wunsch will have a battle on his hands

baggio202

Well, I definitely like Kelly, and as long as he's healthy, I want him as the Sox's "crafty lefty" out of the pen. We've got the flame-thrower with Marte from the left side, and having Wunsch will be a stark contrast, and will keep the opposition on their toes if both are warming up. Having another hard thrower wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the Sox.

Well, I definitely like Kelly, and as long as he's healthy, I want him as the Sox's "crafty lefty" out of the pen.  We've got the flame-thrower with Marte from the left side, and having Wunsch will be a stark contrast, and will keep the opposition on their toes if both are warming up.  Having another hard thrower wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the Sox.

I like your thinking here!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with what was already stated. Having Wunsch, the Sox finesse lefty, gives the South Siders a good lefty sharpshooter. Marte is a lefty good for a whole inning cause he can do well against both lefties and righties (better at lefties though obviously), but Wunsch has a tough time against righties, but is also PHENOMINAL against lefties. If the Sox are up against a tough lefty, for example Jason Giambi, they can put Wunsch in and be more confident that Giambi won't crush the ball. As long as Wunsch is a good, healthy, lefty-submariner the whole season, he will work wonders for the White Sox.

I like Wunsch out of the lefty slot. I agree with what everyone else says, him and Marte both compliment eachother as well. Still, Sanders and Munoz are really talented as well, but I think for them to earn the slot they'd have to pitch absolutely fantastic while Wunsch struggled. One thing if we had Sanders or Munoz, we'd have guys that could probably throw more innings.

If the Sox are up against a tough lefty, for example Jason Giambi, they can put Wunsch in and be more confident that Giambi won't crush the ball. As long as Wunsch is a good, healthy, lefty-submariner the whole season, he will work wonders for the White Sox.

Excuse me about Wunsch, but isn't he the same one that gave up a two-run homer to a Twinkie in the homerdome and lost the game for the Sox 3-2 (end of the season).

I hope that an extra year after Kelly's arm operation means he is stronger and returns to 2000 form or one of those rookies will have his job.

Does anyone have the stats on Wunsch vs lefties?

And on Marte when he inherits baserunners. Last season it was lights out if no one was on base when Damaso was brought in. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed that if Damaso was brought in with baserunners, especially with RISP, he was atrocious. I'm not a stat-head..... I admit that..... and I am not even sure that they keep stats on the above. But I think a look at the aforementioned, if kept, would be an eye-opener to most Sox fans..... or maybe just me if I'm wrong on this.

If the Sox are up against a tough lefty, for example Jason Giambi, they can put Wunsch in and be more confident that Giambi won't crush the ball. As long as Wunsch is a good, healthy, lefty-submariner the whole season, he will work wonders for the White Sox.

Excuse me about Wunsch, but isn't he the same one that gave up a two-run homer to a Twinkie in the homerdome and lost the game for the Sox 3-2 (end of the season).

I hope that an extra year after Kelly's arm operation means he is stronger and returns to 2000 form or one of those rookies will have his job.

That was MB.

for those who asked

lefties hit 208 against wunsch, righties 268

marte with runners on base 270 , RISP 259 , bases empty 157

Thanks Baggs..... although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, he is much better with no one on than anybody on. Cooper needs to work on Damaso's state-of-mind when entering a game and inheriting baserunners. Hopefully, some of that blame could be deflected to Nardi..... although he wasn't here that long in 2002.

for those who asked

lefties hit 208 against wunsch, righties 268

marte with runners on base 270 , RISP 259 , bases empty 157

Thanks Baggs..... although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, he is much better with no one on than anybody on. Cooper needs to work on Damaso's state-of-mind when entering a game and inheriting baserunners. Hopefully, some of that blame could be deflected to Nardi..... although he wasn't here that long in 2002.

Nardi was here have the year, wasn't he?

In the first half, his ERA was 3.09(over 8 in April)...in the second half, it was 2.49(his highest ERA total for one month was 3.27 in July....had a 0 ERA in 7.2 innings in September).

Had a 5.14 ERA with RISP in the second half of the year....that is compared to a 8.38 ERA in the first half. However(and I think this is the biggest point)....opponents also had a .442 average against Damaso in the first half with RISP....a .200 average against him in the second half. If you want me to go into more detail, I could.

Also....don't let him pitch in day games....his ERA was 5.24 in day games....1.42 in night games.

And on Marte when he inherits baserunners. Last season it was lights out if no one was on base when Damaso was brought in. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed that if Damaso was brought in with baserunners, especially with RISP, he was atrocious. I'm not a stat-head..... I admit that..... and I am not even sure that they keep stats on the above. But I think a look at the aforementioned, if kept, would be an eye-opener to most Sox fans..... or maybe just me if I'm wrong on this.

I remember when Baggs brought it up when the site was on the really older boards he had all the stats and they proved exactly what you said Cubkilla.

Still, I think that is something that evens out. Marte limits opponents to a low average and I think he should improve with runners in scoring position and I think he did as the season went on. I also remember him giving up a lot of tough luck inherited runs.

I remember when Baggs brought it up when the site was on the really older boards he had all the stats and they proved exactly what you said Cubkilla.

Still, I think that is something that evens out. Marte limits opponents to a low average and I think he should improve with runners in scoring position and I think he did as the season went on. I also remember him giving up a lot of tough luck inherited runs.

i think when i brought those stats up at that time guys were hitting like 407 against marte with runners on base...the 2nd half of the season he pitched lights out in almost every situation

I think 2000 was Wunsch's career year. He will not duplicate it.

I say no way Wunsch finishes the year in the Sox pen unless he is a 3rd lefty used in a mop up role only. I'm not convinced he will start the season with the Sox, but unless he implodes in ST, he'll probably get the nod.

Guest hotsoxchick1

what i dont get is, just exactly what kind of battle can wunch have on his hands..... he only comes in for one batter so whats there to battle about.. its not like he tosses for two or more innings...........kelly will do what kelly does best.. waste time till the clean up crew is ready and warmed up in the pen..............

He does his job, but I also see upside in having another lefty that can really throw innings or a righty in Almonte. I don't think Almonte can make the team out of spring unless one of the righties gets injured or if the Sox decide to carry an extra reliever. With Marte as the set up man with Flash, the Sox will need a second lefty whether its Munoz, Sanders or Wunsch. As long as Wunsch doesn't suck, I think he'll keep the job, but it will be interesting if Sanders and Munoz put up stats similar to winterball, cause if thats the case one of them will be getting a job, imo.

ChiSoxfn, when has Wunsch done his job since 2000? Do you remember him pitching in any games with meaning last year? Did they use him in late inning situations with the game on the line? No, he was a mop up guy, pitching in meaningless situations.

Wunsch is roster filler and will not be a big part of a winning Sox team this year.

what i dont get is, just exactly what kind of battle  can wunch have on his hands..... he only comes in for one batter so whats there to battle about.. its not like he tosses for two or more innings...........kelly will do what kelly does best.. waste time till the clean up crew is ready and warmed up in the pen..............

you answered you question in your response..the battle is wunsch can only pitch to a batter or two...munoz , who can come in and pitch 2 or 3 innnings , is better suited to pitch on a staff thats only carrying 11 pitchers this year instead of the normal 12