Something brewing?

YASNY

Supersteve, I'm almost there with you on Sheets. I think Sheets may be special. The concern I would have again though is our ability to sign him to a contract.

Which brings me back to the philosophy issue. We need to remember that $10 million dollar players are just not reasonable unless we dramatically change our budget expectations. We can't pay one player 1/6 of our budget and not have it cost us in terms of losing other players via FA.

The Marlins and A's have proved that you can win championships with smaller budgets if you build from within. I'm afraid that's what we are stuck with under JR.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the sox brass [and Hawk] not touting Reed, and hyping Borchard to the hilt, it sounds like a sales job to me.

Reed is younger, with a better batting eye, proven minor league success, whose game translates well in the majors for the next 10 years or so. The only way Reed is traded away is if the sox can sign a SP for a few years. Not for a 1/2 year of Garcia.

Borchard? I can see for Garcia. But Reed has a much higher upside than Joe B based on their pro careers. [higher avg, better SLG %, higher OBP]

I honestly can't get over all of this LOVE for Jeremy Reed.

Enough already.

The guy hasn't played a single game in the majors and people are ready to retire his number. He hasn't done anything to warrant all of this.  Who cares if he was the Minor League Player of the Year (so was Jon Rauch).  I am tired of hanging on to prospect to plan for the future.  I want to win now.  Any of the proven starters (Garcia, Sheets, Livan) will help us a ton.  We need to go for it. 

Ask yourself,

If you could have one of the following, which would you rather have.

1. Jeremy Reed in a White Sox uniform.

2. Chicago White Sox: 2004 American League Champions.

I want to win now.  I am not convinced adding one starter will make us win it all, but I am convinced it is a necessary move that needs to be made.  If we can make a big trade without trading Reed, I am all for it, but if it is Reed that it is gonna take... Trade Him.

Who's to say keeping Reed won't give the Sox 5 more AL titles? No one can guarantee getting Garcia will make the sox AL champs. No other team will trade a guy of Reed's talent for either Beltran or Garcia. Only for a guy who's signed for a few years.

I know what you're asking would you trade Rick Sutcliffe for Joe Carter? Even if Garcia gave what Sutcliffe gave in 1984, I wouldn't do it. Keepign a guy like Reed, who many compare to Palmiero, could give the Sox many more titles.

Reed has done what few others have done as a pro. A .350 + BA? An OBP of .400+, a SLG of .480+, going through every level? He's as close to a lock for a great 10 year major league career as any minor leaguer out there. Too much for a 1/2 year rental.

I know what you're asking would you trade Rick Sutcliffe for Joe Carter? Even if Garcia gave what Sutcliffe gave in 1984, I wouldn't do it. Keepign a guy like Reed, who many compare to Palmiero, could give the Sox many more titles.

Reed has done what few others have done as a pro. A .350 + BA? An OBP of .400+, a SLG of .480+, going through every level? He's as close to a lock for a great 10 year major league career as any minor leaguer out there. Too much for a 1/2 year rental.

I agree Beck and I remember that Sutcliffe went 16-1 that year for the Cubs. He was Cy Young-like. And, still, if I were a Cub fan I feel like we got burned in that trade.

Supersteve, I'm almost there with you on Sheets.  I think Sheets may be special. The concern I would have again though is our ability to sign him to a contract.

Which brings me back to the philosophy issue.  We need to remember that $10 million dollar players are just not reasonable unless we dramatically change our budget expectations.  We can't pay one player 1/6 of our budget and not have it cost us in terms of losing other players via FA.

The Marlins and A's have proved that you can win championships with smaller budgets if you build from within.  I'm afraid that's what we are stuck with under JR.

I think it would be a larger package. We could try and make a package of Sheets and Kolb for let's say Reed, Rauch, and someone else. Something along those lines (alhough I assume it would take more for us to get both Sheets and Kolb).

Reed may very well be a damn good ballplayer, but based on talent, Joe Borchard has a MUCH greater upside. We nusred Borchard along till he is just about ready to make a contribution in Chicago. I don't want to give up on this guy now. Someone said Reed has been compared to Palmeiro, but the only one I've seen him compared to is Kotsay. That's a helluva difference.

I'd like to keep Reed, but if moving him proves to be necessary to get a good starting pitcher, then do it. However, I want someone that is already under contract for 2005.

Reed may very well be a damn good ballplayer, but based on talent, Joe Borchard has a MUCH greater upside

How do you figure?

If Reed hits like Catalonato, walks like Youklis, fields like Kotsay and runs like Posednik....I'll take him over Joe "Russel Branyon" Borchard any day.

Remember, all the power in the world won't matter if you are way tardy on a fastball and way in front of a breaking ball.

How do you figure?

If Reed hits like Catalonato, walks like Youklis, fields like Kotsay and runs like Posednik....I'll take him over Joe "Russel Branyon" Borchard any day.

Remember, all the power in the world won't matter if you are way tardy on a fastball and way in front of a breaking ball.

Borchard has 4 of the 5 tools. If he can shorten up that swing, he'll be a stud. I know it's a big if, but I'm not really excited about the next Mark Kotsay, either.

We could try and make a package of Sheets and Kolb for let's say Reed, Rauch, and someone else.

I like the way you think, but that'll never happen. Those are two of the core guys on that team (Podsednik and Jenkins being the others). They have a s***load of great prosprects on the horizon. There's just now way in hell that they're that stupid. No way. They won't have a single fan left if they were to pull off something like that.

What sucks is that the Mets were supposed to disappear by now according to my calculations. :D They're still hanging around, trading for Hidalgo types and what not. That really sucks. Now they'll be out of it by the end of August as opposed to the end of July, so forget about Glavine. That's the guy that I really wanted.

How do you figure?

Reed has many tools that the Sox need, just like you said. He could provide good D, has speed on the bases, hits for high avg, makes contact vs tough RHP, and can hit a breaking ball [not many on the Sox do that well].

Joe B has always had the words "if only" applied to him since he started. Reed has gotten it done at a young age and hasn't levelled off [though he is below his normal production now]

I'd rather not part with either guy. But if someone had to go, it would have to be Joe B. Reed has talents that would make the Sox a better team than Joe B does, IMO. The Sox don't need a guy who can hit 25 HR's but K 200 times. They could use a guy who can hit 15 HR's and have a .375-.400 OBP to set the table for the other big bats.