Sox targeting 2B

EvilJester99

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeckle, the disparity between the Sox and Iguchi on money could just be the start of negotiations.  The Sox will shoot low, Iguchi high and they'll go from there.  No reason to hate the guy because he wants a good deal.

I never said I hated the guy. I just don't like the fact he's trying to command so much money when he hasn't proven anything at the big league level.

I never said I hated the guy. I just don't like the fact he's trying to command so much money when he hasn't proven anything at the big league level.

What do you consider so much many? There have been no other numbers throw around other than the supposed original offer.

Hey man, ya gotta get as much money as possible and thats what hes trying to do, you cant blame him.

The Cards may have found their 2B;

Second baseman Mark Grudzielanek is a possibility, but the Cardinals may trump the Rays if they decide on Grudzielanek from among a list of potential signees that reportedly includes former Rays infielders Rey Sanchez and Miguel Cairo, and Roberto Alomar.

The Cards may have found their 2B;

I don't see a big market for Iguchi. Most teams are set at 2B. Esp. the "playoff contenders". Even the Red sox who were mentioned as interested have Belhorn who had a .899 OPS vs LHP last yr, and they got Ramon Vazquez as a UTL guy [who hits RHP well].

With Cairo, Cora and Iguchi out there the sox should get someone decent.

From what I've read, the Cardinals are looking at Robbie Alomar as well as Grudzalphabet.

White Sox should have an edge on Iguchi, if the financials work out.

beck72: I have a personal bias on this, as you know. But do you think it's possible the Sox bring in both Iguchi and Alex Cora, and launch Willie Harris? My guess is no, it'd cost too much. It'd sure get me off to a good 2005 though :lol:

From what I've read, the Cardinals are looking at Robbie Alomar as well as Grudzalphabet.

White Sox should have an edge on Iguchi, if the financials work out.

beck72:  I have a personal bias on this, as you know.  But do you think it's possible the Sox bring in both Iguchi and Alex Cora, and launch Willie Harris?  My guess is no, it'd cost too much.  It'd sure get me off to a good 2005 though  :lol:

I think Iguchi could be a good fit. I don't know what other teams are interested in him. Once his agent sees not many teams willing to pay $6 mill a yr, the sox will come up a little, they'll come down a lot [somewhere near the $3 mill a yr figure [$2.5 in 2005, 3.5 mill in 2006]

I think Cora could get an everyday gig somewhere else. Why be a backup at age 29?

that the Sox seem to be going after Iguchi [who'd cost more than both Cora and Cairo] is a good thing. He's more of a risk. But also has a higher upside. Harris should stick around [your bias notwithstanding :D ]. He has upside as well, even if it's coming off the bench, pinch running and hitting vs RHP. Whether his ego will let him do that is another matter.

I wouldn't trade Harris now [though it depends on who the sox could get] He could have more trade value during spring, or midseason, esp. if a 2b goes down on another team.

Whitesox.com says that the Sox have made their "top offer" to Iguchi at $2 million per year, which plainly isn't going to get it done.

If KW has some flexibility, I could definitely see an incentive-laden deal that has a $2 million base with the ability for Iguchi to rise to $4 million or more through performance and vest a $5 million option for '06 if he hits certain milestones (.350 OBP, .450 SLG, etc).

Whitesox.com says that the Sox have made their "top offer" to Iguchi at $2 million per year, which plainly isn't going to get it done.

If KW has some flexibility, I could definitely see an incentive-laden deal that has a $2 million base with the ability for Iguchi to rise to $4 million or more through performance and vest a $5 million option for '06 if he hits certain milestones (.350 OBP, .450 SLG, etc).

I think Kenny wants Cora.

He is going to try to pull the..."Well Alex, we know you'd like to play for your brother, and we are sure you'd be a great fit...but unfortunately, we won't be able to match your top offer. We hope you will choose the Sox to play for your brother and join the "latino clubhouse."

If Kenny can't get Cora with a big discount, I think the next logical move would be to increase the offer with Iguchi or go after Cairo.

Iggy & his agent are forgetting one important detail: Kaz was a bust. There is no way he's going to get a Kaz contract.

I agree if KW has enough flexibility to include say 2M/yr in incentives tied to SB's, All-Star appearance, and games played I would say go ahead & sign him.

I don't like Cora, but I do like Cairo. I think he's tailor-made for the Cell.

But I hope KW is putting his effort into signing Zaun because I think he would

make a greater contribution than both these guys.

I agree on Zaun, he'd clearly make the team stronger but I don't think the White Sox will get him. From what I've read, Zaun is intent on a situation where he'll get lots of playing time. Zaun/Davis/Burke is a strong catching corps, and it allows Burke to function as the 25th man and as a 3B backup, but I doubt it happens.

I like Cairo as well but think the Cardinals will get him. Honestly, I'd be happy with bringing in any of the three ... Cairo, Cora, Iguchi. The key is finding a competent guy to play backup SS. Valdez IMO should be an option only if someone goes on the DL.

They have decisions to make, but what's encouraging is it's clear they're looking to bring in another middle IF. The easy way out is to just give the job to Valdez.

By the way, if the Cardinals get Cairo I'm not crying. Anything that makes those other NL Central teams stronger is fine by me. :D

Edit: Dayne Perry at FoxSports.Com states the Cardinals may be closing in on a deal for Alex Cora. Found this at the Sporting News website.