract to join the Army.

"He said there were personal reasons he didn't want to divulge to me, and I didn't press him on it," Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis said. "I respect his decision. I think it's honorable."

Observers questioned his sanity, but that's nothing new for Tillman, who used to meditate atop a 200-foot light tower above Arizona State's stadium.

"If you don't know Pat, then you would think he's crazy," said Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator. "The planes flew so close to him that he could damn near reach out and touch them. He's just fearless."

“ You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him. This guy could go live in a foxhole for a year by himself with no food. ”

— Phil Snow, talking about Pat Tillman

Tillman's decision to attempt to join the Army's elite infantry unit didn't surprise friends.

"Pat is the type of person who needs challenges," Arizona State University associate athletic director Mark Brand told the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. "When I heard what he was doing, I knew it was perfect."

Bored before the 2000 season, he ran a marathon. After setting a franchise record with 224 tackles in 2000, he prepared for last year's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon.

"You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him," Snow said. "This guy could go live in a foxhole for a year by himself with no food."

Tillman's age may have been a factor in his decision -- the cutoff for the Rangers is 28. Several of Tillman's friends believe the Sept. 11 attacks also had an influence. Setencich attended Tillman's wedding in May and talked with him about the NFL.

"He mentioned he might get out of it," Setencich said. "I asked him if he wanted to go to law school and he kind of smiled and said, 'There are a lot of things I can do.' "

Tillman's goal to join the Rangers will be difficult. Only 35 percent of all candidates get to wear the coveted black and gold Ranger Tab. Although physical fitness is key, Army training is very different from sports.

"Mental toughness separates those that drive on," said retired Ranger Capt. Todd Bearden.

"It's being able to get up at 0-dark-30 every morning, doing what needs to be done, then getting up and doing it again. When you take away somebody's sleep and somebody's food and push them to the limit, it changes the dynamics of everything."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403113.html

RIP. Hero is damn right.

Makes Terrel Owens and Manning seem like ugrateful petty little b****es, don't it?

Say....Ted Williamns and countless others actually saw combat....Any chance Berroids, Shamy and Pirzinski enlist, the unstoppable gladiators that they are?

Say....Ted Williamns and countless others actually saw combat....Any chance Berroids, Shamy and Pirzinski enlist, the unstoppable gladiators that they are?

It might have been a rhetorical question, but I think Beroid and Shammy are passed the age restriction.

I'm not a football fan at all, and don't follow the game a bit, but his name and the pictures of him I do remember, for some reason. Seems like he was a heck of a guy, and one full of integrity. Hopefully he found what it was that he was after, and hopefully he will be a bit of a lightening rod to other people in following your heart.

I have to admit.. this is the saddest thing I have read in awhile.

The man was an awesome player and he joined the army to be with his brother.

Turned down huge $$ just to fight for his country.

I can't say that I didn't think something might not happen to him.. but I am really shocked and surprised that something did.

:headshake :( :crying :huh: :mellow: :) :D :usa

My best wishes go out to the Tillman family.

I also like to say God Bless my friend Bern Walsh. He is a Diehard sox fan. This was the second opener he missed since he started going with us 8 years ago. Bern has a BA from Winona State in MN. He had a good job with Northern Trust Bank, down here in the loop. Wore a suit to work everyday...we always busted his balls about lookin like Mr GQ banker with his little glasses and fancy ties and s***.

Anyway, after 9-11, you saw the patriot come out of Bern. At 27 years old, he decided to quit work and join the Army. This is a guy who had everything going for him and dropped it cause he wanted to serve his country. He is now the medic at the Rangers school in Ft Benning, GA and will be trying out to be a ranger over the summer. He is upset he hasn't been able to help his comrades and is eager to get into some action

He came in last year after boot camp and went to the sox game all 3 days. He was last heard from when he called my buddy from the Braves Cubs game ,where he was doing his duty by verbally abusing the flubs.

Anyway, it's a real similar story to Tillman's(without the millons of course) and just wanted to share it with you and say GOD BLESS BERN!! A TRUE PATRIOT!! I'm proud to know a guy like him. :usa

RIP. Hero is damn right.

Makes Terrel Owens and Manning seem like ugrateful petty little b****es, don't it?

I agree...wow.

RIP.

I see the other end of the enlistment spectrum. Down here many kids enlist because of a very high unemployment rate, underperforming, poorly funded schools, and feel a military education is their best ticket to a good life. The relatively long periods of peace gave a lot of these kids a false understanding of the sacrifices they may be asked to make. They thought in and out in four years, learn a trade, and see ya.

When you see the names of Rodrigues, Martines, Garza, etc. please take a moment and realize these are, in some cases, these are not citizens, they are kids whose parents, in many cases, were illegals struggling to improve their lives. Not many people realize but you do not need to be a US citizen to fight for America. It also doesn't guarantee you citizenship.

And finally, there are misguided (IMHO) people on the other side who feel the same emotions we do. In another thread, we talk about forgiveness. Perhaps we can find time to pray for everyone who is effected by war. A world at peace, not seen in centuries, would be an incredible thing.

It might have been a rhetorical question, but I think Beroid and Shammy are passed the age restriction.

But is Shammy a citizen?

Also, let's not fault somebody for NOT joining a military branch and serving his or hers country. It is an honorable thing that Pat did, but I am sure that he would be the first to say that his choice was not the correct choice for everybody. I might be covering my own butt as I never have served, but it also would have been wrong for me to have served. But the people who have served, and continue to serve, I will always say are braver than I.

Citizenship doesn't matter to the military.  My dad was here less than a week (after waiting 6+ years to be allowed entry) and he was drafted.  His blood pressure and back problems kept him out.

Really? I did not know that. I guess if you have a green card and can work in the US, then you can also fight for it? Thanks for the info.

Really? I did not know that. I guess if you have a green card and can work in the US, then you can also fight for it? Thanks for the info.

My dad said every guy he knew that came over from Ireland when he did was drafted as well.

He said the most creative way one of the guys used to get out of service (I believe this particular person ended going back after a short time here) was speaking Gaelic and feigning no English speaking abilities.