Neal Cotts

jasonxctf

We have to stop giving up on our players so fast.

Its as if everyone expects a minor league player to come in and be the best player at his position.

Cotts has done an okay job, he needs to do a much much better job of not allowing home runs when hes ahead in the count. It seems like a problem other Sox pitchers are having as well.

SB

I think Cotts pitch selection is bad. Most the homeruns I've seen him give up are off his fastball, which is only like 91mph. He needs to get his change up bad and utilize his curveball more.

Cotts hides the ball well...his fastball is only 88-91, but it looks like it is in the mid-90s to hitters. It gets on them very quickly.

The reason he has been hit pretty hard in the majors is because he makes mistake pitches that minor league hitters foul off or pop up, or maybe just get solid hits off of them. Major league hitters don't miss those pitches. He'll learn that with time.

Over his last 6.2 relief innings, he's given up 9 runs.

That's bad, but over the same period he did this.

June 9 -- Relieved JA w/ 1 out men at 1st and 3rd -- Runners Stranded. -- Next inning retired 1 batter, gives up a double and a walk -- BK "relieves" him. Both runners score without BK recording an out.

June 18 -- Gets the win with a solid performance in Montreal.

June 21 -- Relieved MJ w/ 2out man on second - Runner stranded

June 22 -- Relieved EL w/ 1out men on 2nd & 3rd - Runners stranded

He's inheritted 5 runners in June -- They've all died on the basepaths. I guarentee nobody in that bullpen has a problem with Neal Cotts.

At the start of this season, in my opinion, I felt we only had one reliable guy in the bull pen (Marte)

Shingo was an X factor, and in my mind he still is an X factor because I am not sure how he will do once he gets to face hitters who have played him at least 2 to 3 times around....

True to form, other than Shingo being awesome nothing is different from what was expected.

I expectd Mike Jackson, Politte, Cotts, Adkins to be at >4.00 ERA and they are all there

I expected Botch to be sent to the minors by now, and he is gawn....

I really think we have to get one stud and one solid reliever to truly contend

Wunsch is done with the Sox.  He is no longer on their 40-man roster and is also on the disabled list.

Sox are just finding out just how valuable Wunsch was last year.

Cotts is absolutely brutal right now. When he misses the SZ, he misses by a foot. When he hits it, a hitter has this huge grin on his face mid-way through the ball's flight because he knows the fat part of his bat is about to connect.

Much is made of Lawton's HR, but the previous batters that inning - Blake, Belliard and Crisp - all got cookies and JUST got under them, sending towering fly balls to LF-LCF. As sharp as Neal was before the fateful Josh Phelps episode, he is everybit as BAD now.

At the start of this season, in my opinion, I felt we only had one reliable guy in the bull pen (Marte)

Shingo was an X factor, and in my mind he still is an X factor because I am not sure how he will do once he gets to face hitters who have played him at least 2 to 3 times around....

True to form, other than Shingo being awesome nothing is different from what was expected.

I expectd Mike Jackson, Politte, Cotts, Adkins to be at >4.00 ERA and they are all there

I expected Botch to be sent to the minors by now, and he is gawn....

I really think we have to get one stud and one solid reliever to truly contend

IIRC Adkins has an ERA in the 2.00's

at least last i knew of

IMO until Adkins proves that he sucks, he needs to be used more. The best righy out of the bullpen (at the current time) besides Shingo. Politte is better than Jackson, at least Cliff sometimes goes out and doesn't give up runs.

Jackson was nice at the beginning of the year, he is downright AWFUL now. Ozzie is put in a real pickle, leave his starters out there to get shelled, or go to the bullpen.

Cotts was actually ok today. Kudos, start getting that curve over and a change-up, cutter and before you know it, you'll work your way back into Key Reliever list.

I did notice that most of his curve balls were nothing but strikes. Cotts did a very good job against a good offensive lineup without having to give up any homeruns. But when Jackson came in.... everything changed.

Cotts was actually ok today. Kudos, start getting that curve over and a change-up, cutter and before you know it, you'll work your way back into Key Reliever list.

Only 3 of the 15 inherritted runners he's recieved this season have scored. He's saved 12 of those from crossing home. I'd say that he's a pretty "key" reliever already this season.

We've got no alternatives to Cotts in our farm system. Vic Darensbourg was called up but that is not a long term solution, and Dave Sanders has been awful for Charlotte. I guess they could call up Arnie Munoz to the pen, but that's highly unlikely, plus the kid needs starts in AAA. Cotts was fine before we gav im a shot at the 5th starters job, he hasn't been the same since.