Esteban Loaiza

sox-r-us

Clearly last year was the best he will ever pitch. I still like him but he has not been the same pitcher this year (league figured out his cutter? Or he has some small injury? Or he was just plain overachieving last year?)

His current stats are respectable:

GS 15

CG 2 (vs 1 last year.....so he is better here this year)

ERA 4.18 (vs 2.90 last year.....clearly a drop off until now)

BAA 0.260

WHIP 1.30

W-L 7-3 (vs 21-9 last year.....which is on the same track as last year)

HR 16 (vs 17 all of last year....which means he is on track for 3 X worse this year)

H 103 (vs 196 all of last year.....on track for being 275 for this year)

But he is a career 97-85, 4.55 ERA pitcher (for 9 years now)

How much do we pay him to retain him next year? Or do we go after a Matt Clement instead?

Thoughts?

I don’t know. You can only talk once the year is over. I am pretty sure Esteban will get us more than 14 wins. Probably not reach 21 again, but get 18. He’s walked away with allot of No Decisions. And if you really think about it (with Koch blowing one of his game and walking with a ND yesterday) he’d probably be 9-3 right now. It all depends on how he helps out his team. So far so good.

I believe his salary for this year is $4,000,000? What more can the Sox give him to stick around for next year?

In my opinion, I’d like to see him back.

It depends on what he is asking.

If he is asking for say, Carl Pavano money, I say we go after Pavano.

If he wants to be paid like Mulder, then we should go after him!

He has been valuable to the team this year and last and he at least seems to pitch well enough to keep us in games. Like somebody said, he should be at least 9-3 this year.

yeah but if we can let him go to get Clement I would rather see that happen

What makes you think Clement wants to leave the Cubs? I see him sticking around for some time if they make it to the playoffs this year.

Prior may be the only one trying free agency or something, but Wood, Clement and Zambrano are staying with the Cubs. I don’t know about Maddux wanting to stay since he’s been with allot of different teams.

I'd rather have Diaz or Cotts starting instead of Shoe next year.

:puke :puke :puke

:angry: :angry: :angry:

:headshake :headshake :headshake

:banghead :banghead :banghead

:crying :crying :crying

:huh :huh :huh

Prior may be the only one trying free agency or something, but Wood, Clement and Zambrano are staying with the Cubs. I don’t know about Maddux wanting to stay since he’s been with allot of different teams.

He's been with 2 teams in 3 stints (Cubs, Braves, Cubs) IIRC

What makes you think Clement wants to leave the Cubs? I see him sticking around for some time if they make it to the playoffs this year.

The Cubs are going to pick up Ryan Dempster's $2M option and get him as the 5th starter next year....they will let Clement walk...they cannot afford him

THe Cubs already said that Celemnt was going to be the odd man out and that his return next year was not likely

Next time try to use the "Force" to save yourself from those kinda comments

The Cubs are going to pick up Ryan Dempster's $2M option and get him as the 5th starter next year....they will let Clement walk...they cannot afford him

Thank you sox r us... thats what I was sayin

He's been with 2 teams in 3 stints (Cubs, Braves, Cubs) IIRC

If what you're saying is true... I'll take that one sentence back :D

Still, Maddux should retire once he gets his 300th win and the season is over.

Whether or not anyone thinks Esteban can win 21 games in 2004 is not the issue we should be worried in my opinion. We can't seem to find a legit #5 person and the other pitchers are struggling too. E Loiaza is a quality arm no doubt and we should sign him for an extension.

Dream scenario would be:

Mulder, Loaiza, Buerhle, Pavano, Garland

2 lefties, 3 solid righties who can go deep and keep you in games, and finally 1 ace who you can put out there and expect to hold the team down regardless of what you do.

SB

jesus that'd be the greatest rotation in baseball! (close) I'd take that!!

seriously tho i think the sox should go after Pavano at the least. Mulder... eh i'd take him too :lol:

Here is the article from the Trib which mentions the Cubs may let Clement walk...they may be wrong, but it makes sense

-------------------

The two main players who could depart are Matt Clement and Moises Alou. The Cubs are unlikely to pick up the $11.5 million option on Alou, despite his strong showing in '04, taking the $2 million buyout instead. They still could re-sign Alou if he agrees to a major salary cut. Clement stands to receive a sizeable multi-year offer from another team. He may have to take less to stay, however, because the Cubs are likely to pick up Ryan Dempster's $2 million option and the other four starters already are set to return.

------------------------------

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

jesus that'd be the greatest rotation in baseball!  (close)  I'd take that!!

seriously tho i think the sox should go after Pavano at the least.  Mulder... eh i'd take him too :lol:

That would be pretty damn sweet, but the best i can see us getting is pavano and i don't even see us getting him.