A realistic view of where we may be

aboz56

Don't call this a knee-jerk reaction to this game, this is a realistic view of what may be to come for the Sox.

Our next four series after this are At Minny, At Cubs, then Anaheim and Oakland at home as we head into the all-star break. To me, without Maggs and our staff faltering like it is, this is a huge recipe to turn this club into sellers rather than buyers by the all-star break. With Minnesota feasting on the Brewers this weekend and our debacle to come tomorrow with Diaz facing the Cubs, we could leave this weekend 5 games out of first place. Then we play a 3 game set in Minny.

This season has the perfect recipe to get very ugly very quick very soon.

The way I look at it, unless something drastically changes, we will be 8-10 games out of the race by the all-star break and could be looking to sell some of our pieces rather than acquire. While most of you won't like to admit this, much like KW, be prepared for it to be a realistic possibility soon.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is there to dump?

Konerko?

Valentin?

No pitchers anybody would want.

Maggs?

Injured and in his walk year.

Maggs and Loaiza.

And if anyone wants Valentin, they could deal him off as well.

If we aren't going to win the division, call up Borchard and Reed and get ready for next season.

who is there to dump?

Konerko?

Valentin?

No pitchers anybody would want.

Maggs?

Injured and in his walk year.

All three of them should get the Sox something decent in return. Konerko has been playing well, Maggs is Maggs, and Jose is a solid shortstop that I know the Angels would be interested in.

You may be right, if at the Break the Sox are way out of it, I'd sell. Of course, on the other side, with that scheudle coming up, now is the time to make the trade otherwise, if you wait it may be too late.

Maggs and Loaiza.

And if anyone wants Valentin, they could deal him off as well.

If we aren't going to win the division, call up Borchard and Reed and get ready for next season.

Our rotation as of now for next season scares me to death.

Our rotation as of now for next season scares me to death.

They'll sign a SP to place in the 2 or 3 hole and it will look somewhat like this:

1) Buehrle

2) FA Signing

3) Garland

4 & 5: Cotts, Schoeneweis, Rauch, Diaz, Honel, etc.

Definitely won't be good enough to beat Cleveland as they will have

1) Sabathia

2) Lee

3) Westbrook

4) Sowers

5) Will it really matter?

They'll sign a SP to place in the 2 or 3 hole and it will look somewhat like this:

1) Buehrle

2) FA Signing

3) Garland

4 & 5: Cotts, Schoeneweis, Rauch, Diaz, Honel, etc.

Definitely won't be good enough to beat Cleveland as they will have

1) Sabathia

2) Lee

3) Westbrook

4) Sowers

5) Will it really matter?

What is Schoeneweis' contract? Years?

IMHO, Westbrook is just going to be awesome.

/Bookmarks thread for future reference.

Go ahead and bookmark it.

They just took 2 of 3 in Boston.

They've won the division the past two seasons and we're a game from the WS in 2002.

And once they acquire an arm near the deadline, they'll improve...

And did I mention that Koskie, Jones, Hunter and Mientkiewicz have all been hurt at times this year.

This will be the 4th season with our current "core group" of players (Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, Valentin, Konerko) leading the way and they don't seem to be going anywhere. I think I've just grown tired of waiting for things to get better and they're obviously not.

God Kw is in a tough position. Either he says f*** it and trys to get as much as possible for Maggs, and trys to unload Paul, mabye Estey to, or does he give away some of the farm, and try to make this team better for this year?

I really dont know what to think, but the way this team is playing, I think it needs more than just 1 or 2 pieces.

Unfortunately, this is the "Perfect Storm" I've been afraid of all season. The Cubs will sweep the Sox this weekend, they lose their #4 pitcher and are down to 3 major league starters, Minnesota is healthy and showing that they continue to be the class of this division hands down and Cleveland just showed this week that they are at least as good as the Sox - if not better.

I see no way for the Sox to win this division as they are currently constituted. The problem is that I don't trust KW to reshape the Sox for next year correctly. There is simply no way to overlook the Ritchie and Koch debacles. Those two moves were so bad that KW needs to be the first to be fired.

Ordonez should be traded ASAP for pitching. Bring up Borchard now and let him get half a season before next year. Konerko, Valentin and (if anyone will take him) Thomas should also be moved.

Ordonez should be traded ASAP for pitching.  Bring up Borchard now and let him get half a season before next year.  Konerko, Valentin and (if anyone will take him) Thomas should also be moved.

Congratulations, you've just won the award for biggest reactionary one the board...

Frank Thomas has been one of the best players in baseball over the last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/ba...pa=200&ageMin=0

Plus he's not making much. ($6 MIL) -- And that's only slated to increase by 2 or 4 MIL next season....

Quite possibly that was the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this site.

And Minnesota is better than us.  Much better.

:lol:

Their offense is weak, and their rotation is decent(Radke, Santana, and Silva are all solid, but Lohse sucks, and Guerrier and Greisinger have been not-so-good)...they've been relying on their bullpen the entire year(which is not a bad thing at all). They really cannot make just one or two moves and improve their team a ton...they are just not in that position. They can improve their team through trades(a good start for them would be by trading Jones for some pitching...with the emergence of Lew Ford, Jones is very expendable for the Twins).

However, we are in the position where 1 starter and 1-2 good relievers pushes us over the top. Our offense is arguably the best in the league(atleast top 3), and the rotation, while it has been bad recently, has been solid overall. The bullpen has been the biggest problem for us, and there are all kinds of solid relievers available around the deadline and even through the waiver wire in August.

The Twins are probably a better team right now, but there is not much they can do to improve their team a whole hell of a lot. They just have to wait until Shannon Stewart gets back. Meanwhile, there is a ton we can do to improve our team, be it by getting some more starting pitching, by getting some more relievers, or by getting a big time LH bat for the middle of our lineup.

Congratulations, you've just won the award for biggest reactionary one the board...

Frank Thomas has been one of the best players in  baseball over the last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...&hand=a&pos=all

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/stats/ba...pa=200&ageMin=0

Plus he's not making much. ($6 MIL) -- And that's only slated to increase by 2 or 4 MIL next season....

Quite possibly that was the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on this site.

Yeah, but we can't really expect people to follow baseball, come on now. :headshake

And Minnesota is better than us.  Much better.

No they're not.

Cubs are a much better team than us, but Twins? You have got to be s***ting me here.

Unfortunately, Sox have a worthless liar for an owner, so we had to endure months of Koch, Jackson and 5th Starter, that's A LOT of damage done to this team right there that could have been easily avoided, with Sox firmly embedded in first place by 10+ games. Easily.

Jackson is done with this organization. So is Koch. #3 Russ Ortiz is coming, AL hitter don't know him yet, so he should be very effective at first. Diaz will be fine as a #5. Garland threw brilliant first 4+ innings against the Cubs and 6+ innings against the Expos, he is gonna figure it out one of these days and become a good #4.

Maggs comes back, this offense is gonna roll people over - mid-June-mid-September are the two months when this already-intimidating offense does most of its damage.

Shingo, Marte are fine. RHP in the Urbina mold should be acquired closer to the deadline.

Now we're just gonna have to bear down and win 3 of the next 5 games against the Cubs (2 against Maddux, 1 Zambrano, 1 Clement, 1 Rusch) and we'll be fine.

Let the Twins build a 3-4 game lead. They are not going anywhere.