music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Trivia Time

Can anyone tell me where they got the name Joy Division from?

i could totally google this but i'll just guess there was some gay french government division of jo.y...

hehe, i'm laughing at how terrible a guess that is.

it could only be correct.

Shame ian curtis killed himself. I never could get into new order

I liked some of New Order. They were one of those bands with no middle ground. They either did a great song, or they sucked eggs.

Joy Division I could never get into. Too boring, IMO. Shame he killed himself though, I agree.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Young Gun @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
I didn't feel like going back and trying to figure out what you guys were talking.

This is pretty much a never-ending "what are you listening to right now" thread. Add as you wish

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
i could totally google this but i'll just guess there was some gay french government division of jo.y...

hehe, i'm laughing at how terrible a guess that is.

it could only be correct.

Shame ian curtis killed himself. I never could get into new order

Illustrating the state of Curtis's mind he changed the bands name from Warsaw (this came from the track of the same name on Bowie's album Low) to Joy Division after reading about Nazi concentration camps, where groups of females were kept especially for the "entertainment" of the guards. These poor ladies were collectively known as the Joy Division. From time to time the name change to New Order has caused the band some trouble, with minority groups believing the band had leanings towards Fascism. Something constantly denied by the band.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Illustrating the state of Curtis's mind he changed the bands name from Warsaw (this came from the track of the same name on Bowie's album Low) to Joy Division after reading about Nazi concentration camps, where groups of females were kept especially for the "entertainment" of the guards. These poor ladies were collectively known as the Joy Division. From time to time the name change to New Order has caused the band some trouble, with minority groups believing the band had leanings towards Fascism. Something constantly denied by the band.

sweet... haha, they were fascists...

DePloderer, which do you prefer, closer or unknown pleasures. I think i'd like warsaw the best if the sound quality didn't bite the dust.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
sweet... haha, they were fascists...

DePloderer, which do you prefer, closer or unknown pleasures. I think i'd like warsaw the best if the sound quality didn't bite the dust.

I'd have to go with Closer, Heart and Soul and Isolation are tops. Although as an album Substance wins out for me.

Edited by DePloderer

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I'd have to go with Closer, Heart and Soul and Isolation are tops.

closer was the first JD album i heard and as soon as the drums came on in Atrocity exhibition i was hooked.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
closer was the first JD album i heard and as soon as the drums came on in Atrocity exhibition i was hooked.

I saw them in Sheffield and Love Will Tear Us Apart just blew us away!

Edited by DePloderer

you saw them live? Lucky bastard, i've been trying to find that live vinyl for a couple months now...i hate ebay so no to that. Thats so cool. I don't know if i've mentioned this yet but Jose` Gonzales' cover of Love will tear us apart is pretty good ...so many terrible covers of that song (square pusher LOL) that he really seemed to nail it.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
you saw them live? Lucky bastard, i've been trying to find that live vinyl for a couple months now...i hate ebay so no to that. Thats so cool. I don't know if i've mentioned this yet but Jose` Gonzales' cover of Love will tear us apart is pretty good ...so many terrible covers of that song (square pusher LOL) that he really seemed to nail it.

I went through a period of weekly gigs when at Art College, right time right place. Saw everyone from Souxie and Banshees (including Robert Smith, he of the Cure) through The Police and on to Genesis. Cosmopolitan or what!

Didn't know Jose Gonzales had covered Love', will have to look out for it.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Nothing special IMO.

Ras Kass sucks.

Hey DePloderer, I'm going to Leeds for work at the end of April hopefully. Having seen JD live you might be a little old to ask this :) but are there any good clubs to hit there? Or even just Pubs with DJs?

Edited by sti3

QUOTE(sti3 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Ras Kass sucks.

Hey DePloderer, I'm going to Leeds for work at the end of April hopefully.  Having seen JD live you might be a little old to ask this :) but are there any good clubs to hit there?  Or even just Pubs with DJs?

Ah yes I only have my memories now. I'm told that there's a great nightlife in Leeds these days, I'll ask around. How old are you, what are you into?

You might like to look at this link.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
Ah yes I only have my memories now. I'm told that there's a great nightlife in Leeds these days, I'll ask around. How old are you, what are you into?

You might like to look at this link.

I'm into hip-hop, trance, techno, but also some rock. Thanks for the link!

Went to Coldplay thursday, probably not a favorite of the board here, but I was rather impressed. Alot of energy from the band, which even covered Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire." Richard Ashcroft opened, he's really strange, took off his shoes and socks in the middle of a song and proceeded to dance around. Of course, he and his band played Bittersweet Symphony from the days when he was with the Verve.

PS. I don't like the UC much for concerts.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
You'll probably do better with this link. One of the girls that I coach vouches for this place on a Wednesday night.

That looks right up my alley. Hope the timing of my meeting allows me to hit this on a Weds.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Went to Coldplay thursday, probably not a favorite of the board here, but I was rather impressed.  Alot of energy from the band, which even covered Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."  Richard Ashcroft opened, he's really strange, took off his shoes and socks in the middle of a song and proceeded to dance around.  Of course, he and his band played Bittersweet Symphony from the days when he was with the Verve.

PS.  I don't like the UC much for concerts.

That show got good reviews actually. I know people who saw them both at Alpine and at the UC and they hated the Alpine show but loved the UC show, wierd. I'm not a fan of theirs but glad you had fun.