An Early Prediction

Chisoxfn

He is a catcher for Cal State Fullerton and in my opinion would be a great pick up for the SOx in one of the early rounds. Suzuki has absolutely crushed the ball and is very smooth behind the plate.

Offensively he's gotten better every year and the Fullerton pitchers will attest to the fact that he flat out knows how to call a game.

I used to think Clement or Landon Powell would be sweet picks, but count me in as wanting Kurt Suzuki. He is hitting .439 with 11HR, 58 RBI, 42 BB, and only 22 K.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the light-hitting Jason Gage from USCF....he's not very good, but sources say he could be the team pimp....

I hope I didn't need green for you to catch the tons of sarcasm in that one......

How about the light-hitting Jason Gage from USCF....he's not very good, but sources say he could be the team pimp....

I hope I didn't need green for you to catch the tons of sarcasm in that one......

:lolhitting

I sweep in as the assistant GM of the Sox :headbang

I doubt the Sox go after a position player early on, especially with this year's draft. I'd expect the Sox to go pitching heavy early and often, with maybe overdrafting Powell considering they've got an abundance of picks.

Strong arm, although just recently is when he started making great strides behind the plate. I read in the school paper and he was talking about how much he's learned this season since he's dealing with a very young, inexperienced pitching staff.

He's about 5'10 and cut (good strenght). He's Hawaiin, not really relevant, but everyone brings it up in every article I've ever seen on him in the school paper. He's also going to likely win the Big West player of the year.

I think he's got the tools to be a good to above average defensive catcher and offensively he's just starting to reach his peak.

By the way, welcome aboard Chris. Your minor league and major league knowledge will definately be a great addition :headbang

Jas, catchers almost never make it when drafted as catchers, I will betcha 95% never do. No way we waste one, remember how good Sardhina was supposed to be for Cincy, that was a wasted pick. No way we do that, if we do I will be pissed.

Well I'm not implying taking one in the 1st round, however, sometime between 1-10 may not be bad. The Sox have absolutely nothing in the organization behind the plate and I think it would be a wise move.

You gotta take chances every once in a while. I'd like to see the Sox at least get one guy with the tools and ability to make it behind the plate, just in case Olivo gets hurt or doesn't pan out.

I do see your point though.

I'm telling ya guys, Suzuki is a stud.  He's got major leaguer written all over him.

Sorry Jas, we have a stud catcher, his name is Miguel Olivo.

Draft a pitcher or a good position player like a SS, 2B.

Get a catcher in the later rounds.

Jas, catchers almost never make it when drafted as catchers, I will betcha 95% never do. No way we waste one, remember how good Sardhina was supposed to be for Cincy, that was a wasted pick. No way we do that, if we do I will be pissed.

Sardinha is a good example, but I think he's finally hitting in AA with Detroit.

Mike Ivie is the perfect example, except he was drafted out of HS (see Ben Davis).

Guest JimH

The Sox' recent history has been to take a catcher within the first 5 rounds.

The problem has been signing them (Zeringue, Richie).

I agree the organizational depth is sorely lacking at catcher. The unfortunate reality is with a position like catcher, which is so much in demand, sometimes a team has to "reach" in the draft.

It appears to be a pitching heavy draft, and the Sox needs arms (so does everyone else). If a team is to be overloaded at one position, pitching should be it. You can always trade pitching to fill other needs.

Personally, I would like to get a college starter who can be ready in 18-24 months.

Early in this draft I want pitching, pitching nad more pitching. I'd think the Sox will go heavy on college pitchers too. Then I think you'll see them look for a few toolsy middle infielders that have leadoff like potential and grab a 3rd baseman.

The Sox' recent history has been to take a catcher within the first 5 rounds.

The problem has been signing them (Zeringue, Richie).

I agree the organizational depth is sorely lacking at catcher.  The unfortunate reality is with a position like catcher, which is so much in demand, sometimes a team has to "reach" in the draft.

It appears to be a pitching heavy draft, and the Sox needs arms (so does everyone else).  If a team is to be overloaded at one position, pitching should be it.  You can always trade pitching to fill other needs.

Personally, I would like to get a college starter who can be ready in 18-24 months.

Zeringue is an example of a catcher who switched to the OF. Another is the catcher from Stanford or somewhere named Ryan Garko who is mostly DHing or playing 1B, I just do not like taking a catcher. Normally you take a middle infielder who has a great arm but not the real quickness needed for professional ball and convert him to a catcher (Brandon Inge). That works way better than taking a catcher from college (who thought AJ Hinch would never pan out?)