From the man's mouth himself

aboz56

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...s_mlb&fext=.jsp

CHICAGO -- The periodic contractual updates that Magglio Ordonez and general manager Ken Williams have tried so hard to avoid during the 2004 season might have finally come to an end Tuesday.

Appearing with the team for the first time in more than one week, the All-Star right fielder informed the media that his side had broken off talks with the White Sox on the same day right-handed pitcher Freddy Garcia signed a three-year, $27 million extension. Ordonez said the possibility existed that talks would be done until after this year was complete.

"That's possible, yeah," Ordonez said of the contract talks coming to a prolonged halt. "I just want to get healthy, get back to playing and help this team to win. The fans have been waiting for me to play, and my teammates, too. That's all I care about.

"But I don't think we're close. So, we've stopped talking."

Ordonez mentioned that the White Sox came up in their offer during the latest round of talks, but still were short on the numbers for a long-term deal. Ordonez is making $14 million in the last year of his current contract, and is believed to be interested in a five-year, $70 million deal.

If the problem is with the money, as Ordonez indicated, then it probably centers around the amount of deferred dollars he's willing to accept. Williams indicated over the weekend that an offer was on the table for Ordonez, in the general range that he was looking for.

Williams also spoke to Ordonez on Tuesday regarding the Garcia signing. The conversation took place after Garcia had inked the deal but prior to the media arriving at U.S. Cellular Field.

"I wanted him to know from my voice and directly to him that this was not going to have an effect on whether we still wanted him or whether we could fit him into the equation this year moving forward," Williams said. "He heard that directly from me, and we will see where that goes. I don't know where we are with that at this point."

The signing of Garcia makes the White Sox better both in the short term and long term, something that would enhance Ordonez's interest in returning. But with $27 million invested in the right-hander, the question remains whether there's enough to go around for the right fielder and other important free agents such as pitcher Esteban Loaiza and shortstop Jose Valentin.

"It's hard to say," Ordonez said. "They signed Garcia, and hopefully, we can get something done. That's all I can say."

In the immediate future, Ordonez's focus is on being healthy enough to start an injury rehab assignment as early as Thursday. If he makes that trip, Ordonez could rejoin the team next Thursday in Oakland for a four-game series after the All-Star break.

Ordonez still isn't running, so talk of the trip to the minors is a bit premature until he can see if the pain is gone in his surgically repaired left knee. Ordonez was making great progress until scar tissue from the arthroscopic surgery slowed him down and put a halt to his running.

The absence of a .300 hitter, with 30-homer and 120-RBI potential, has been felt by the White Sox. They are 16-18 in his absence and have a .157 average over their last four games.

With Ordonez stopping the contract talks, life without the hard-hitting outfielder is something the White Sox might need to adjust to on a permanent bases in the future. It could even mean a trade once a healthy Ordonez returns.

"A business is a business, so anything can happen," Ordonez said. "If they trade me, I won't have any hard feelings.

"I'm really happy where I am now. I get along really well with all my teammates, and my coaches. Like Kenny said, the door is open so we can talk anytime if we both change our minds. We'll see what happens."

As the great Michael Kay would say when a HR is hit, SEE YA.

As the great Michael Kay would say when a HR is hit, SEE YA.

Agreed. I'm just starting to get tired of it. I thought he said he was waiting until the offseason like months ago, and yet we heard stuff about contract talks a million times up to this point in the season. Mags is good, but not 5 year $70M good. Hasta luego Magglio.

Agreed.  I'm just starting to get tired of it.  I thought he said he was waiting until the offseason like months ago, and yet we heard stuff about contract talks a million times up to this point in the season.  Mags is good, but not 5 year $70M good.  Hasta luego Magglio.

And it has also been public far too much, with Maggs being a large contributor in it going public.

If a good trade offer comes about, go ahead and deal him.

Another thing that kinda irks me is that on the day we sign Garcia, he makes these comments. And I'm sure he was asked about it, but hell, just keep your mouth shut and let this be Garcia's day in the sun.

You's have to be nuts to trade him right now, especially while he is still hurt. You're not going to get anywhere near value for him. They need his bat back in the lineup, especially in the playoffs. Unless you get a really good starter(Ortiz does not qualify) you keep him here and try to resume talks in the offseason. Then if he goes, you get some picks and have $14 mil to spend on getting a pitcher. I'd rather do that than get stuck with someone's massive contract(ie Jones).

Here's the thing, its Maggs that keeps making it public.

not only that but russ ortiz threw a gem tonite. his value keeps going up and maggs trade value goes down when he says he won't sign here. if atlanta thinks kw wants to deal maggs they can play hardball.

if kw can get a. jones and ortiz for maggs and minor leaguers to free atlanta of jones's salary i say do it.

not only that but russ ortiz threw a gem tonite. his value keeps going up and maggs trade value goes down when he says he won't sign here.  if atlanta thinks kw wants to deal maggs they can play hardball.

if kw can get a. jones and ortiz for maggs and minor leaguers to free atlanta of jones's salary i say do it.

I'm not totally sure I'd want to eat all of the Andruw Jones contract.

It's not very feasible for our budget.

2005: $12.5M

2006: $13.0M

2007: $13.5M

Another thing that kinda irks me is that on the day we sign Garcia, he makes these comments.  And I'm sure he was asked about it, but hell, just keep your mouth shut and let this be Garcia's day in the sun.

That's not fair........ this was the first day he had been back with the team. A reporter sees him for the first time in a week and asks him a question. He answers. Seems pretty simple to me.

That's not fair........  this was the first day he had been back with the team.  A reporter sees him for the first time in a week and asks him a question.  He answers.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Like I said, he could've answered that he was happy for Garcia on this day and didn't want to talk about his contract, but he didn't

I say deal him and acquire Ortiz and Jones. I think its quite possible it would happen, although the Braves have been winning. Either way I still think the Sox could use a few pieces.

Maybe get a prospect or something in the Ortiz/Jones deal as well as cash for Jones contract and then make a push at Everday Eddie.

I'm not totally sure I'd want to eat all of the Andruw Jones contract.

It's not very feasible for our budget.

2005: $12.5M

2006: $13.0M

2007: $13.5M

it's a lot but the more money atlanta eats the better prospects atlanta gets, it's not my money so i'd rather keep the top prospects. :D

maybe it's just wishful thinking but andruw is young enough that i think he could really turn around his career with a change of scenery. not that he is terrible now but i think he could put up numbers to make him worth that money here. if maggs is gone which seems pretty damn likely i don't know if you let him walk for a draft pick.

I say deal him and acquire Ortiz and Jones.  I think its quite possible it would happen, although the Braves have been winning.  Either way I still think the Sox could use a few pieces.

Maybe get a prospect or something in the Ortiz/Jones deal as well as cash for Jones contract and then make a push at Everday Eddie.

It will take a lot more from the Sox to get Ortiz and Jones than just Maggs..... more like Maggs, Rauch and another player.

To me, this one quote says it all.....he does not consider himself part of us folks....hasta la vista

"It's hard to say," Ordonez said. "They signed Garcia, and hopefully, we can get something done. That's all I can say."

I think you're reading too much into that. "They" is the front office - that's who signed Garcia, not the players.

I doubt it will take anymore than Maggs to get Ortiz and Jones. Ortiz is a free agent at the end of the year, and Jones has a terrible contract. They would probably even give us some cash to offset Jones' salary. The only reason they want to make this deal is so they can spin Ordonez off to someone else for real prospects, which they can't get for Jones, while lowering their payroll. However, they would only do this if they fall off. Why would a team making a run trade their best starter who has been on fire recently? I hate this deal anyways. Ortiz would get rocked playing in the AL in our park, and Jones has a brutal contract that would stop us from potentially signing another pitcher in the offseason. I'd much rather hang on to him, keep him for the playoff run, and try to sign him in the offseason. If he goes, you get some picks and suddenly have a lot of money to work with that would be gone if we got Jones.

We don't have the cash? How are we paying him $14 mil this year then? How did we just sign a pitcher for $27 mil over the next 3 years? I agree that his demands are a little otrageous, but our payroll falls to about $55 million without him. We can do better than that.

We don't have the cash? How are we paying him $14 mil this year then? How did we just sign a pitcher for $27 mil over the next 3 years? I agree that his demands are a little otrageous, but our payroll falls to about $55 million without him. We can do better than that.

I think some of that money was slotted for Maggs that went to Garcia. I think in general the Sox are going to prepare for life without Maggs and if getting a pretty marketable player in Andruw Jones and a frontline pitcher in Russ ORtiz is the wya to do it, then fine by me.

Then the Sox will have Garcia and Jones next year while earlier this year it looked like they would be losing Maggs. Ortiz probably wouldn't be back, but he'll be a great addition to the club and will result in two draft picks if he doesn't resign.

If the Sox are willing to add some more payroll, then I think Jones/Ortiz/Everday Eddie would be a nice trio of players to acquire.

this is so typical of our front office...when they decide they want to trade a popular player they have a great way of getting under the guy's skin so he says something in the press that turns the fans against him..then when they trade him the fans arnt all that upset..

ozzie b****ing IN THE PAPERS that he is pissed at maggs because supposedly the coaches were working with maggs..throwing BP and stuff while he was here trying to get him ready and now ozzie makes it sound like maggs is blowing them all off while he was in miami working on a visa problem (if that even happened)...

so maggs comes back..probably teed off at ozzie and management because he is being ripped in the press by his manager (subtlely of course)and isnt here to defend himself and then some reporter asks him about his contract talks and stuff comes out that shouldnt and all hell breaks loose...fans are already saying well im now getting tired of maggs ..when that happens the KW feels alot better about trading our superstar...

i dont want to see maggs go but understand if we make that deal thats being talked about to atlanta...but i hate how management feels they have to slight a guy before they trade him...its not the stand up thing to do imo...