*Official Draft Thread*

Palehosefan

As you can tell I'm kind of a fan of the draft. I'm hoping for BJ Syzmanski or Greg Golson with our first pick, but wouldn't be sad at all with Neil Walker or Josh Fields. Anyone else have anyone they have settled on that they are hoping for?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

I hope they get the 3B from Oklahoma State, Fields.

But I think they'll take a pitcher.

The reason I like Fields is, he appears to be a clutch player and has star potential, plus we have no depth at 3B and a little competition won't hurt Crede.

The only thing that soothes the pain of another Billy Koch BS/L is knowing that we are going to get a couple nice prospects tommorow.

If I had it my way, I'd take Fields in the first, Suzuki with one of the sandwich picks, and Howell in the second. I'm really hoping we get Howell; I can't see why a Zito-like curveball, as well as awesome numbers in the Big 12 (1.70 ERA) are being overlooked.

I would like to see them take a chance on Collin Mahoney as maybe a future closer in the 2nd or 3rd round. Although we aren't too fond of Clemson's last 100mph'er right now. This from BA.

"A former catcher, Mahoney has embraced the move to the mound, even using the same adviser who represents the patron saint of catcher-to-pitcher conversions, Troy Percival. Mahoney showed raw power at the plate but hit just .239 in 184 college at-bats. The burly 6-foot-4, 240-pounder became a scouting sensation when he hit 100 mph several times this spring, making him the draft's hardest thrower and owner of an 80 fastball grade, at the top of the 20-80 scouting scale. Scouts also are impressed that Mahoney has an idea of the strike zone with his fastball and 86-87 mph slider. His lack of experience shows up most in fielding, holding runners and the nuances of setting up hitters."

A few rumors out there for other teams for anyone who cares. Apparently the Expos could have guaranteed Richie Robnett as the pick at 13, its again a reach by the Expos, but a guy that will sign easy and can get to the big leagues with a relatively low ceiling.

Also, apparently the Mets are sold on Humber from Rice if he's there. I would ABSOLUTELY HATE to see the Indians get their hands on Niemann at #6, that would be terrible to face Sabathia, Davis, Lee, and Niemann all the time.

Latest update from BA:

1) Padres - Stephan Drew still the fav but Padres don't won't to giv him a bonus like Richie Weeks got from the Brewers. Local boy Matt Bush could now be the pick.

2) Tiggies - If Drew drops, they'll snap him up. Othawise they'll take Justin Verlander or Homer Bailey.

3) Mets - If Verlander drops, Mets will take him. Othawise it'll be Phillip Humber.

4) D-Rays - SS Chris Nelson is the fav., which is weird considerin they already hav B.J Upton. Otha options include Rice boy Niemann or Wade Townsend.

5) Brewers - If Humber is still on the board, they'll take him. If he isn't, they'll take righty Mark Rogers.

The Indians do like Sowers alot, it will be interesting to see if they pass on Niemann. Here's what they are saying the latest about the D-Rays speaking about Chris Nelson.

"He's still considered the best high school position player available, but no longer the frontrunner to go No. 4 as Tampa Bay considers some college pitching."

So it looks like we know a few picks already, 6. Indians Jeremy Sowers, 11. Pittsburgh Neil Walker, 13. Expos Richie Robnett

This is gonna be interesting, nobody knows for sure who's going where, can't remember it this chaotic right before a draft in a long time. Slight injuries are dropping Niemann's stock, it will be interesting also to see how close he gets to the Sox. I have a feeling we will have a shot at either Verlander, Weaver, or Neimann. That would be tough to not take a chance on any of them.

Is there a chance that any of these real good pitchers would drop to us? Any chance at all, kind of like in this years NFL Draft how Roethlisburger fell all the way to 12?

Can we start an *Official* Draft thread? That would be just, so cool! :lol:

I'm actually pretty pumped myself, this is the first draft I'll be listening live to and really following closely. WOOT! :headbang :snr

Is there a chance that any of these real good pitchers would drop to us?  Any chance at all, kind of like in this years NFL Draft how Roethlisburger fell all the way to 12?

Can we start an *Official* Draft thread?  That would be just, so cool!  :lol:

I'm actually pretty pumped myself, this is the first draft I'll be listening live to and really following closely.  WOOT!  :headbang  :snr

I guess this can be the "Official" Draft Thread. A Mod can change the name of the thread if they want. I'm prob gonna stay up tonite and see who we draft, it's on bout 2 or 3 a.m my time. :lol:

Looks like the Padres hav their man, from BA,

Our story Sunday morning concerning San Diego now looking at shortstop Matt Bush looks like the real deal, as sources have the Padres and Bush agreeing to a pre-draft deal for $3.1 million as the No. 1 overall selection. Where this leaves Stephen Drew and Jered Weaver remains one of the great mysteries, as both could plummet into the lower half of the first round.

Looks like the Padres hav their man, from BA,

Our story Sunday morning concerning San Diego now looking at shortstop Matt Bush looks like the real deal, as sources have the Padres and Bush agreeing to a pre-draft deal for $3.1 million as the No. 1 overall selection. Where this leaves Stephen Drew and Jered Weaver remains one of the great mysteries, as both could plummet into the lower half of the first round.

Lower half of the first round?!?!?! I would cream myself if Jared Weaver fell to the Sox! :headbang

I am wondering if the Sox will swing a trade or 2 today. Like on the draft days for the NHL trades fly around. Hopefully the Sox can make something happen. If no trade who is projected to go to the Sox??

No trades allowed in the MLB Draft. Projected to be around when we 1st pick at 18 is Josh Fields a third baseman, David Purcey LHP and B.J Syzmanski an outfielder from Princeton. I think we'll take Fields personally if he's still on the board. :o

It's official, Matt Bush will be the #1 pick. From BA,

With less than a week to go, the Padres zeroed in on Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew with the No. 1 pick. Then they were stopped cold when owner John Moores abruptly decided that San Diego wouldn't exceed Major League Baseball's recommended bonus for the No. 1 slot, believed to be in the neighborhood of $3.5 million. That took Drew out of play and sent the Padres to local Mission Bay High shortstop Matt Bush, who signed for $3.1 million on Sunday. Drew and Long Beach State righthander Jered Weaver, also once under consideration to go first overall, are tumbling down the first round and could slide all the way through.

I don't think i'd be a big fan of handing Weaver 10.5 mil (or whatever it is he wants) when he has yet to pitch an inning in the majors.

Look if the Dodgers don't pick him in the 1st round at 17 or 28, I can't see another team picking Jered Weaver in the 1st round. This reeks of the Rick Ankiel situation of a few years ago, and look at Ankiel now. ;)

You don't think the Yankees would take him?

Yankees don't hav a 1st round pick. They gave that up when they signed Paul Quantrill from the Dodgers. They mite hav a 2nd, but afta what happened with his brother, I'd doubt he'd want to play for the Yanks. ;)