AL Champs - Yankees

Paul Sullivan

East - Yankees

Central - Sox

West - A's

Wildcard - Angels

AL Champs - Yankees

Misc picks:

Rick Morrissey, Phil Rogers, Teddy Greenstein select Magglio Ordonez for MVP.

Paul Sullivan selects Jerry Manuel as AL Manager of the year.

You know what will be really weird?

If we win the division or go onto the ALCS/World Series....Manuel WILL be MotY....someone on the Sox should get a major award(MVP, Cy Young.....Thomas should be Comeback Player of the Year.....and maybe RoY)....and (gulp)....KW will get GM of the Year.

Scary....but probably true.

If we win the division or go onto the ALCS/World Series....Manuel WILL be MotY....someone on the Sox should get a major award(MVP, Cy Young.....Thomas should be Comeback Player of the Year.....and maybe RoY)....and (gulp)....KW will get GM of the Year.

And if we don't get at least to the playoffs.. JM will be looking for a new job.

And if we don't get at least to the playoffs.. JM will be looking for a new job.

If we get off to a slow start....not even as bad as how we started in 2001....Manuel will be looking for a new job. If we start out 15-25 or so....Manuel should be given the axe.

I, for one, am sick and tired of just making it to the playoffs. IMHO, if we make it to the playoffs and don't get to at least the ALCS, JM should get the axe.

How can you be sick and tired of just making it to the playoffs? We've only gone three times since 1959. Sick and tired? Not me. Do I want more? Of course, but if we win the division and are competitive in the ALDS, but lose, I cannot call that a failure.

2000 was not a failure. Because we did not build on that, '01 and '02 were failures.

but if we win the division and are competitive in the ALDS, but lose, I cannot call that a failure.

That's your opinion..... and you're entitled to it. But considering it could be first round and out 4 times over the last 20 years (20%), I'm sick and tired of having a good team for that particular year and being just good enough to make it to the playoffs and lose in the first round. This team, at least on paper, is better than the 2000 squad and, with 2 possible 20-game winners, a line-up with the offensive punch the White Sox have, and a deeper bullpen than the one we had in 2000, this White Sox team should be able to advance beyond the first round if they make it to the 2003 playoffs. And, like I've said before, the Organization's goal should be to make the WS every year..... not just the playoffs. We'll see how committed to winning the White Sox are this year when, if the Sox are in first place come the trade deadline, JR goes out and picks up a game-breaker for the expected playoff run and not just the usual stop-gap he has acquired over the years. Two Charles Johnson-type pick-ups would show a desire to win it all..... not one Tim Belcher (although, I would argue, that catching wasn't the position we need to shore up for the 2000 playoff run).

Killa....my question will be followed after the hypothetical situation.

Say Colon and Buehrle are ripping the league apart...like we expect them to. However....Jon Garland is also doing the same thing....he has, say, a 13-6 record at the deadline with a 3.74 ERA....however....he struggled getting out of the gate in April....and has had an ERA of under 3.20 since May....and he's won 11 games since May. With that 1-2-3 punch of Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, would you still go out and pick up another game-breaker type....or do you save the farm and just leave the roster as is?

I know what I'd do....and it would involve making a trade....I just am not sure it would involve getting a pitcher at all. The potential of this team is limitless....because in my mind....this is a team that could very well win 110 games.

Depends really. I mean, if you're way out in front on the Twins, you stick with the team you have. If you're fairly close, say 5 games up or down, then you go out and get another stud. If you make the playoffs, you have a very solid four man rotation.

Phil Rogers knows what's up! This team goes as far as Frank Thomas takes them. You need a solid heart of the lineup. Maggs and Konerko can have breakout years. But if Frank doesn't, it'll probably be all for naught in the big scheme of things. If Frank and everybody's on, we can get past even the Spankees.

Say Colon and Buehrle are ripping the league apart...like we expect them to.  However....Jon Garland is also doing the same thing....he has, say, a 13-6 record at the deadline with a 3.74 ERA....however....he struggled getting out of the gate in April....and has had an ERA of under 3.20 since May....and he's won 11 games since May.  With that 1-2-3 punch of Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, would you still go out and pick up another game-breaker type....or do you save the farm and just leave the roster as is?

I know what I'd do....and it would involve making a trade....I just am not sure it would involve getting a pitcher at all.  The potential of this team is limitless....because in my mind....this is a team that could very well win 110 games.

I know what you'd do too. You'd trade Carlos Lee. :lol:

Say Colon and Buehrle are ripping the league apart...like we expect them to.  However....Jon Garland is also doing the same thing....he has, say, a 13-6 record at the deadline with a 3.74 ERA....however....he struggled getting out of the gate in April....and has had an ERA of under 3.20 since May....and he's won 11 games since May.  With that 1-2-3 punch of Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, would you still go out and pick up another game-breaker type....or do you save the farm and just leave the roster as is?

I know what I'd do....and it would involve making a trade....I just am not sure it would involve getting a pitcher at all.  The potential of this team is limitless....because in my mind....this is a team that could very well win 110 games.

i will keep the rotation as is, we will go 3 deep in pitching at the beginning of the playoff. furthermore, i think it is essential that we need to see what happens in the offseason with colon.

however, we may need to address the lineup for the playoff. the catching and the cf is still and will be a concern for me.

Good points as always witesoxfan..... but I never said the game-breaker we would need would, hypothetically, be a pitcher ;) . Right now, this team has a hole, IMHO, at CF and 2B..... only because Rowand and Jimenez are unproven as starters. If they prove themselves, I will be glad to retract my last statement. But, if both are just barely getting by, and this team has two potential 20-game winners and a potential 15-17 game winner, then I would hope the needs at 2B and CF would be addressed before the pitching..... in fact, if given the choice between the two, I'd rather have to go out and get some offense than pitching. And, with Buehrle and Colon as our 1-2 punch for '03, come the trade deadline we better not do anything half-assed like this team has done in the past..... again, IMHO. If hypothetically, Erstad is available and we pick-up a Corey Patterson to fill the hole at CF, it would be pretty much par-for-the-course for the White Sox Organization. Hell..... even the sCrUBS went out and got a potential game-breaker in Fred McWhiff for the 2001 sCrUB drive to the pennant that never materialized after Chip Carey announced that the NL Central was locked up in late July when McWhiff accepted the trade from Tampa to Chicago :lol:

Say Colon and Buehrle are ripping the league apart...like we expect them to.  However....Jon Garland is also doing the same thing....he has, say, a 13-6 record at the deadline with a 3.74 ERA....however....he struggled getting out of the gate in April....and has had an ERA of under 3.20 since May....and he's won 11 games since May.  With that 1-2-3 punch of Colon, Buehrle, and Garland, would you still go out and pick up another game-breaker type....or do you save the farm and just leave the roster as is?

I know what I'd do....and it would involve making a trade....I just am not sure it would involve getting a pitcher at all.  The potential of this team is limitless....because in my mind....this is a team that could very well win 110 games.

I know what you'd do too. You'd trade Carlos Lee. :lol:

Touche! :nono