Two questions from a new Sox fan

FlaCWS

1. Is US Cellular Field as bad as people say? A friend of mine went there a few years ago and said it was one of the worst stadiums he's been to. The best stadiums I've been to are Fenway, Yankee, Wrigley (sorry), Camden Yards and Citizens Bank (the new Phillies stadium). I'm looking forward to my first visit to the "Cell" this season.

2. Why do the Cubs seem to have so many more fans than the Sox? Like I said in my earlier post, the Cubs seem to me to be like the Yankees and Lakers in that they're the "hip" team in town, but I am wondering about the true die-hard fans. The Sox have been around over 100 years, so they should be at least close to the Cubs in terms of fan support. Did Sox fans gradually abandon ship after the 1919 scandal? Or is it something else? Or is this just a wrong perception created by the media? Just trying to get a feel for the true baseball culture in Chicago.

1. Is US Cellular Field as bad as people say? A friend of mine went there a few years ago and said it was one of the worst stadiums he's been to. The best stadiums I've been to are Fenway, Yankee, Wrigley (sorry), Camden Yards and Citizens Bank (the new Phillies stadium). I'm looking forward to my first visit to the "Cell" this season.

2. Why do the Cubs seem to have so many more fans than the Sox? Like I said in my earlier post, the Cubs seem to me to be like the Yankees and Lakers in that they're the "hip" team in town, but I am wondering about the true die-hard fans. The Sox have been around over 100 years, so they should be at least close to the Cubs in terms of fan support. Did Sox fans gradually abandon ship after the 1919 scandal? Or is it something else? Or is this just a wrong perception created by the media? Just trying to get a feel for the true baseball culture in Chicago.

1.) With the recent revisions to the park, I say no.

2.) I have no clue.

1. U.S. Cellular was considered to be one of the worst stadiums in baseball, but the renovations over the past few years has changed that I think. The park is much improved.

2. The Cubs are more popular because of where they play and because of WGN. The Sox play in a residential neighborhood on the south side while the Cubs play in Wrigley, which is filled with bars and restaurants.

I'd say the number of real, legit, intelligent fans is the same ... the Cubs just beat out the Sox when it comes to casual fans.

1. U.S. Cellular has become one of the nicest parks in all of baseball, it's a beautiful park and I'm sure you'll absolutely love it when you go there for your first time.

2. The cubs are the trendy team I guess you can say, they have that lovable loser thing attached to them. Also there are plenty of so called cub fans that are really wrigley field fans who go there to get wasted and sit out in the sun and nothing else.

1. Is US Cellular Field as bad as people say?

Not at all, it is a very good stadium, ecspecially with the upper deck redone. Food is amazing there. Sight lines are great. With the new renovations it going to be awesome/

2. Why do the Cubs seem to have so many more fans than the Sox? Its the hip thing to do. If it werent for all the bars in Wriggleyville then they wouldnt have as many fans as they do. In this town, its cool to skip work go get hammered at a bar and see the cubs. Half the people at the games dont even know the score.

See the quote

Ill admit it. USCF really sucked a few years ago. Now it is one of the nicer parks because of the changes that were made. The reason the cubs have more "fans" is because most of them are idiots who know nothing about baseball. They just want to go to the urinal (wrigley) and get hammered :drink . You wont find too many sox fans that are like that.

Edit: US cellular also has the best food of any ballpark.

1) I've never had any problem with the Cell. Prior to the renovations, it was pretty "dry", but it's absolutely amazing what they've done in the last few years. It's a very good stadium that little by little is getting that baseball "feel" that everybody wants so badly.

2) Now this is the $64,000 question. I'm at work and don't have time to write the book that is required by this.

I think, before the lights were put in, Wrigley was a popular place for the yuppies at the Board of Trade or the Merc to go to play hookie. The "Bleacher Bum" craze was also popular, but I believe they only sold bleacher tickets on game days back then. Also, Wrigley is in a nicer neighborhood. All these things as well as the Tribune owning the Cubs, have added to their popularity over the years.

However, Cubs fans are still idiots who don't know s*** about baseball. I would never trade my years of misery to be a Cub fan. :fthecubs

I think,  before the lights were put in, Wrigley was a popular place for the yuppies at the Board of Trade or the Merc to go to play hookie. The "Bleacher Bum" craze was also popular, but I believe they only sold bleacher tickets on game days back then.  Also, Wrigley is in a nicer neighborhood.  All these things as well as the Tribune owning the Cubs, have added to their popularity over the years. 

However, Cubs fans are still idiots who don't know s*** about baseball.  I would never trade my years of misery to be a Cub fan.  :fthecubs

I'm not sure if it's in a nicer area. I'd say there is more recreational stuff out there to do but bridgeport has become a pretty nice area right around USCF.

1) The Cell is awesome. It has gotten so much better over the last couple or years and it's great.

2) The number of die hard knowledgeable fans are probably similar figures, in my estimation. It's the "cool" thing to do to be a Cubs fan, thats why they have so many damn fools as fans.

If you look at the crime statistics, I think you'd find that Wrigleyville/Lakeview is not the nice, safe neighborhood the Cub propagandists would have you believe.

USCF is a beautiful ballpark with all the amenities you could ask for, and as was mentioned earlier, THE BEST ballpark food around.

The Cubs own the casual fan or bandwagon fan, but Sox fans are passionate, baseball-smart and friendly ( there's a percentage who are not, of course, but the overwhelming majority are ).

Repeating a lot of what's been said but:

1. I don't think I've ever had a bad seat at the Cell (especially after the UD fix), and like others have said it has the best food in the Bigs. Plus, odds are you'll end up sitting next to a knowledgeable fan who you'll be able to talk baseball with during the game (you won't find that on the northside).

2. I agree that the diehards are probably even, but the casual fans choose Wrigley as a drinking hole and b/c they've done better lately. When the Sox are doing well, especially in the playoff years, the casual fans all shift to the South.

Welcome aboard :cheers

To be fair, I moved out of Chicago about 12 years ago, so I am really only speaking from memory. But I do recall construction workers finding bullet holes in the seats of "New Comiskey" while it was being built. Also, as a kid, I was not allowed to travel that far south on the El by myself, Wrigleyville was Ok though.

To be fair, I moved out of Chicago about 12 years ago, so I am really only speaking from memory.  But I do recall construction workers finding bullet holes in the seats of "New Comiskey" while it was being built.  Also, as a kid, I was not allowed to travel that far south on the El by myself, Wrigleyville was Ok though.

I'm pretty sure that bullethole thing was a myth.

1) The Cell is a fine stadium, I mean its not a throwback, its just a staduim built to have ameneties and allow you to watch a baseball game.

2) During the early 90's the White Sox were really starting to gain a lot of fans and popularity, but the strike really hit the South Side harder than the North Side. Many people think and thought that the Sox team that year had a good shot in the playoffs, and the fact Reisndorf was so strong in favor of the strike really hurt attendance in the years to follow. I believe prior to the strike year, the Sox outdrew the Cubs every year that New Comiskey was in existance.

SB

I never heard of the bullet holes and would be really suprised if that happened.

as far as traveling too far south? after the Sox35th stop you aren't going to be running into the safest of areas, but the area right around the park is pretty safe. go a bit further south and east and yeah, it gets a bit bad, but it's not nearly as dangerous as people make it seem.

1) You can only judge the Cell by your own experience. I've been their many times since the renovations and it gets better and better. The atmosphere is great, fans are great, the Big Board is great, the field is beautiful. The areas, within 5 blocks (all directions), is not bad at all. When you go to your first game, you'll love the Cell.

2) I've been wondering that myself.

To be fair, I moved out of Chicago about 12 years ago, so I am really only speaking from memory.  But I do recall construction workers finding bullet holes in the seats of "New Comiskey" while it was being built.  Also, as a kid, I was not allowed to travel that far south on the El by myself, Wrigleyville was Ok though.

Things have changed buddy its been 12 years! Bridgeport is pretty nice now.

During the early 90's the White Sox were really starting to gain a lot of fans and popularity, but the strike really hit the South Side harder than the North Side. Many people think and thought that the Sox team that year had a good shot in the playoffs, and the fact Reisndorf was so strong in favor of the strike really hurt attendance in the years to follow. I believe prior to the strike year, the Sox outdrew the Cubs every year that New Comiskey was in existance.

Not only did many people believe the sox had a good shot at the playoffs, but they also believed they had a good shot at going to the WS.

1. That depends on where you sit. Also becuase of a few morons, they have made a bad name for the rest of us.

2. Its the IN thing.. which I am sure most people here have mentioned.

There are 2 things that make the Cell a bad place

1. Location, most sox fans live in the Burbs of Chicago, and don't want to make the treck into the city only to get home by 11pm-12am after a weekday game.

2. The other side of the highway is bad, they are finally rebuilding over there but up until the recently most people were "Scared" to come down to the park.

and lastly we enjoy winning, if we have a team that can actually play well we show up.