NBA Finals Thread

The Playoffs have recieved little attention this year. The Bulls did not come close, my Nets were eliminated quickly, and KG could not take down the lakers, ugh. However, I love basketball and plan on watching the finals (but not tonight).

This matchup does not have the personalities of the "showtime lakers vs. the bad boy Pistons" matchups of the late 80's, however I expect a good series. Ben Wallace is a beast inside and his presense alone will prevent the Lakers from destroying the Pistons inside like they did to the Nets, 76ers, and Pacers.

Kobe, Gary, and Fisher are better than Rasheed, Billups, and Hamilton but the Pistons front court will be tough on the lakers. The Pistons offense looked horrible at times against the Pacers, but I think in this series they will score more than they are used to.

My Prediction: Pistons in 7

Ok, now this is the time when all the experts out their call me retarded :bringit

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Prediction: Pistons in 7

Ok, now this is the time when all the experts out their call me retarded :bringit

The experts can go to hell. Pistons in 7.

You have to defend Kobe the way that teams used to defend Jordan with small defensive-minded guards like Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson, John Starks, etc.

There's a man on the Pistons who fits this profile, and his name is Lindsey Hunter.

The Sun Times said that the Lakers bench is better, but that's bulls***. Wow, Kareem Rush can hit a few threes and Derek Fisher is a good actor. Rick Fox is crap. That bench sucks, IMO.

The experts can go to hell.  Pistons in 7. 

You have to defend Kobe the way that teams used to defend Jordan with small defensive-minded guards like Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson, John Starks, etc. 

There's a man on the Pistons who fits this profile, and his name is Lindsey Hunter. 

The Sun Times said that the Lakers bench is better, but that's bulls***.  Wow, Kareem Rush can hit a few threes and Derek Fisher is a good actor.  Rick Fox is crap.  That bench sucks, IMO.

Lindsay Hunter got traded to the Celtics, never played a game, got released and then signed back up with Detroit..

How odd is that.

Lindsay Hunter got traded to the Celtics, never played a game, got released and then signed back up with Detroit..

How odd is that.

Lindsey is one of the best on the ball defenders in the league.

Doug Collins said that he was one of the top five in the NBA, although I wouldn't go as far as to say that. He is damn good, though.

The Celtics are just a dumb organization these days. Orlando, Washington, and Milwaukee had Ben Wallace riding the bench for a while there. Stupid organizations. They just don't know what it takes to win. It's all so simple. :D

...I can't remember one oversized small forward/undersized power forward in the last 3+ years...

who are you thinking of?

Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, etc. There's someone else in this group, but I just can't think of his name.

Also, they like the oversized power forwards/undersized centers (Raef Lafrentz, Tony Battie, etc).

And how could they acquire a guy like Ricky Davis, a true scumbag if there ever was one?

There is so much more, but I'd have to do an internet search. How many draft picks with the exception of Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker have worked out over the past decade or so?

They are the greatest organization in the history of sports, perhaps (Canadiens and Yankees are right there with them). But over the last decade or so, they've been one of the dumbest organizations in the NBA. It's a shame that McHale and Bird go elsewhere & both of their teams reach the conference finals this year while the Celtics are in shambles.

I just can't cheer for Kobe, I don't see how anyone can. He's arrogant, stays away from his teammates off the floor, and who knows who the real Kobe is.

"Kobe, Gary, and Fisher are better than Rasheed, Billups, and Hamilton"

I have to disagree with that comment. Hamilton has become a star in the league and is one of the top 2 guards in the NBA. Sure Kobe is the best, but Rip has moved into the top 5 also. Rasheed is as talented as any player in the NBA, and if he actually takes the offense into his hands he can dominate. He has been almost too passive on the Pistons, he's become a great teammate, but they need his offense badly. Chauncey Billups has also turned into a nice player, he can score 25 on any night, but he dissapears sometimes still.

I would say those players cancel each other out, it will come down to whether Shaq can be stopped inside. Ben Wallace can't do it alone, they are gonna need fouls from Okur, Wallace and Wallace, Elden Campbell, and even Darko. They have to hope Shaq shoots less than 50% from the line also. If I were the Pistons I would keep feeding whoever Shaq is quarding the ball and try to get him in foul trouble, otherwise, Shaq will dominate.

Antoine Walker, Walter McCarty, etc.  There's someone else in this group, but I just can't think of his name.

both were actually drafted as small forwards, and were only drafted after the Celtics got screwed out of Duncan, and because Pitino wanted some Kentucky guys.

Also, they like the oversized power forwards/undersized centers (Raef Lafrentz, Tony Battie, etc).

Lafrentz was considered a power forward all along, and the real man of that deal was Jiri Welsch, but without Lafrentz' 9 million dollar contract, it was impossible to pull off.

And how could they acquire a guy like Ricky Davis, a true scumbag if there ever was one?

ahh, another one of them Ricky Davis is a bad person because of one triple double incident.. if you've been paying attention to his entire career, you'd realize that besides that one dumb mistake he made, he's done nothing but good for both the teams he's played for, and the community that the team is from. Ricky's involved with Read to Achieve and is huge around Boston with schools along with Paul Pierce.

There is so much more, but I'd have to do an internet search.  How many draft picks with the exception of Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker have worked out over the past decade or so?

Not many, but alot of that has to be blamed on the fact that Rick Pitino was just not a professional coach and his style of coaching did not belong at the NBA level. The last few years have definitly gotten better, especially last year drafting Marcus Banks whose got a ton of upside, along with Kendrick Perkins who reminds people of Zach Randolph, and Brandon Hunter in the second round which shows Danny knows how to draft.

Overall, yes the Celtics have been a dumb organization in the 90's but with the turn of the century, we've seen better drafting, smarter signings, and good all around moves that show this team is going in the right direction. Drafting Paul Pierce, acquiring Raef Lafrentz and Jiri Welsch for Antoine Walker, while completely stealing Ricky Davis and Chris Mihm from the Cavs. The good definitly outweighs the bad, and its clear your a basketball guy, and you know your stuff, but to say that the Celtics are a dumb organization as a whole is off based.

Overall, yes the Celtics have been a dumb organization in the 90's but with the turn of the century, we've seen better drafting, smarter signings, and good all around moves that show this team is going in the right direction. Drafting Paul Pierce, acquiring Raef Lafrentz and Jiri Welsch for Antoine Walker, while completely stealing Ricky Davis and Chris Mihm from the Cavs.  The good definitly outweighs the bad, and its clear your a basketball guy, and you know your stuff, but to say that the Celtics are a dumb organization as a whole is off based.

I can live with that. :cheers

We'll see how Banks, Welsch, Perkins, and Hunter work out.

Wow, I forgot the finals started today. Nothin to really talk about though. The eastern conference has totally sucked ass since 1998. Not that I think the "rape show" is great. I think they're the worst multiple champion of the last 20 years or so. But they'll have their way with another cream puff "eastern" conference team. Rape show in 5.