5/3 games

MnSoxFan

2 doubles for Spidale and a triple and homer for Morse, lead Yofu to a 6-2 win over an ex-Sox draftee, we took him in top 10 rounds the year we took Kip Wells, Steve Kelly who went to Ga Tech instead.

BTW, in AAA tonight Kohlmeier against Joe Valentine, heh

Here is Baron's box http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...px?GAMEID=15633

Kanny beat the team with the best logo in the minors, Delmarva. Valido went 2-4 to raise his season average to .310. Thomas Brice also went 2-4. Shocking. Chris Young went 2-3 with 2 doubles and only 1 k. :ph34r: Tisch and Dizard combined for the shutout. :headbang Box Score

Charlotte just got totally shalacked. They gave up 12 runs. Kohlmeier (start) and Sanders got rocked. Wunsch and Duncan didn't do much better. Reed 1-3 with a walk, Borchard 1-4 with a run, Jose 0-4 with 3 Ks. :lol: Joe Valentine and Aaron Myette combined to give up only 1 run, unearned. Valentine is scuffling so far this year though. Box Score

Good news in Winston-Salem! They won 8-5 over Frederick, the only team with a worse record in the Carolina League than the Warthogs. Sweeney went 1-4 with a double, a walk, an RBI, and a run. Nanita went 0-4 with a walk and a run. The news of the night was Brian Anderson. He went 4-5 with 2 home runs (his first of the season) and 5 RBI! LaMura got the win. Box Score

Is it just me or does any1 else want to see Jose spend at least another week in Charlotte to find his groove. Real good to hear bout Brian Anderson, he's got the best power potential out of our outfield prospects. Kohlmeier got the start and suffered, Grilli got hit hard yesterday as well I think.

Morse hits solo homer, RBI triple for Barons

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

DENNIS VICTORY

For The Birmingham News

Despite hitting two home runs and driving in four runs in the past two games against the Chattanooga Lookouts, Birmingham Barons shortstop Mike Morse prefers to look at the bigger picturure.

"I don't want to be the kind of player who's up here and down there," the 6-foot-5, 235-pound Morse said of any hot streak talk. "I'm trying to keep it up and stay on an even keel, an even pace. Maybe on some days when I'm not playing so good at the plate, I can help with my defense."

Morse provided both good defense and solid hitting during a Monday morning game against the Lookouts, belting a run-scoring triple and a solo home run to help the Barons to a 6-2 victory over the Lookouts.

"Mike Morse has been swinging the bat well all season," said Barons manager Razor Shines. "Manny Trillo (hitting coach) has been working countless hours with these guys and it's good to see it paying off."

The White Sox picked Morse in the third round of the 2000 draft and the 22-year old has improved at every stop. He's hitting a team- and career-high .325 and also leads the Barons in home runs (seven), RBIs (17) and hits (23).

Hitting at the No. 3 position for the first time in his career, Morse sees fewer fastballs in the spot. Morse's homer came when Chattanooga starter Steve Kelley (3-1) tried to sneak an outside fastball by him in the sixth with the Lookouts leading 2-1.

"I was looking for something in my zone, middle and away," Morse said. "I love the fastball away. He happened to throw it right in my cookie and I was able to get enough juice on it."

The Barons took the lead for good in the sixth when Aaron McNeal doubled home Carlos Maldonado, who singled to follow Morse.

Birmingham put the game out of reach in the seventh with three runs on consecutive run-scoring hits by Michael Spidale, Morse and Maldonado. Spidale doubled, his second of the game, Morse tripled and Maldonado picked up his third single of the day. The Barons outhit the Lookouts 10-9.

Birmingham starter Tetsu Yofu (3-1) allowed all nine Chattanooga hits and both runs in 6Ҡinnings. Yofu struck out seven and threw 91 pitches with 71 strikes.

"It all starts with your starting pitching," Shines said. "He kept us in the game. Going 6Ҡwas more than enough."

The Barons picked up the first run of the game when Spidale doubled down the right field line and Maldonado drove him in with a two-out single in the first.

The Lookouts tied the score with a run in the third and took a 2-1 lead in the sixth, setting up Birmingham's comeback in the bottom of the inning.

The two teams meet for the final game of the series today at 7 p.m.

No...... he is a career .250 hitter.  Give it time to see how long this will last.  He still has weaknesses.

Agreed, I saw him out in Tucson, he's got potential but he is by no means ready for a step above AA.

Guest JimH

I agree, we watched him play several times in Tucson. He's got good instincts and a good arm from SS. Tough call on his hands, that infield is rock hard down there.

At bat, he looked a little weak on situational hitting and pitch recognition. Swing is a bit long too ... he has done his fair share of striking out in his pro career.

That said, his progress is encouraging. Maybe he is starting to realize his potential and Trillo is pushing the right buttons.

My hope is he gets 400+ AB's in Birmingham and we'll then have a better idea of just what we've got.

Give Morse the full season in AA. Its great to see him progressing offensively, but he's still a ways away, as is Ruddy Yan. I think both of them have good upside but it will be time well spent in Birmingham. Both would be extremely overmatched in AAA, imo, as would Spidale who really seems to be progressing nicely for the Barons.