All Star Baseball 2004

Chisoxfn

The very best baseball game ever was Ken Griffey Jr Major League baseball for Super Nintendo,  that was a great game.

That game was the s***. I remember you could run your player into the wall and it would make this loud thud-like sound. I would do that over and over again. Hours of laughs.

I own and still play the N64 version of Griffey baseball, when you do a season, the scores are real high earlier in the year, but once you get half way through the season they start to come way down. I've got way to much time on my hands, so I love to play all 162 games in a season, if the game is good.

ASB2004 for ps2 is solid. The hitting takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's alot better than the easy or zone setting. You really have to concentrate to pitch. The cards are pretty useless except for the team and uniform ones, and the scenario is fun but some of them, like hitting the 5th home run with Cameron, are hard and boring b/c you have to wait about 2 innings to hit with him again.

How much did you pay for it? I went over to Amazon and it was still $50bucks..unless you got one of the "used" games which was around $42bucks

That MLB '04 was $40bucks

I have ASB2003 and that was pretty easy(hitting, pitching) Is '04 harder?

I folded and ordered it last night, so it better be good

How much did you pay for it? I went over to Amazon and it was still $50bucks..unless you got one of the "used" games which was around $42bucks

It was $50 at EB but I had a gift card for 10 so i wound paying about 42 with tax.

This game seems pretty hard to me, even on rook. The pitch really comes in fast too, you have to develop an eye for recognize the pitch, and where it's going. That's what makes it tough. I have won a lot of 3-2, 2-1, 5-3 type games. I'm about 20 games into a franchise and it's still great. There's so many details from hot/cold zones, to hitting charts and pitch counts, warming up the bullpen, putting in righties against left handed pitchers, etc it makes it very realistic.

It was $50 at EB but I had a gift card for 10 so i wound paying about 42 with tax.

This game seems pretty hard to me, even on rook. The pitch really comes in fast too, you have to develop an eye for recognize the pitch, and where it's going. That's what makes it tough. I have won a lot of 3-2, 2-1, 5-3 type games. I'm about 20 games into a franchise and it's still great. There's so many details from hot/cold zones, to hitting charts and pitch counts, warming up the bullpen, putting in righties against left handed pitchers, etc it makes it very realistic.

Hows the franchise mode? Can you hire coaches, draft minor leaguers, multiplayer/uneven trades, etc.?

Hows the franchise mode?  Can you hire coaches, draft minor leaguers, multiplayer/uneven trades, etc.?

Franchise is sweet. Rule 5 draft, amateur draft, arbitration all that stuff.

You can commit a certain amount of points to categories like coaching (helps your players improve more and faster), medical staff (come back from injuries faster), training (get injured less), etc. When you make the playoffs, you get more points to use on that stuff, so you are rewarded for winning. Also I think your budget to use on players gets bigger.

You can do multiplayer trades, also involving minor leaguers, but the cpu doesn't let you rip them off. If they don't want a player, or they have a good one that doesn't make alot, they are less likely to make the trade.

Hows the franchise mode?  Can you hire coaches, draft minor leaguers, multiplayer/uneven trades, etc.?

Franchise is sweet. Rule 5 draft, amateur draft, arbitration all that stuff.

You can commit a certain amount of points to categories like coaching (helps your players improve more and faster), medical staff (come back from injuries faster), training (get injured less), etc. When you make the playoffs, you get more points to use on that stuff, so you are rewarded for winning. Also I think your budget to use on players gets bigger.

You can do multiplayer trades, also involving minor leaguers, but the cpu doesn't let you rip them off. If they don't want a player, or they have a good one that doesn't make alot, they are less likely to make the trade.

Wow a rare case of a video game company recognizing the shortcomings of their game and actually improving on them all by the next release. I found ASB 2003 to be severely lacking in the franchise mode. Navigating the statistics menus was also very tedious and the controls changed on different menus. I was pretty disappointed with the 2003 game. I'm hoping 2004 is worth my money but I am definitely renting this one first.

I think you just sold me Spiff.  Can you do a 4 man rotation?  I was going to go with World Series 2k3, but now I'm thinking ASB sounds sweet. Its what i've had for such a long time.

yeh you can do four, or you can stick with 5 and skip the 5th sometimes, like when you have off days.

if you are unsure which one you want, you could always rent em and decide there. but all the stuff asb has is more than enough for me. 75 stadiums, 200 unis, scenario mode, trivia game, unlockables like aluminum bats and bobblehead players give you stuff to try out all the time.

The very best baseball game ever was Ken Griffey Jr Major League baseball for Super Nintendo,  that was a great game.  That is the only baseball video game I ever had that I actually played through an entire season.  Bo Jackson was very good in that game, and in my season Karcovice hit over 50 HR's.  But since that game is from 1993 or 94 you cant trade or do anything like that, but back in the day I loved it...baseball games have gone down hill ever since.  I remember Ken Griffey Jr for Nintendo 64 was good until it became too easy to play and the scores would be 60-0.  Unfortunately I would never play more than 10 games a season because it was too easy...I wish i still had Super Nintendo and the original KGJ baseball  :(

That truly was a great game...and still is.

I still own it....and play it alot. I had a whole season with the Sox....Thomas hit like 50....Ventura hit like 35....Karko hit like 40. I had George Bell and Bo Jackson split time(because if hadn't put Jackson in until about July)....and they hit a combined like 35 or 40(like 28 from Jackson). Burks hit like 30....f***ing Joey Cora hit like 20....Raines hit like 25....Johnson hit like 10...and then Guillen hit like 10 too. Thomas hit .475 or so with 180 RBI....and my pitching staff was butter. Hernandez had like 45 saves...and I had a team ERA of like under 2.50(maybe less). That was also my first season with that game....so I did pretty s***ty(I was only like 130-32 or something...lol). The key is to finding the sweet spot of the batter's box....if you can find the spot where your team is hitting the ball hardest, you are in good shape. It is always sweet to hit 575 foot homers.

That is a classic game.....a great game...and I'm sure you could get it for like $10 on EBay and get an SNES system for like $20 max...maybe even less. There were some pretty games for the SNES too....but that and Griffey's slugfest for SNES are the only two real good games I have. I have Mario All-Stars somewhere and the orginal Super Mario World too.

I just went to EB in the mall and talked to the guy there who has played every baseball game out this year extensively, and he said BY FAR the best game is world series baseball. the only problem is, it's not out on PS2 til wednesday. oh well.

He talked extensively about how the franchise mode "blows away maddens franchise mode" and how it has the best pitcher-batter interface of all the games. He said allstar's gameplay still sucks and while mvp baseball is a lot better than triple play, he said comparing mvp to world series would be like comparing quarterback club to madden. He talked about the game with me for like 15 minutes, gave me every rundown about how attendance effects revenue and how the GM will be on your case if you start losing right away. And how this game is the first to have realistic looking curve balls and changeups and the like. I can only tell you what i heard, but i'm getting this game wednesday and will write a complete review on here.

I just went to EB in the mall and talked to the guy there who has played every baseball game out this year extensively, and he said BY FAR the best game is world series baseball. the only problem is, it's not out on PS2 til wednesday. oh well.

He talked extensively about how the franchise mode "blows away maddens franchise mode" and how it has the best pitcher-batter interface of all the games. He said allstar's gameplay still sucks and while mvp baseball is a lot better than triple play, he said comparing mvp to world series would be like comparing quarterback club to madden.  He talked about the game with me for like 15 minutes, gave me every rundown about how attendance effects revenue and how the GM will be on your case if you start losing right away. And how this game is the first to have realistic looking curve balls and changeups and the like. I can only tell you what i heard, but i'm getting this game wednesday and will write a complete review on here.

Go to http://ps2.ign.com they really go in depth about every game. World Series is the one that I was originally going to get, cause its got so many features.

I'm just gonna rent and then decide.

OK, ASB didn't arrive today, so it'll be here for sure on Tuesday. I will have my review of the game up Thursday.

Mine shipped on Monday, should be here on wed..

just wondering if you could play the game against other people with that adapter thing you connect in the back of the PS2?

I kinda want to try that, but don't know what games use that..and I'll have to buy the adapter thingy too. Has anybody here tried it? Just curious