Carlos to be traded?

YASNY

Carlos Lee was back in the White Sox's starting lineup for Thursday's 7-6 win over the Kansas City Royals, one day after taking a personal leave from the team to tend to his ill child.

According to one source, the final 10 games of the season could be the final 10 games Lee plays while wearing a Sox uniform.

While general manager Ken Williams insisted Thursday he has no plans concerning the offseason yet, a source close to the situation said one scenario the Sox will explore is to trade Lee and pursue Houston's Carlos Beltran, who is expected to file for free agency.

In order to pay the hefty price for Beltran, the Sox would probably not try to resign soon-to-be free agent Magglio Ordonez and trade either Lee or first baseman Paul Konerko.

The link to the Daily Southtown article

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trading Lee would certainly bring in talent ala the Richie Sexton deal. It's a matter of finding the right deal and filling the right holes.

But I've always felt there were big holes in Lee's game, not just hitting and fielding. The brain cramps mostly. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping PK over Lee because I don't see Lee as a player to build around.

Trading Lee would certainly bring in talent ala the Richie Sexton deal. It's a matter of finding the right deal and filling the right holes.

But I've always felt there were big holes in Lee's game, not just hitting and fielding. The brain cramps mostly. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping PK over Lee because I don't see Lee as a player to build around.

We could either restock the high minors with bigger prospects (ala Cleveland), or we could try to restock our pen and get a starter. Plus getting Beltran to fill in the spot? Damn, that would be almost too good to be true.

We could either restock the high minors with bigger prospects (ala Cleveland), or we could try to restock our pen and get a starter.  Plus getting Beltran to fill in the spot?  Damn, that would be almost too good to be true.

Exactly. I cannot see... where the Sox would go after a Beltran. Too expensive. Pipe dream, folks, pipe dream.

Exactly.  I cannot see... where the Sox would go after a Beltran.  Too expensive.  Pipe dream, folks, pipe dream.

Carlos Lee = $8 million for 2005

Paul Konerko = $8.75 million for 2005

Get rid of one of these guys, and that $15 mil a year doesn't look that much more expensive. Remember we also are getting rid of Maggs (which is pretty much spent) $5 mil for Valentin, and $6 million for Koch. That is $11 million more dollars which means we could fit Beltran into our budget at $15 mil/yr and still have about $4-$5 mil left over depending on whether CLee or PK got traded.

Don't dismiss this as impossible, just yet.

Get rid of one of these guys, and that $15 mil a year doesn't look that much more expensive.  Remember we also are getting rid of Maggs (which is pretty much spent) $5 mil for Valentin, and $6 million for Koch.  That is $11 million more dollars which means we could fit Beltran into our budget at $15 mil/yr and still have about $4-$5 mil left over depending on whether CLee or PK got traded.

I wish.

Smokescreen...

Remember, they didn't want to sign Maggs for that kind of money - the whole premise is they don't want to pay one single player all that money. Now why would they let Maggs walk (pre-injury Maggs) and then go sign (I don't care who) another player with the same sort of production for the same money?

I don't buy it. Period.

I hope, for all of our sakes, that it works out, but I can't see ownership paying this kind of money to one single player, I don't care who it is.

Get rid of one of these guys, and that $15 mil a year doesn't look that much more expensive.  Remember we also are getting rid of Maggs (which is pretty much spent) $5 mil for Valentin, and $6 million for Koch.  That is $11 million more dollars which means we could fit Beltran into our budget at $15 mil/yr and still have about $4-$5 mil left over depending on whether CLee or PK got traded.

Why should we want this to happen? That'll likely be 1/6-1/5 of the total payroll, and it'll be a multiyear (minimum 5 yr) deal, so it ties our hands for years to come.

Beltran is good, but he's definitely not as good as either Guerrero or Pujols, each of whom makes $14-15 mil. If he gets as much as that, walk away.

smokescreen.

feed the fans the folly that they're really going to try to get Beltran.

Get outbid. Fall short.

Cry that they tried.

and then give us John Cangelosi Lite.

Book it.

Beltran ain't coming to Chicago.

He'll be in pinstripes.

Sad but true!

I remember years ago, when the Sox needed a CF and Kirby Puckett was a FA. Puck was a southsider, and wanted to play for the Sox. As we all know, he ultimateley re-signed with the Twins. I recall Reinsdorf being quoted as saying that they did everything in their power to pursuade Puck to join the Sox. Later, I read a quote by Puck in which he stated that the Sox NEVER made him an offer, NOR HAD THEY EVER EVEN CONTACTED HIM!

This is the way in which the Sox do business..."F**k the fans, we want to make money!"

Exactly.  I cannot see... where the Sox would go after a Beltran.  Too expensive.  Pipe dream, folks, pipe dream.

a lot of deals KW has made were supposed pipe dreams, to an extent.

I personally don't see us getting him because I'm not so sure he would want to come here ... financially, I think we can with the right moves. I'm not sure if I'd want to though.

The only way we will sign Beltran is if he dumps Scott Boras as his agent which could still happen. Getting a Richie Sexson or J.D Drew type of deal for Carlos would be perfect, to fill multiple needs. Don't forget Boras thinks the Yanks will fork out $120 mill over 8 years for Beltran as well.

Exactly....most likely scenario, We trade Lee or Konerko, free up salary or Beltran and then fall short in getting him leaving us with a bad team but a much much smaller payroll!!!  Lets hope it doesnt happen

BTW, Beltran wont play for the yankees, he has no desire to play in NYC. The only pinstripes he wil be wearing will be on 35th st

The only way we will sign Beltran is if he dumps Scott Boras as his agent which could still happen. Getting a Richie Sexson or J.D Drew type of deal for Carlos would be perfect, to fill multiple needs. Don't forget Boras thinks the Yanks will fork out $120 mill over 8 years for Beltran as well.

he already did dump borassss. he did it after barry bonds drop borass

Ya, I havent heard anything along those lines either. I want a link.

As far as the whole Beltran thing, it would be awesome, trade Lee, get some goods for him, then sign Beltran, but I agree with everyone else, its pretty much a pipe dream. There are just one to many good moves that would have to be made, that I really dont think the Sox Brass a capible of. :headshake

I think KW is pretty creative about moving guys. I don't think that is the problem. The problem is the wallet, as usual, won't be opened for one player, IMO.

Let's hope that there is a big ass crow on my table for reporting day next spring.

I think KW is pretty creative about moving guys.  I don't think that is the problem.  The problem is the wallet, as usual, won't be opened for one player, IMO.

Let's hope that there is a big ass crow on my table for reporting day next spring.

I would gladly split that plate of crow with you if this were to happen. Here's to hoping. :pray

Komet ... I will help you eat it.

As much as I like Beltran, I just don't see it happening. Too much $$ and too much competition from a team like the Yankees who want him badly.

Actually, Beltran was quoted earlier in the year speaking very positively about the prospect of playing in NY. Didn't sound to me like he had any problem with it, he was quoted as being buddies with Bernie Williams or something like that.

I have absolutely no problem with that. Left field is a position that can be filled in house imo, with Ross gload. Thats right, Gload can actually play left field, especially if you give him some winter ball to get acclimated.

Plus Lee should command heavy value. I still think he has more value then any other offensive player on this team. And Carlos Beltran...hell ya. The guy is an absolute STUD. Him and Rowand and someone else is a-ok with me. Rowand in rf, Beltran in CF and thats two guys with good arms for their position, and awesome range.

Beltran would also give the Sox some switch hitting power. On another note, considering Everett is going to be back, I'd assume he'd get a lot of time in left field, which is a position he could do a decent job at. With him and Gload their, Beltran in center and Rowand in rf I would have absolutely no problem.

Plus, you lose 14 mill with Maggs and 8 mill with Lee and get some damn good players in return (hopefully pitchers or a pitcher and a leadoff hitter) and that should be enough to get Beltran in here long term.

Still, I'd be in shock if the Sox got Beltran.

The way i see it, Paulie is a perfect #5 hitter and I'm not opposed to keeping him. Beltran fits very nicely in the 3 slot, but I'm thinking they may hit him 4 (if this went down) to break up Thomas and Konerko. Plus it gives some balance.

Then the 6th hitter would be a mix of Everett/Gload, imo. Rowand in the 2 slot and I wouldn't be able to tell you who else would be playing, but I'd guess Uribe is gonna get a shot at the 7 slot and the Sox will have a new leadoff hitter and possibly 3rd baseman.

Actually, Beltran was quoted earlier in the year speaking very positively about the prospect of playing in NY.  Didn't sound to me like he had any problem with it, he was quoted as being buddies with Bernie Williams or something like that.

Beltran said "I could see playing here next year" to virtually every city he visited, to every local reporter who asked him. I remember the NY media was pushing him hard on that point. Probably a standard reply cooked up by Boras for Beltran to tell those who asked.

I posted some Beltran quotes on another thread. He's basically a quiet guy who doesn't like all the media attention, who wants to go out in public w/o being recognized. No chance of that happening in NY or Bos. Chicago? He could blend in