Texsox

kapkomet

First time in a couple decades for the Rio Grande Valley. I am praying I don't loose all my oranges.

Taken at 12:30 AM 12/25/04

Travel isn't recommended in the snow and icy roadways overnight into early on Christmas, especially bridges and overpasses on I-35, I-37, and I-10 that have become snow and ice covered in the light snow. The last time this region saw snow of this magnitude was December 22, 1989. So it has been awhile since you have seen this kind of snow. Don't try to challenge it driving. Dress warm and take it easy till the storm passes.
Edited by Texsox

Travel isn't recommended in the snow and icy roadways overnight into early on Christmas, especially bridges and overpasses on I-35, I-37, and I-10 that have become snow and ice covered in the light snow. The last time this region saw snow of this magnitude was December 22, 1989. So it has been awhile since you have seen this kind of snow. Don't try to challenge it driving. Dress warm and take it easy till the storm passes.

That is some of the funniest s*** I've ever read! All that over about an inch?

That is some of the funniest s*** I've ever read! All that over about an inch?

Honestly, that's not all that "funny". First of all, these people very rarely see snow and most drivers have never driven on it. They do not know the tricks to driving safely on snow. Second, They don't have stock piles of salt, sand, cinders or whatever to enhance the melting of the snow and to provide traction for vehicles. They also haven't invested oodles and gobs of snow removal equipment, as there rarely is a need for it.

You could prabably go up to northern Minnesota and look like an idiot to the locals because they know how to deal with the exponentially harsh winters they have up there.

Honestly, that's not all that "funny".  First of all, these people very rarely see snow and most drivers have never driven on it.  They do not know the tricks to driving safely on snow.  Second,  They don't have stock piles of salt, sand, cinders or whatever to enhance the melting of the snow and to provide traction for vehicles.  They also haven't invested oodles and gobs of snow removal equipment, as there rarely is a need for it.

You could prabably go up to northern Minnesota and look like an idiot to the locals because they know how to deal with the exponentially harsh winters they have up there.

Relax. Jeez. I understand all that. I just think it's funny because the PSA sounds like it's the end of the world.

There was a person who works with my wife - she had never seen snow in her life and she's 22 - she's from South Texas.

I told my wife to tell me when she was leaving work last week so I could wait a few hours for her to get home. :lol:

There definitely is not snow equipment here. At all.

A place by my house where the wind was blowing, it drifted a foot or so of snow. Needless to say the road was closed because there was no way in hell anyone could get through that mess. I had to go the long as way home beause of it. And gee, not a snowplow in sight. :bang

On the major overpasses they put down about 2" of sand. It's a frickin' hazard now. LMAO, the winter Texans that we make fun now look like the best drivers.

This snowfall was the most in South Texas in over 109 years of recorded weather history and the first white Christmas in forever.

In a sad note, many lower cost homes in the Rio Grande Valley are built without heating and very little insulation. They are far more worried about the 9 months of 100 plus degree days. Many locations opened up warming centers but still there was much suffering in the colonias. Several homes caught on fire as people built fires to warm up.

On the major overpasses they put down about 2" of sand. It's a frickin' hazard now. LMAO, the winter Texans that we make fun now look like the best drivers.

This snowfall was the most in South Texas in over 109 years of recorded weather history and the first white Christmas in forever.

In a sad note, many lower cost homes in the Rio Grande Valley are built without heating and very little insulation. They are far more worried about the 9 months of 100 plus degree days. Many locations opened up warming centers but still there was much suffering in the colonias. Several homes caught on fire as people built fires to warm up.

I was reading about Brownsville, the first recorded MEASUREABLE snowfall since 1895.

Then I saw where Padre Island never had snow before but got it with this storm.

Yea, it's pretty sad indeed.

jesus.....2 inches of sand?

As I approached a major overpass I thought a truck had lost it's load, then I realized it was what they spread. They had no idea how much to spread. Fortunately the citrus crop wasn't hurt too bad. The snow acted as a blanket and kept the fruit from getting even colder. I lost some really cool cactus that I was growing. I am hoping they will come back in the spring. They are really pretty when they flower.

Remember a few years back when the temps hit 105 in Chicago and people were literally dying? We shrug that off with hardly a whimper. 60 degrees is killer cold for us. Imagine 32.

People are already refering to this as *the* snow storm. 3-5" and gone in less than 1/2 day. I wore shorts outside today.

I heard that it's common practice somewhere to spary citrus with water so it's insulated....that true?

Yes, if ice forms around the fruit the inside will not get any colder than 31 degrees. If the fruit is "naked" it could get colder. They also light smudge pots in the orchards and try to keep things a little warmer. Amazingly, we are so close to live or die. 30 degrees is usually ok, 28 and everything is ruined. Sometimes the fruit near the trunk is ok and that on the outer edges is juice time.

Edited by Texsox

I always thought Texas was warm in the winter until I visited San Antonio last year. I knew we were out of luck when I turned it to the Spanish station and the crazy weather guy was screaming "Frio! Frio! Frio!". I could see they were expecting the weather to turn a little more caliente next Lunes.

....Texas sucks....

I always thought Texas was warm in the winter until I visited San Antonio last year. I knew we were out of luck when I turned it to the Spanish station and the crazy weather guy was screaming "Frio! Frio! Frio!". I could see they were expecting the weather to turn a little more caliente next Lunes.

....Texas sucks....

It was 65ish today in Texas...

I love aggieland :)