A Closer/ Set up man via trade

beck72

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Man but Percival = Koch

Percival has been nothing but consistently great his entire career. The guy was amazing in the 2nd half of this season with the Angels. Had an ERA in the low 1's if not below that (I calculated it a while back, but don't have it with me and blew I think one save after coming back from his injury...while finishing like 21 games or something).

You wouldn't trade Crede for Baez?  I thought you didnt like Crede.

No way in hell would I make that trade, imo. Look at what Jimenez did. One good year from a closer guarantees absolutely nothing. Their are a lot of closers that had one or two good seasons and then completely dissapeared.

If the Sox have actually shortened Crede's swing and corrected his flaw, then I will instill my faith in the man. I know a few stories referenced to this fact that he got it fixed right near the end of the season and they expect him to do good next year.

Plus he provides defense and at his price it doesn't make sense to give him up.

Percival has been nothing but consistently great his entire career.  The guy was amazing in the 2nd half of this season with the Angels.  Had an ERA in the low 1's if not below that (I calculated it a while back, but don't have it with me and blew I think one save after coming back from his injury...while finishing like 21 games or something).

Yes He was, But he's on the Decline. Remeber how good Koch was with the A's before comming to chicago. Those are the things you gotta look at sometimes and not only the stats. Of course stats help and i could be wrong, But i don't see Percival as the Dominating closer he was. Will he get his saves Yes, But not as dominating as he was

Yes He was, But he's on the Decline. Remeber how good Koch was with the A's before comming to chicago. Those are the things you gotta look at sometimes and not only the stats. Of course stats help and i could be wrong, But i don't see Percival as the Dominating closer he was. Will he get his saves Yes, But not as dominating as he was

2001 and 2002 he was just sick. 2003 he had an era of 3.47 which is not very good for a closer i will admit but it is just acceptable. This year he had an era of 2.90, so all in all he has had 3 and a half good years out of the last four.

You can just tell he'll go Hawkins like if they do that. New York shipped him out because he couldn't handle the pressure. Take 2.

His first bad year save percentage wise and the media and fans went nuts. He got treated like s*** after many solid season for them.

His first bad year save percentage wise and the media and fans went nuts. He got treated like s*** after many solid season for them.

I guess the thing is with Benitez with his career with the Mets, is that he blew a lot of saves, especially in key situations. In his 1st season with the Mets, he blew 6, saved 22, and had an ERA of 1.85. He's also pitched in his career majorly in pitchers' parks, so there's no doubt his ERA will rise if he leaves Florida, no matter where he goes.

I guess the thing is with Benitez with his career with the Mets, is that he blew a lot of saves, especially in key situations. In his 1st season with the Mets, he blew 6, saved 22, and had an ERA of 1.85. He's also pitched in his career majorly in pitchers' parks, so there's no doubt his ERA will rise if he leaves Florida, no matter where he goes.

Only they would be pissed about they guy that had better than a 85% save percentage in his time being there. :headshake 3 of his seven blown saves in 2003 were against the expos which are not exactly big games. But it was pretty unacceptable to blow three games against the expos.

Only they would be pissed about they guy that had better than a 85% save percentage in his time being there. :headshake  3 of his seven blown saves  in 2003 were against the expos which are not exactly big games. But it was pretty unacceptable to blow three games against the expos.

I thought he had a poor record against the Yankees as well, but I could be wrong, again I'm going off the top of my head. It's interesting though, Looper went to New York from Florida and had a good year, Benitez did the opposite and had a really good year as well. Relivers can be that unpredictable.

I thought he had a poor record against the Yankees as well, but I could be wrong, again I'm going off the top of my head. It's interesting though, Looper went to New York from Florida and had a good year, Benitez did the opposite and had a really good year as well. Relivers can be that unpredictable.

With the mets he gave up 3 earned runs in three innings and had one blown save against the yankees.