Otis update from WSI

Rowand44

Bruce Levine says this afternoon KW is pushing heavily for a bullpen arm, Hasegawa from the Mariners.

(suppresses thought about Mike Jackson being cut so he can be fulltime taxi driver for Twins players).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Levine says this afternoon KW is pushing heavily for a bullpen arm, Hasegawa from the Mariners.

(suppresses thought about Mike Jackson being cut so he can be fulltime taxi driver for Twins players).

Bullpen help would be excellent. I doubt they will release Jackson if we do get another arm. It’s almost certain that Neal will go down to Triple A. :headshake

Bullpen help would be excellent. I doubt they will release Jackson if we do get another arm. It’s almost certain that Neal will go down to Triple A.  :headshake

I'm not so sure about that, I think they'll want to keep two lefties in the bullpen.

Catalanotto will be playing hurt the rest of the year, per the MLB site. He can only run at like 60%. He'd be a DH only [could move Everett to RF, but not ideal]

Hairston Jr or Roberts could be nice at 2B. In the Washington Post an article today listed a "surprise" team in the hunt for one of these guys [Oakland was considered likely to make a trade bythe deadline w/ Balt.]

Balt. wouldn't want Harris, nor do I think Willie should be traded. If he's dropped in the order, he'd be fine. Uribe could be moved in a deal. Jose is likely to re-sign next year at SS, with his defense [yeah i know] and power. SS Wilson Valdez may be ready next year as well, as he can hit and field. Ozzie has some inside info on the guy, so Uribe could be moved if Valdez could be an option if Jose moves on.

But if Hairston could play a decent RF, then he could be there in 2005 as well. That way Harris could still be part of the Sox future.

From today's Washington Post:

Orioles Notes: Team officials, who as recently as Tuesday were speaking cautiously about the possibility of making any major trades this week, expressed more optimism Wednesday following a productive day of telephone conversations with rival teams.

After weeks of focusing on the Oakland Athletics as their likeliest trade partner in a deal involving one of the Orioles' second basemen -- Hairston or Roberts -- team officials were buoyed Wednesday by the emergence of a new potential suitor. Team officials would not disclose the identity of the "surprise" team that has become interested in Roberts or Hairston. . . .

===========================================

I know how much Ozzie loved Roberts' speed early this year, when he was running at will vs. the Sox. Balt. may want to trade Hairston though, as he's at his maximum value. He's a career 260+ hitter, same as Roberts, who's cheaper.

After weeks of focusing on the Oakland Athletics as their likeliest trade partner in a deal involving one of the Orioles' second basemen -- Hairston or Roberts -- team officials were buoyed Wednesday by the emergence of a new potential suitor. Team officials would not disclose the identity of the "surprise" team that has become interested in Roberts or Hairston. . . .

That sounds like Kenny Williams.

But looking at their stats, I'm asking myself, are either guy that much of an upgrade over Harris and Uribe? Though Hairston is hitting over .300 now, he's been a .260+ hitter through his career. Roberts has tailed off from a good start, now back to his career numbers, ala Uribe.

Both have better stolen bases numbers than Willie and Juan, though.

If any deal did go down, Uribe from the Sox and Hairston Jr from Balt would make sense. With Tejada at SS and Roberts [LH hitter] at 2B, Hairston would probably be moved. And with Uribe a RH bat with low OBP, keeping Willie [a LH bat with a good batting eye] would make sense.

Hairston was moved to right field this year because Brian Roberts is playing 2nd base.  Right now I wouldn't write off the Sox acquiring two guys for the top of the order.

If they acquired Roberts, he would play 2nd base, while Catalanato would play RF.  This gives the Sox a rejuvanated 1-2 in the lineup.

I don't think Hairston would cost too much cause he's owed some money.  Maybe someone like Ruddy Yan and another mid-level guy.  Cat may be a little more expensive, trade wise, but it could still be done without givnig up one of the top guys...obviously.

The question is will Harris or Uribe be part of either deal, cause I could see Toronto taking one or the other.  I still like Harris, so I think it would be great to have him and Hairston together. 

New lineup

Hairston

Catalanato

Lee

Everett

Konerko

Jose

Arow

Crede

Burke

I like Rowand higher in the order...but that lineup is too good to turn down.

I'll take it...where do I sign? :)

Cattalanano or whatever his name is has an injury that requires surgery. He will play in pain for the rest of the year, but has to run at 60%. I say sign him in the offseason, forget about it now. I think Otis is full of crap.

After seeing that, I agree, I'd pass up on Cat if thats true.