Pavano and Benitez on the Market?

RibbieRubarb

I'm assuming they will want a major league ready bat.

Or another starter if you could believe that, Hideo's Nomo's been hideous for them all season long, but they'll get Perez back off the DL as well. Sweeney's probably their option for a 1B with Delgado refusing to waive his no trade rights, with KC moving Mota to a contender for some good prospects.

LA reportedly wants another SP for Mota.

Pavano would be nice. I wonder if the Ozzie connection would bear any fruit. He has to have some insight into the ex Marlin players. If FLA falls out of contention anything is possible.

Yet I still think another top of the order guy is needed. Kendall in my dreams. Catalanotto in reality.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. I guess I stand corrected. If we can find a way to get him, that would be a slam dunk. They aren't going to give him away though, I'm sure they're going to make some ridiculous demands like Lee or Rowand and prospects. Pavano isn't that young, he's 28. I'd still love to have him. I'd give up all of the Charlotte roster, and most of the Barons if we could get both of those guys.

Of Course, But you said he wasn't going anywhere ;)

True, but the bullpen needs someone to intimadate a lil. then you bring shingo and the frisbee and the other teams timing goes straight to hell  :lol:

I read that Mota could be had from L.A. Don't remember where tho  ;)

A's tried to get Mota before acquiring Dotel.

Why does everyone still think Kendall is being shopped or we're even looking at him?

They tried to trade him all last year. They almost made it mandatory for anyone who took Giles to take Kendall, but no one would bite. There was a ton of talk about him still going to San Diego. What are you talking about? He has been shopped for awhile now. Its monetary reasons.

You're crazy, no way he would command that much.

Let's see, his ERA is under 2 for the second straight year, his batting average against is right around .220, and he is making less than $2 mil right now. I think they can ask for virtually anything they want. I'm sure if he becomes available someone like the Cardinals would give up whatever prospects they have. Maybe Lee would be a little much, but Rowand is possible. I'd strongly consider it depending on what other prospects we give up. I don't think I'd do it if they wanted us to add Anderson, but some lesser guys sounds good. I know it's hurt our lineup and we'd have to find a way to get by in center, but it would give us a monster bullpen. As I said, the Dodgers are in first right now, so I doubt he is going anywhere unless they freefall.

Let's see, his ERA is under 2 for the second straight year, his batting average against is right around .220, and he is making less than $2 mil right now. I think they can ask for virtually anything they want. Maybe Lee would be a little much, but Rowand is possible. I'd strongly consider it depending on what other prospects we give up. I don't think I'd do it if they wanted us to add Anderson, but some lesser guys sounds good. As I said, the Dodgers are in first right now, so I doubt he is going anywhere unless they freefall.

I'd give them Rowand.

Let's see, his ERA is under 2 for the second straight year, his batting average against is right around .220, and he is making less than $2 mil right now. I think they can ask for virtually anything they want. I'm sure if he becomes available someone like the Cardinals would give up whatever prospects they have. Maybe Lee would be a little much, but Rowand is possible. I'd strongly consider it depending on what other prospects we give up. I don't think I'd do it if they wanted us to add Anderson, but some lesser guys sounds good. I know it's hurt our lineup and we'd have to find a way to get by in center, but it would give us a monster bullpen. As I said, the Dodgers are in first right now, so I doubt he is going anywhere unless they freefall.

Well including Lee is a major part of the deal being ridiculous. I doubt the Cardinals would empty their farm system, or any other team. The guy is good, but including the Sox top outfielding prospect, our starting left fielder and CF, and a another pitching prospect for a relief pitcher is nothing short of being dumb. There is no way it would happen.

Well including Lee is a major part of the deal being ridiculous. I doubt the Cardinals would empty their farm system, or any other team. The guy is good, but including the Sox top outfielding prospect, our starting left fielder and CF, and a another pitching prospect for a relief pitcher is nothing short of being dumb. There is no way it would happen.

I agree. Maybe if it was Cabrera, Pavano, and a prospect or something.

I think you misunderstood everyone. Nowhere did anyone say Lee AND Rowand AND prospects. The comment was Lee OR Rowand and prospects. A lot of teams would give up a ton for a solid reliever. Look at Oakland. They gave up Teahan, their stud 3B prospect and Wood, a solid starting pitcher for Dotel, who is nowhere near as good as Mota right now. If he became available the Sox would get a break because the Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels don't really need him, and I believe the only stud prospect the A's have left is Blanton, who is probably untouchable(not 100% sure on the last two points). That would basically limit it to Texas(bigger problem at SP), the contenders in the NL east, and St. Louis or the Cubs. Rowand and Anderson would probably be in the right range, or Rowand and someone along Diaz and mid level guy. I highly doubt they would give him up with Borchard or Anderson as the centerpiece. Anyway, this is kind of moot right now because he is a key part of their team and they are currently in 1st place with a 2.5 game lead.

I think you misunderstood everyone. Nowhere did anyone say Lee AND Rowand AND prospects. The comment was Lee OR Rowand and prospects. A lot of teams would give up a ton for a solid reliever. Look at Oakland. They gave up Teahan, their stud 3B prospect and Wood, a solid starting pitcher for Dotel, who is nowhere near as good as Mota right now. If he became available the Sox would get a break because the Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels don't really need him, and I believe the only stud prospect the A's have left is Blanton, who is probably untouchable(not 100% sure on the last two points). That would basically limit it to Texas(bigger problem at SP), the contenders in the NL east, and St. Louis or the Cubs. Rowand and Anderson would probably be in the right range, or Rowand and someone along Diaz and mid level guy. I highly doubt they would give him up with Borchard or Anderson as the centerpiece. Anyway, this is kind of moot right now because he is a key part of their team and they are currently in 1st place with a 2.5 game lead.

Yeah, but with Chavez, Teahan had no where to go. Closer was their huge need. The Marlins are in first place? Actually, the Braves are.

Yeah, but with Chavez, Teahan had no where to go. Closer was their huge need. The Marlins are in first place? Actually, the Braves are.

I'm referring to the Mota reports, in fact I even said Mota in the last one. The Dodgers are in first. That what I was referring to for a while. I guess I should get back on topic. I don't want Benitez that bad, I think it would screw with our chemistry in the pen, that's why some people brought up Mota. Back to Pavano. They wouldn't really want Rowand because of Pierre. They'd probably love Lee, but that is too much for a guy who is a free agent at the end of the year. For Florida I'm not really sure what they would want. Rowand and Anderson are our best options for trades, but I believe Pierre is there for a while. I'm not really sure what else we would have to trade. I'm sure if he were to become available, just about every contender would jump all over it, and we'd get outbid rather easily.

Steve where does it say the Marlins are in first place? I think he is talking about the Dodgers.

I put the first place comment and the title of the thread together. Imagine that one. Who does that now-a-days? rolleyeyes.gif

The Dodgers have so many holes, I could not see Mota as being untouchable.

I'm referring to the Mota reports, in fact I even said Mota in the last one. The Dodgers are in first. That what I was referring to for a while. I guess I should get back on topic. I don't want Benitez that bad, I think it would screw with our chemistry in the pen, that's why some people brought up Mota. Back to Pavano. They wouldn't really want Rowand because of Pierre. They'd probably love Lee, but that is too much for a guy who is a free agent at the end of the year. For Florida I'm not really sure what they would want. Rowand and Anderson are our best options for trades, but I believe Pierre is there for a while. I'm not really sure what else we would have to trade. I'm sure if he were to become available, just about every contender would jump all over it, and we'd get outbid rather easily.

Honestly, we don't need the superstars, we need the gems.

I put the first place comment and the title of the thread together. Imagine that one. Who does that now-a-days?  rolleyeyes.gif

The Dodgers have so many holes, I could not see Mota as being untouchable.

I highly doubt they would deal him while they are in first place, especially not for anything less than a productive major league player. Their pen loses a TON of punch if he is traded. It's basically the Eric Gagne show then, while with Gagne and Mota is it virtually a 7 inning game. Plus, they have better options to deal while they are in contention, specifically Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller, who are two of the best pitching prospects out there(I think Jackson is hurt, though I am not sure since I don't follow other teams' minor league systems that well). It is the same situation with Pavano. The Marlins desperately need another stick, and seem to need some bullpen help(they are depending on Koch :puke ), but trading Pavano would basically kill their season. Beckett keeps going on the DL, and hasn't pitched very consistently when healthy, Burnett seems to be a little off while he is recovering from surgery, and Penny and Willis have had a few rough starts recently. They would have a tough time increasing their chances of winning in the playoffs if they dealt their most consistent starter. These situations point out why we should wait until the deadline before speculating or trading off more talent. If either of these teams are in or near first place, it is much more likely that they would deal younger less important players or prospects than their established stars. We can't really tell who is going to be selling off crucial players before the deadline or who is going to be trying to add players.

but trading Pavano would basically kill their season.

IIRC from the article, it said Benetiz and Pavano understood the fact that they could possibly become available if the Marlins dropped out in the next 10 days.

No where did it say Pavano and Benetiz are available. With how s***ty the Marlins pen is(I mean, they gave us a potential utility IF for Billy Koch...and they practically OVERPAID), Benetiz will not become available unless they do drop out.

IIRC from the article, it said Benetiz and Pavano understood the fact that they could possibly become available if the Marlins dropped out in the next 10 days.

No where did it say Pavano and Benetiz are available.  With how s***ty the Marlins pen is(I mean, they gave us a potential utility IF for Billy Koch...and they practically OVERPAID), Benetiz will not become available unless they do drop out.

Thanks for clearing that up...

:huh: