Sam McDowell

BrandoFan

I may be wrong, but I believe he was in an article of Sports Illustrated not too long ago. If I remember correctly from the article he was a hardthrower for the indians. Alcohol problems ruined his career though, and he bounced around awhile before retiring

Mcdowell's career stats Sam McDowell went to Central Catholic in Pittsburgh, the same school that gave the world 1950's NBA star Jack Twyman, Dan Marino and Mark Bulger, plus countless lawyers and politicians in Allegheny County Pennsylvania. McDowell was a great talent, who threw as hard or harder than any of today's pitchers. 1549 is right, alcohol did shorten his career. When he was on, he was unhittable.

Ok; so I'm assuming this was before my time or something?

Now I am really feeling old.

Sudden Sam McDowell may have been the fastest thrower ever and he was one hell of a pitcher (and I do not compliment anything from Cleveland easily).

1549 has it right that he had an alcohol shortened career but Sudden Sam in his prime was like the best there ever was.

Fans of a, shall we say, certain age always called Jack McDowell by his full name - "Jack McDowell" - or Black Jack or whatever because growing up there was only one pitcher (or player) named "McDowell" and that was Sudden Sam.

He was gifted.

Played with good Indian teams in 50's

Actually, he pitched for the Indians in the 60's and early 70's....yes, at 41, I can remember him pitching when I was, like 8 or something....I thought his problems were elbow related and thats what ultimately caused his career to be cut short....

He had a wicked fastball that had that Nolan Ryan movement to it....would kind of ride up an in on a righty...for a couple of season's, he was deadly....

Good ole Sudden Sam....kind of a headcase from what I can remember....

i thought mcdowell's career ended because of an arm injury too...

who was the guy in the mid 60's that pitched for baltimore ithink it was..he was supposed to have the best fastball ever but had terrible control and thus spent more time in the minors then the majors..supposedly he had very bad vision and wore the big thick coke bottle type lenses and would always squint in for the sign...which would scare the hell out of the batters..lol

My dad was telling me about a closer that used to pitch for the Yankees I :huh:  think the last name was Dearn (not sure).  My dad is bias in that he's a yankee fan but he said he was the pitcher who threw the hardest ever.  But was also extremely wild.

Ah, I think you're talking about Ryne Duren.....played for the Yankees in the late 50's early 60's....a career 1.1 K's/inning guy.....he was one of those guys that could bring it close to 100 but was, in fact, very wild, so he not only scared the s*** out of the opposing batter, but also in the Yankee organization...I think he was an allstar a couple of seasons, but I think he had arm problems that shortened his career....

...don't know if he was the fastest ever...didn't see him pitch.....I don't know, I will always tell my grandkids that when I watched this guy Nolan Ryan pitch early in his career, he seems to bring it faster than anybody. Period.

I remember Sam McDowell.  Yes, he could certainly bring it.  How the hell did Cleveland suck all those years when they had McDowell, Tiant, Gaylord Perry?

Well....I think its pretty easy to explain..first of all, Perry only pitched with the Indians after McDowell and Tiant were gone...second, after those two, you had those classic pitchers of yesteryear such as: Steve Hargen, Dick Ellsworth and Sonny Siebert following them in the rotation...a s*** bullpen with nobody you can ever remember and a lineup that was filled with nobody's like Joe Azcue, Fred Whitfield, Vern Fuller, Max Alvis, Larry Brown, Leon Wagner, an aging Vic Davalillo and an equalling aging Rocky Colavito.....

...pure and simple, they would have needed Koufax and Drysdale and maybe even Bob Gibson to have any chance....they just sucked.

I remember Sam McDowell.  Yes, he could certainly bring it.  How the hell did Cleveland suck all those years when they had McDowell, Tiant, Gaylord Perry?

Well....I think its pretty easy to explain..first of all, Perry only pitched with the Indians after McDowell and Tiant were gone...second, after those two, you had those classic pitchers of yesteryear such as: Steve Hargen, Dick Ellsworth and Sonny Siebert following them in the rotation...a s*** bullpen with nobody you can ever remember and a lineup that was filled with nobody's like Joe Azcue, Fred Whitfield, Vern Fuller, Max Alvis, Larry Brown, Leon Wagner, an aging Vic Davalillo and an equalling aging Rocky Colavito.....

...pure and simple, they would have needed Koufax and Drysdale and maybe even Bob Gibson to have any chance....they just sucked.

I seem to remember a couple of those guys end up in a Sox uniform, including an even older Rocky Colavito.