A Closer/ Set up man via trade

beck72

You wouldn't trade Crede for Baez?  I thought you didnt like Crede.

If the most the sox could get for crede is a medicore closer in baez we have problems. I know crede has not exactly lit it up but he is damn cheap and has the potentional to break out at any time. I don't see baez getting dramatically better.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the most the sox could get for crede is a medicore closer in baez we have problems. I know crede has not exactly lit it up but he is damn cheap and has the potentional to break out at any time. I don't see baez getting dramatically better.

I agree, I don't make that deal whatsoever, or any deal for Baez in my opinion. All I am saying is that the Devil Rays won't be reluctant to deal Baez if they get the right offer, for the sole purpose of selling him at his highest point.

I agree, I don't make that deal whatsoever, or any deal for Baez in my opinion.  All I am saying is that the Devil Rays won't be reluctant to deal Baez if they get the right offer, for the sole purpose of selling him at his highest point.

I agree that it would be smart to trade him while his value is pretty high. They could always put colome in the closers role. What i have seen of him this year he looked pretty nasty. If that doesn't pan out they could always give it back to lance carter.

Our bullpen imo will actually be descent this season imo

This is what i am expecting

Closer-Ugeth Urbina

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

This combo would arguably be the best in the majors. Shingo should have an era of around 2.3-2.8 and would be a great situational pitcher. Damaso should have an era of 1.8-2.2. And we will be able to get urbina cheap after a relatively disapointing season last year.

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Cliff Politte

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid/Long-Felix Diaz/Jon Adkins

Either Felix Diaz or Jon Adkins will not be with the team next season IMO. Cotts should have a pretty good year, coming in on every 2-3 days and pitching in the 6th or 7th inning and place him against weaker hitters to increase his confidence- 3.50-4.00 era. I had mixed feelings about politte and i am hoping for consistant 1 inning work every couple days giving us a 3.50-4.00 era. I am VERY hi on munoz and am expecting him to be big for us w/ a 2.50-2.80 era.

I think this would actually give us a pretty descent bullpen. We have lots of depth and "versaitility" in the mid relief. Cotts a left hander that can get a big strikeout. Politte who can kick it up to 98 mph and has good control of his slider and fastball. Munoz a lefty who has a great curveball . Felix Diaz with a great changeup.

In the 8th and 9th innings, I think we should play it more by situation. Urbina will be our "assigned" closer but if the situation is right, imo, we should put marte or takatsu in.

The relief combination will be very solid Imo, what are your thoughts?

Our bullpen imo will actually be descent this season imo

This is what i am expecting

Closer-Ugeth Urbina

Setup-Shingo Takatsu

Setup-Damaso Marte

This combo would arguably be the best in the majors.  Shingo should have an era of around 2.3-2.8 and would be a great situational pitcher.  Damaso should have an era of 1.8-2.2.  And we will be able to get urbina cheap after a relatively disapointing season last year.

Mid-Neal Cotts

Mid-Cliff Politte

Mid-Arnie Munoz

Mid/Long-Felix Diaz/Jon Adkins

Either Felix Diaz or Jon Adkins will not be with the team next season IMO.  Cotts should have a pretty good year, coming in on every 2-3 days and pitching in the 6th or 7th inning and place him against weaker hitters to increase his confidence- 3.50-4.00 era.  I had mixed feelings about politte and i am hoping for consistant 1 inning work every couple days giving us a 3.50-4.00 era.  I am VERY hi on munoz and am expecting him to be big for us w/ a 2.50-2.80 era. 

I think this would actually give us a pretty descent bullpen.  We have lots of depth and "versaitility" in the mid relief.  Cotts a left hander that can get a big strikeout.  Politte who can kick it up to 98 mph and has good control of his slider and fastball.  Munoz a lefty who has a great curveball .  Felix Diaz with a great changeup.

In the 8th and 9th innings, I think we should play it more by situation.  Urbina will be our "assigned" closer but if the situation is right, imo, we should put marte or takatsu in.

The relief combination will be very solid Imo, what are your thoughts?

The tigers are planning on picking up urbina's options from what i have read. I think it is not fair to expect an era around 1.8-2.2 for marte. The highest politte was hitting last year was aroun 96 and that was only early on in the year. For the most part of the ytear he was cnsistently hitting 94-95.

We need to take care of the SP positon first. The better are 1-5 guys are, the better the 'pen is. If we can get the #5 spot taken care of, and wont have to kill are bullpen every 5 days becasue the 5th spot only went 2 innings.  We need to sure of the 5th spot, then need to sign a quality pen guy. I dont think we really need a establshied closer. Shingo has proven he can do the job, and Marte should be ready to answer the call for closer by now.

I don't think marte is ever gonna be a closer. His save ratio is one of the wort over the last 3 years. Whenever he is closing he looks shaky as hell. Same goes for politte when it is a close game. It's like they both completely lose it.

We need to take care of the SP positon first. The better are 1-5 guys are, the better the 'pen is. If we can get the #5 spot taken care of, and wont have to kill are bullpen every 5 days becasue the 5th spot only went 2 innings.  We need to sure of the 5th spot, then need to sign a quality pen guy. I dont think we really need a establshied closer. Shingo has proven he can do the job, and Marte should be ready to answer the call for closer by now.

It doesnt matter what order u do it, as long as u do it. I do agree that we dont need a closer we just need a solid bullpen guy.

Also, some1 said marte isnt a good closer. Yes, i agree, i remember he blew like 9 saves in the first half of the season 2 yrs ago. But if u put him in good situations for him, when he has more than a 1 run lead, he is a good option.

It doesnt matter what order u do it, as long as u do it.  I do agree that we dont need a closer we just need a solid bullpen guy. 

Also, some1 said marte isnt a good closer.  Yes, i agree, i remember he blew like 9 saves in the first half of the season 2 yrs ago.  But if u put him in good situations for him, when he has more than a 1 run lead, he is a good option.

A closer should be able to close with a one run lead. You should not have to have a 2-3 run lead to feel safe with putting him in.

TB was the only team willing to take a chance on Baez last off-season, and it paid off for them. They'd want young starting pitching in return for him no doubt. Personally I don't think they'll trade him though, and we should look at Benitez or Percival instead if there's still enough money to sign either one of them (if we don't end up signing a starting pitcher). People say Percival is losing his fastball and is too old but he had a 1.69 ERA after the All Star Break I believe. $4 mill over 2 years wouldn't be that bad of an investment.

A closer should be able to close with a one run lead. You should not have to have a 2-3 run lead to feel safe with putting him in.

Did your read my f'ing post?

I said we should have a closer but feel free to put the best guy in, meaning if it is an opportune time we should put marte in. I never f'ing said he should be our closer. Dont reply to my f'ing message if u read my first one.

As far as Marte's save %, I don't believe in looking at it for guys who pitch the 7th and 8th because I think that they face tougher situations than most closers do in that they may face a lefty with the bases loaded and nobody out wheras a closer usually gets to start an inning. That said, I'm not in favor of using Marte as a closer because we have aguy who saved 95% of his saves last year. I don't believe the league will "figure" out Shingo but I do know that as a guy who has saved games for as long as he has, you know you don't have to worry about him not being mentally tough enough to handle it.

Did your read my f'ing post?

I said we should have a closer but feel free to put the best guy in, meaning if it is an opportune time we should put marte in.  I never f'ing said he should be our closer.  Dont reply to my f'ing message if u read my first one.

You o.k. there?

When you said ''But if u put him in good situations for him, when he has more than a 1 run lead, he is a good option.'' That could have been taken two different ways. One being he would be a good option to close or a good option for the 7th,7th inning. The point is, he is a major league pitcher and should be able to pitch with any size lead or any size deficit.

As far as Marte's save %, I don't believe in looking at it for guys who pitch the 7th and 8th because I think that they face tougher situations than most closers do in that they may face a lefty with the bases loaded and nobody out wheras a closer usually gets to start an inning. That said, I'm not in favor of using Marte as a closer because we have aguy who saved 95% of his saves last year. I don't believe the league will "figure" out Shingo but I do know that as a guy who has saved games for as long as he has, you know you don't have to worry about him not being mentally tough enough to handle it.

Marte has had enough chances to start the ninth inning and get the save. He has blown a good percentage of them.