Eric Munson??

Chisoxfn

I know the Tigers non-tendered him and some people may laugh at this suggestion. But h's a left handed bat that has power. He obviously has to work on his average but this guy had and still has loads of potential.

Was the 3rd overall pick back in 1999 out of USC and this is just his 2nd full season. I don't know whether he is much good as a catcher since Detroit hasn't used him, but could be just a solid 3rd catcher.

I do like his potential offensively. He's played in 246 major leauge games.

2003: .240 AVG, .312 OBP, 18 HR, 50 RBI, .753 OPS (In 99 Games)

2004: .212 AVG, .289 OBP, .734 OPS, 19 HR, 49 RBI (109 Games)

Could be a good minor league pickup too.

IMO, Munson is a guy who should take a step back and as such will be a good signing for a team who needs depth or a lower tier team. Seems to me he should go back to AAA for at least 1/2 year to get his confidence back.

I can't see the Sox signing him but he wouldn't be a bad non roster invitee. I bet Walker could help with his swing and if that happened, Munson could be very productive. As Jason says, he has the raw power.

I can't see him giving Joe Crede a run for his money, and thats saying something.

Yet as a backup he could be decent. Yet I would rather get a starting C and let Jamie Burke be the 3rd catcher/3B/1B

Defensively, he is no where near Joe Crede. Offensively, he is much, much better already than Crede IMHO. Potential-wise, I think Joe and him are even, but Joe really scared me at the plate. I have seen Munson play some, and I never knew he was a catcher, granted that isn't saying much. I would love to give him a chance, but as long as Ross Gload is on the bench, I don't see a dire need for him.

Sorry, I don't see him already better than Crede offensively.  He would be interesting because he hits lefty with some power.  Anybody know if he can field a lick?  Other positions?

IIRC he makes a ton of errors, however when he played against the sox he looked like a gold glover.

Sorry, I don't see him already better than Crede offensively.  He would be interesting because he hits lefty with some power.  Anybody know if he can field a lick?  Other positions?

Exactly...

Hell his career high in average is like .240. Even Crede has done better then that. Plus you add in Crede's defense and it's no contest. No way in hell would Monson be in upgrade over Crede under any circumstances, no matter how much you hate Crede.

As Jason says, he has the raw power.

Just thought i'd add this thought. The problem with "raw power" is you still have to make contact with the ball. Joe Borchard is the perfect example. He can hit all the 500 + foot homeruns he wants but until he can put up a decent average none of it is going to matter.