*Official Draft Thread*

Palehosefan

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankees don't hav a 1st round pick. They gave that up when they signed Paul Quantrill from the Dodgers. They mite hav a 2nd, but afta what happened with his brother, I'd doubt he'd want to play for the Yanks.  ;)

Actually they do have a first rounder, from the 'Stros for Andy Pettitte.

They have us drafting Fields, Vargas, and Jaramillo in the first and suppltemental 1st. That would be AWESOME.

Info on Vargas, supposedly we REALLY want him, I can see why. From BA.

Vargas has been overshadowed at Long Beach State by Jered Weaver, the projected No. 1 pick, but has commanded plenty of interest himself. In fact, his velocity has often topped Weaver's. He has been clocked up to 95 mph, a vast improvement from 2003 at Cypress JC, where his fastball ranged from 86-90. Scouts said Vargas was always capable of throwing harder, but it didn't happen until he took extra measures to tone up his 6-foot, 215-pound frame. Also an accomplished hitter, he was used more in a DH role this spring to conserve his energy. He was hitting .368-5-32 while going 7-6, 4.25 with 81 strikeouts in 97 innings on the mound. Vargas, who spent his freshman year at Louisiana State, doesn't have an especially fast arm, and there are questions whether he profiles better as a reliever or starter because he lacks a dominant second pitch. But he's a lefthander with a mid-90s fastball, and that alone should make him a sandwich pick or high second-rounder.

Another Weaver rumor from BA,

11:35 AM ET: Monday Morning Rumor Dept.

As the baseball world continues to ponder where Jered Weaver might fall, the Cardinals may be the best first-round possibility. They've gotten deals done with Scott Boras draft picks in the past, including another guy who had a rumored eight-figure price tag, J.D. Drew.

Draft Order for Round 1:

1. Padres

2. Tigers

3. Mets

4. Devil Rays

5. Brewers

6. Indians

7. Reds

8. Orioles

9. Rockies

10. Rangers

11. Pirates

12. Angels

13. Expos

14. Royals

15. Diamondbacks

16. Blue Jays

17. Dodgers

18. White Sox

19. Cardinals

20. Twins

21. Phillies

22. Twins (Mariners for Eddie Guardado)

23. Yankees (Astros for Andy Pettitte)

24. Athletics (Red Sox for Keith Foulke)

25. Twins (Cubs for LaTroy Hawkins)

26. Athletics

27. Marlins

28. Dodgers (Yankees for Paul Quantrill)

29. Royals (Giants for Michael Tucker)

30. Rangers (Braves for John Thomson)

Hey guys I'm going to be around listening today as well...really pumped for the draft.

IMO, Weaver is NOT worth the money he's asking for if he falls to us. Too many picks to sign/he's no Prior. I'd really love to see us get Syzmanski or Fields and then some good college pitching. That would be a boon for the Sox. Overall, they're saying this is a pretty weak draft pool but the beauty of the MLB draft is it's unpredictability.

About a half an hour until coverage starts! Whoo! :headbang

Hey guys I'm going to be around listening today as well...really pumped for the draft.

IMO, Weaver is NOT worth the money he's asking for if he falls to us. Too many picks to sign/he's no Prior. I'd really love to see us get Syzmanski or Fields and then some good college pitching. That would be a boon for the Sox. Overall, they're saying this is a pretty weak draft pool but the beauty of the MLB draft is it's unpredictability.

About a half an hour until coverage starts! Whoo!  :headbang

I think that's the way most of us want this draft to pan out. Mayb a higher prospect will slide down to us that we can sign though at 18 which would be nice. :)

This is a draft that we can REALLY restock our system, we have 7 of the top 90 picks. I think we will see 1 OF, 1 Catcher, 1 3B, and 4 Pitchers, just my opinion.

Well said. I don't see us necessarily going after an OF or even a 3B, but Fields and Szymanski would be one of those with the first pick. I'm really big on drafting really athletic players. Both also played football and seem to have major potential considering they are tearing it up. Fields hasn't fully committed to baseball until now so once he plays full time he should improve. Szymanski didn't even play his freshman year I believe and look at him now. It's that kind of stuff that tells me they have somewhat high ceilings as well as being more experienced and proven than HSers. I'm excited, but I'm missing the start of the draft because I have a final to take. :( Oh well, I'm hoping to come home to see one of those 2 taken by the Sox. :headbang

Another draft rumor, can't see this happenin though even if it has nothin to do with us.

12:13 PM ET: Crazy Last-Hour Rumor Dept.

The Reds may be considering Woodinville (Wash.) HS outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo at No. 7. He's one of the nation's top quarterback recruits and a very good athlete, but it's hard to believe Cincinnati would pass up players like Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson and Texas HS righty Homer Bailey to take him. Cincy probably could get Tuiasosopo in the second round, unless the Yankees take him at No. 42. New York reportedly is interested.

Updates coming fast now,

12:25 PM ET: Has Drew Found A Home?

Florida State shortstop Stephen Drew may not tumble too far after all. The Orioles appear to be closing in on Drew at No. 8. The ripple effects: The Rockies take Georgia HS shortstop Chris Nelson at No. 9, and the Rangers could ponder taking Rice righthander Wade Townsend rather than Missouri HS lefty Scott Elbert at No. 10. At No. 13, the Expos would take Townsend, and if he's not there, likely William & Mary lefty Bill Bray or New Orleans righty Thomas Diamond. If Montreal winds up with Bray, the Diamondbacks would take Oklahoma lefty David Purcey at 15, and the Blue Jays would take Texas A&M lefty Zach Jackson if Purcey is gone at 16.