What's the answer then?

mreye

Ok, everyone convinced me. There have been a ton of fights at Hawk games. A ton of fights at Bears games. Brewer games are crazy with fights. People get shot at Wrigley. College games are fight filled. The Cell is just like every where else and I'm an asshole for expecting Sox fans to be better. Personal safety and abusive language is not something that should keep families away.

No problem. I just have to learn to be more tolerant.

But we are better.

You cant expect everybody going to Sox games to be Mr & Mrs Flanders and their kids. Fact is that at about half your crowd at any sporting event is gonna be young men and when they start drinking they sometimes act stupid. I think it's good that we dont have the violence problems as bad as other venues but it really sucks that we're the only ones who get that much publicity.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, everyone convinced me. There have been a ton of fights at Hawk games. A ton of fights at Bears games. Brewer games are crazy with fights. People get shot at Wrigley. College games are fight filled. The Cell is just like every where else and I'm an asshole for expecting Sox fans to be better. Personal safety and abusive language is not something that should keep families away.

My God Tex...

You are talking to an audience of 100 or so people here. What exactly do you want us to do? I sit in a section that this crap doesn't happen.. maybe I should just walk up to security and say.. "hmm.. maybe go check over there, there might be somthing bad going on..?"

Send your rant to the papers as preaching here about this is like telling us to go out to the games... something we already do.

I'm with Tex on this. That;s why I said in the original post that I know it happens at other parks, but can WE do to stop it at OUR PARK? I've read some good suggestions. I like this one best as well:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 30 2004, 10:22 AM)

The answer? How about the fans at the Cell being proactive and self policing. When you become aware of someone being a little too rowdy and a little too inebriated, report it to security. If it continues, report it again. Encourage fans in the area to back you up by doing the same thing. If the offending party targets you personally, don't "accept the challenge". Just shut up, walk away and get security.

here comes the point....here it comes......closer.....

WHOOPS....you missed it.

I don't think ANYONE is saying that anyone has to accept it.

MY opinion is that you have to be smart about it. Confronting drunks is NOT smart. Contacting security discreetly is. Avoiding them when possible is.

It DOES happen everywhere, and "alcohol is bad, mmmmkay?".

It's simply a REALLY stupid thing to do, confronting two neanderthals with the whole "watch your mouth, I'm a cop" routine.

I just can't believe they weren't tossed for epithetting the usher and mouthing off to security. IF that's true, right there is where the security screwed up.

Oh, it was the 2000 game? Then you deserve everything you had coming to you

Just kidding...BUT IT WAS A FUMBLE.

no, it was not :headbang

that's why they call you Ill-whine-is. :lol:

hell, seriously, we lost to Illinois in 1999 under really bizarre circumstances and it was really tough - you have those through the years, you play enough - fumble or not, Illinois was dead tired and Michigan was operating at peak performance so the game ended properly, just as the year before it also ended properly with us losing to Illinois because they were making the 4th quarter plays and we didn't. In fact, I was so mad at the way the 99 game ended (because we played so badly when Illinois suddenly got hot) I wanted that game back, which is why I went to the 2000 game.

Since I believe in the cheer my team but no taunt rule, I walked with my Illini friends/hosts (student and his father) through campus post game and what was there to taunt about? I know exactly how they felt - the year before it was me and my UM friends being stunned by 4th quarter miracle heroics feeling that empty at game end - one year the ball bounces your way, the next year someone else's way - nothing to fight about

we got back to the student's apartment and proceeded to set up our plan for ordering Sox playoff tickets - those cable connestions at Illinois were new and smoking hot and between them and the cell phone when not that many people yet had cell phones we managed to snag all kinds of 2nd round tickets when they went on sale the next morning

and later that day we (you and I and the Sox we) clinched the title -

I dunno, maybe.

The best example I can give is to look at college football.  The teams that are in general the most winningest seem to tend to have the classiest fans.

I was in the band at the ND vs Oregon St. Fiesta Bowl in 2000.  There was a huge difference between the fans.  The ND fans were down there to have a good time and to see a great game.  The OSU fans had a lot of dirty signs at the stadium (like "f*** the Irish" or "Welcome the gay Irish brothers, Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick, etc, etc."  It was just such a huge difference between the style and class of those two groups of fans and obviously I would consider the OSU fans to be much more negative.  The only thing I can think of is that their fanbase had never really seen a winner and didn't know how to handle success or to show class.

Maybe if you remove that desperation for a WS win, winning isn't everything anymore?

With the Red Sox, I think a lot of people that attend games at Fenway tend to be more white collar: Lawyers, Software guys, etc and also fans of the game itself, rather than necessarily just the Red Sox.

im an oregon state alum...and oregon state is very similiar to the white sox...university of oregon is only 45 minutes away so there is no real geographical difference seperating the two teams fans...oregon state is a much smaller school than U of O and the fan base is probably the same ratio as cub fans to sox fans...we are outnumbered big time...even in towns bordering corvallis you'll find more duck fans than beavers...

oregon state also holds the record for consecutive losing season...30 years in a row until dennis erickson showed up...and we only got him as a coach because he was planning on retiring in the corvallis area and this was suppose to be his last job...oregon state paid its last coach before erickson, jerry pettibone , 100k a year..compare that to big names of the pac 10 making 3 and 4 million a year...we suffer through alot of 1-10 seasons...year in and year out we just cant compete in the pac-10...s

btw..classless fans arnt limited to teams with losing programs who all of a sudden find themselves winning...so cal won the pac -10 championship in 96 (i think it was) at OSU and their fans were down right ignorant..constantly making jokes about all the dumb hicks they had to put up with coming up to corvallis...and washington husky fans..omg..i could right a book on those guys...

I'm with Tex on this. That;s why I said in the original post that I know it happens at other parks, but can WE do to stop it at OUR PARK?

I refuse to believe that the posters HERE are ignoring this issue, which is why I think Tex's insistance that we are making light of it, or ignoring it, is complete bulls***.

What more do you want ME to do..? Walk around the park, miss watching the game, to report the bad people? :huh

oregon state

yo baggio! about time you showed up again! you have been missed! PM me, email me, let me know how I can reach you and tell me what's going on with you my friend!

Fans of U of Washington who go to many away games assure me that that think Michigan was the best treatment they ever got and far away the worst school for bad behavior is Oregon. :headbang

I'm going. And sitting right behind the Cubs dugout. I will be wearing ALL the Sox crap I can fit on.. and I will be screaming "pee pee hands". Yea.. I'll probably get my ass kicked, but I'll deserve it.  :lol:

Just make sure you call Kotex-Boy and tell him how horrible and violent it is at Wrigley and how you are afraid to ever go there again...

I refuse to believe that the posters HERE are ignoring this issue, which is why I think Tex's insistance that we are making light of it, or ignoring it, is complete bulls***.

What more do you want ME to do..? Walk around the park, miss watching the game, to report the bad people?  :huh

NO, I'm with Tex complaining about a lot of people just bringing up situations at other parks.

It's simply a REALLY stupid thing to do, confronting two neanderthals with the whole "watch your mouth, I'm a cop" routine.

I still can't get over the fact that this huge cop guy got beat up by two uncoordinated drunks in front of his family.

Where did the training go?

If you go back and read the first pages of posts, you'll see that he was way off on his conclusions about Chicago Stadium, Soldier Field, etc.

All JimH and I were doing was correcting him.

That part is over, Jim H has brought up many points, get over it already.

I'm with Tex on this. That;s why I said in the original post that I know it happens at other parks, but can WE do to stop it at OUR PARK? I've read some good suggestions. I like this one best as well:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jun 30 2004, 10:22 AM)

OK, I already do what Yasny suggests, and have been doing it for years.

It's apparant the problems still exist.

The only thing specific that can be done re: this suggestion is to have a grass roots campaign, i.e. multiple public service anouncements, that fans should report bad behavior to security, don't try to handle it yourself.

They already do that, but yes, they could probably do more. Gene Honda could make an announcement in the 5th inning over the PA to emphasize the point, i.e.

"Attention all White Sox fans. In the interest in having a safe, enjoyable game experience for everyone, we ask your help. The White Sox will not tolerate any instances of (list examples). If you notice any behavior of this nature, please discuss it with security personnel, wearing green shirts or jackets. Thank you from the Chicago White Sox."

There is a fine line to balance here. If they make security too much of a public issue, some will feel it is perpetuating the "U.S. Cell is unsafe" belief. Others will feel it's good, and appropriate. Personally, I don't see the harm, and do see tha value, of reinforcing the security issues during the game vs. just before the game.

yo baggio!  about time you showed up again!  you have been missed!  PM me, email me, let me know how I can reach you and tell me what's going on with you my friend!

Fans of U of Washington who go to many away games assure me that that think Michigan was the best treatment they ever got and far away the worst school for bad behavior is Oregon.  :headbang

hey cw...thanks for the wb..im doing good..

doesnt surprise that washington fans would pick oregon as having the worst fans...washington and oregon just hate each other...something wierd about seattle...people there in general have a very depressing attitude towards life...when visiting ive found them to be very unfriendly...even in resturants where you have people whose income depends on being nice to earn tips have this depressing personality...i saw a stat in newsweek (i think it was) a few months ago and it listed seattle as the number one city for suicide...that didnt surprise me at all...would have been my first guess...guess its all the rain??

the band nirvanna , and that whole grunge attitude that originated in seattle , are perfect examples of the attitude of that city in general

What more do you want ME to do..? Walk around the park, miss watching the game, to report the bad people?  :huh

No we aren't making light of it or ignoring it, we had well over 50 posts crying about Mariotti's coverage. We're doing something.

Forgive me if someone has already said any of this, but I didn't feel like reading through 7 pages of this. Just wanted to post my opinion because I am pissed off.

U.S. Cellular is not any worse than any other park. I have been to numerous games at numerous parks in numerous sports and never run into a problem. It's all a matter of chance. Anytime you combine fiercely loyal sports fans with alcohol, especially when their team is losing, problems will arise. The Sox problems just seem to be more well publicized. I read about occurences in sports religiously, and I rarely see reports about occurences at other places, but they happen pretty regularly. Several people have been shot in the general vicinity of Wrigley Field in the past few months, but you don't hear this big stink. I've heard stories from friends who were involved in numerous fights in Wrigleyville, but none of them make the papers. I have a few friends that refuse to go to Wrigley, despite the fact that they are diehard Cub fans, because of incidents they were involved in. It seems like ever since those two retards charged the field against the Royals, everything that happens at U.S. Cellular is a big story. Come on, fans spilling beer on Rocco Baldelli made Sports Center. That happens on a daily basis at Wrigley!

You're always going to find people that claim they go to a park regularly and never have any problems, and you're always going to have people afraid to go somewhere. Basically, just go to the game, try not to be a druken ass to the people around you, and you should be fine.