Loaiza's Line Today

Cali

Looking more and more like he'll be the number 5

Just like I've been saying since about January ;)

JM will always need something to tinker with. Since 2003 should have no closer by committee, look for JM to constantly tinker with the number 5 starter, CF, and 2B.

4 ip 2 h 0r 0er 0bb 3k

Looking more and more like he'll be the number 5

Well, he's definately pitching like he wants it....Heredia is also keeping himself in the running....geesh....its nice to have this depth, isn't it? ...especially given Wright's situation....

Given that KW and JR are planning to start MB and Colon something like 25 times in the first 56 games (those numbers may be off a numeral or two) because of the way the schedule falls, our #5 isn't going to get that much regular work anyway...

so it makes all the sense in the world for Rauch to start out in AAA and pitch regularly and have Loaiza be the 5th starter come opening day

Given that KW and JR are planning to start MB and Colon something like 25 times in the first 56 games (those numbers may be off a numeral or two) because of the way the schedule falls, our #5 isn't going to get that much regular work anyway...

so it makes all the sense in the world for Rauch to start out in AAA and pitch regularly and have Loaiza be the 5th starter come opening day

Exactly....and Garland and Wright/#4 starter will probably be pitching about 20-25 of those games.

Exactly....and Garland and Wright/#4 starter will probably be pitching about 20-25 of those games.

If Wright doesnt get that injury under control, and keeps pitching the way he is right now, he wont make it. In that case, I would go with Buerhle, Colon, Garland, Rauch, Loaiza. Loaiza should be fifth because he's a veteran, and should be able to handle not pitching every 5th day, while a rookie like Rauch just needs to get on his rhythm and pitch regularly.

I posted this a week ago but since this issue seems to be bubbling to the surface again I'll go again. Loaiza is an adequate #5, he was #1 in Toronto at one point. I seem to think that Rauch is pretty close to as good right now(an opinion that was popular last week and not as much now but whatever) he'll get his chance one day. This notion of Rogers I do not get though.

The Kenny Rogers who did this?

Year Team League GP GS W L SV CG Sho IP H R ER HR BB K ERA

2001 Texas AL 20 20 5 7 0 0 0 120.2 150 88 83 18 49 74 6.19

Hmmmm.. I'll pass thanks

Here's ritchie last year.

Year Team League GP GS W L SV CG Sho IP H R ER HR BB K ERA

2002 Chicago AL 26 23 5 15 0 0 0 133.2 176 104 90 18 52 77 6.06

Looks eerily similar, and not many defend Ritchies performance so why so many to defend Rogers(granted not after he stiffed us) but why would we even want to offer?

I don't care if he's left handed or ambidextrous f*** him. Finley is 40yrs old and had an ERA higher than Loaiza in 2001, there are no more relevant free agents, unless somebody is better than Josh Paul out there.

Matthew.

I agree with the idea of having Rauch our number 5, but if the Sox open the season using the #1-4 with the 5 pitching sporadically then I believe a veteran is better suited to handle the longer periods of rest, etc. Plus, Rauch can get regular action in the minors getting his stamina, etc up so he is ready once we go to the 5 full time. Plus, with Wright a ???(Injury) we don't know what will happen.

I don't mind Loaiza so it's no bother to me, but it is a bit strange to give him a job after 4 innings of work. My big point is that even without Wright, I am just as comfortable with 2 of the 4 pitchers we could use as #4 an #5, than I am looking at free agency because Rogers and Finley aren't that good.

and I am glad your agreement with me was posted twice! :lol: