White Sox History

JoshPR

When it all seemed the Sox would be heading into post season play again, The Players strike stopped the season and eventually canceled the rest of the season, and the Sox finished first 69-44 in the new American League Central. Frank Thomas once again was the big start hitting .353 smashing 38 homers and driving in 101 runs in only 399 at bats. Being named the American league MVP for the second straight season. Designated Hitter Julio Franco (.319) also had a superb season hitting 28 homers and driving in 98 runs, 3rd baseman Robin Ventura had a another good season hitting .282 and Center Fielder Lance Johnson (.277) again led the league in triples with 14. Rightfielder Darrin Jackson came back from cancer to hit .312 and Ozzie Guillen hit .288. Lefthander Wilson Alvarez (12-8) and right Jason Bere (12-2) led the team with 12 wins while Righthander Alex Fernandez added 11 wins. Righthander Jack McDowell slumped a bit and ended up 10-9 but tied with Bere for the team lead in strikeouts with 127. Roberto Hernandez had 14 saves but a high ERA of 4.94.

Who else thinks we had a serious shot of winning the world series that year.

Well I dont know cause Cleveland was comming strong and there was still 52 games left. Mcdowell didnt pitch that well that season either did Roberto Hernandez

Well I dont know cause Cleveland was comming strong and there was still 52 games left. Mcdowell didnt pitch that well that season either did Roberto Hernandez

Screw Cleveland. Of course, the Sox were meant to win it all that year. Why else do you think that was the only World Series cancelled in history?

Agrees but i think there was an awfully good shot, imho.

Who else thinks we had a serious shot of winning the world series that year.

Everyone

The thing that sucked so much about 94 being cancelled was that there were so many potential records that could have been broken. IIRC, Gwynn was hitting like .380 or .390, several players have 35+ homers(off the top of my head, Belle, Thomas, Griffey, Bagwell, and Williams), Chuck Knoblauch was on pace to break the doubles record, the Braves were going to lose the NL East, and the AL West was most likely going to have a first place team under .500(I think the Rangers were leading and they were like 5-10 games under).

What could have been. Oh well, what are you going to do? :huh

wasn't that the first year of the wild card as well??? I think even if Cleveland caught the Sox, they still would have gotten the wild card. Also the Royals were having a great season as well. And the Yankees. That AL West division sucked.

they definitely had the team in 94. I was out of baseball til 97 because of what all went down. I don't want to think about it.... :angry:

The Sox were in a losing streak going up to the strike if I recall correctly.

They were only one game up on Cleveland when the strike hit.

I don't know if they would have gone "all the way" or not that year.

The Sox had won 4 of 5 leading up too the strike and were 32-15 in their previous 47 games.