What do you do when....

Soxy

So, I just got off the phone with my parents who are madly attempting to find new and creative ways to make me embarressed or put in humiliating situations.

The latest one I'm not entirely sure how to deal with. I broke up with my looong term boyfriend this past Spring--and I'm enjoying being single now and adjusting to a new part of the country. After 3.5 years of dating it was nice. Sadly, my parents are being odd and weird about setting me up now (keep in mind I'm 22). So, for the one week of the year when I'll be home uninterrupted my parents have been in cahoots with some friends of theirs to try and set up up with a kid I knew growing up. Obviously this is humiliating because 1.) I am not that pathetic 2.) I really like being single 3.) I am not that pathetic.

So, what's the best way to deal with their meddling? I wouldn't mind seeing this guy again (partially for very shallow reasons, partially because he was a nice guy)--but I'm really not feeling up to a blind date arranged by my parents. I've told them not to do it, but I have a feeling they've already made the call judging by their compulsive calling to ask if anyone's called me. Advice?

I'd be honest with your parents about how you feel (reasons 1-3). You did mention you were 22, and I think that age constitutes you being able to make your own decisions in life, especially about dating. It will save your parents, dude, and most importantly, you, a lot of time.

So, I just got off the phone with my parents who are madly attempting to find new and creative ways to make me embarressed or put in humiliating situations.

The latest one I'm not entirely sure how to deal with. I broke up with my looong term boyfriend this past Spring--and I'm enjoying being single now and adjusting to a new part of the country. After 3.5 years of dating it was nice. Sadly, my parents are being odd and weird about setting me up now (keep in mind I'm 22). So, for the one week of the year when I'll be home uninterrupted my parents have been in cahoots with some friends of theirs to try and set up up with a kid I knew growing up. Obviously this is humiliating because 1.) I am not that pathetic 2.) I really like being single 3.) I am not that pathetic.

So, what's the best way to deal with their meddling? I wouldn't mind seeing this guy again (partially for very shallow reasons, partially because he was a nice guy)--but I'm really not feeling up to a blind date arranged by my parents. I've told them not to do it, but I have a feeling they've already made the call judging by their compulsive calling to ask if anyone's called me. Advice?

My mom tried to set me up once with one of her friend's daughter....Ughh...there's a winning combination..parents setting you up on a date..lol

that'll go well

I didn't go for it..I said absolutely not..no way..no how

Being set up in a arranged manner is a circumstance that is automatically gonna be awkward and that's if your friends set you up..your parents setting you up is gonna be pathetically awkward...even if the guy is a 'nice' guy....getting involved in a relationship is something you have to peruse on your own..if you're not ready for a relationship you're just gonna try and sabotage it without you even knowing it. Simple as that

So just put your foot down.

I'm 24 and I too like being single too..I just don't want to be in a relationship right now and I'm not ready anyways.

Anyways, it's not fair to the other guy to lead him on if your truly not interested and you don't want to lead him on..End it

Oh hell. Just go out on the date. You've said you'd like to see the guy, so what's the problem. Consider the date to be platonic unless somewhere along the line you chose to explore other possibilities. Just because you go on one date doesn't mean you have to give up being single.

Oh hell.  Just go out on the date.  You've said you'd like to see the guy, so what's the problem.  Consider the date to be platonic unless somewhere along the line you chose to explore other possibilities. Just because you go on one date doesn't mean you have to give up being single.

YAS is right -- it couldn't hurt but to give it a shot. Plus, if you blow him off or whatnot, all that would accomplish is creating tension w/ your parents and then an awkward relationship between your parents and the friends of the guy they set you up with. Like you said, you're 22: you might like being single now, but in 15 minutes, that could change (no offense to the age). It's not like going out w/ the guy is an automatic "I've got to sleep w/ him." Go in w/ no expectations or grudges about being set up and attemp have some fun and make the best of it.

Remember this cryptic message: when you're least looking for something is when you find it.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in the situation, although I can certainly understand why you want your parents to butt out of your affairs in terms of boyfriends. I think my parents would probably be happy if I got a girlfriend, regardless if they played matchmaker or not, which they wouldn't do.