Why not Alex Cora?

FlaCWS

I haven't read anything about Alex Cora recently. Are any teams pursuing this guy? He seems to me to be the perfect fit for what the White Sox need - an upgrade at 2B. The guy is one of the best glove men at the position and is a solid 8th or 9th place hitter. He hits for decent average and even has some pop. The White Sox don't need a top-of-the-order guy, since Podsednick will leadoff and probably Rowand or Uribe will hit 2nd ahead of Thomas, Konerko and Dye. So why not Cora?

If this Japanese guy is as good as advertised, the Sox will no doubt under-bid and lose out to a bigger spender. Why waste time with that? Besides, translating success in Japan to success in MLB is never a sure thing.

Just sign Cora, who will come cheaper and would be a perfect fit for this new "pitching and defense" philosophy. Factor in Joey Cora being a coach here and it makes even more sense... so much sense that it probably won't happen.

I haven't read anything about Alex Cora recently. Are any teams pursuing this guy? He seems to me to be the perfect fit for what the White Sox need - an upgrade at 2B. The guy is one of the best glove men at the position and is a solid 8th or 9th place hitter. He hits for decent average and even has some pop. The White Sox don't need a top-of-the-order guy, since Podsednick will leadoff and probably Rowand or Uribe will hit 2nd ahead of Thomas, Konerko and Dye. So why not Cora?

If this Japanese guy is as good as advertised, the Sox will no doubt under-bid and lose out to a bigger spender. Why waste time with that? Besides, translating success in Japan to success in MLB is never a sure thing.

Just sign Cora, who will come cheaper and would be a perfect fit for this new "pitching and defense" philosophy. Factor in Joey Cora being a coach here and it makes even more sense... so much sense that it probably won't happen.

Cora is Willie Harris without the speed or the potential.

1.) Only Kenny Willams knows whats going on. ( Flying under the radar)

2.) His agent is Scot Boras. ( Kenny's comments " I will not deal with Boras client)

3.) Bruce Levine knows someone in sox orginzation that gives him a booner of Aj because kenny already said his problems would not be good fit here. Let me guess his thinking changed. Highly unlikely

1.) Only Kenny Willams knows whats going on. ( Flying under the radar)

2.) His agent is Scot Boras. ( Kenny's comments " I will not deal with Boras client)

3.) Bruce Levine knows someone in sox orginzation that gives him a booner of Aj because kenny already said his problems would not be good fit here. Let me guess his thinking changed. Highly unlikely

Can you rephrase point #3, I don't understand what you're saying.

Wow, I disagree with that. Harris doesn't have Cora's glove.

Harris has better range and better speed, Cora handles the bat better and can also play SS which is a big plus.

There are pro's and cons each way, it all depends on how much of a future the White Sox think Willie Harris has. Cora is more of a solid guy where you know what you're getting.

I have my own preferred scenario.

Very interesting to see Robbie Alomar sign on with the Cardinals. As Rotoworld said, it's a non guaranteed deal so the Cardinals could very well bring in someone else, or they may just go with Alomar and Bo Hart.

Tampa seems to like Grudzalphabet, so the White Sox may have a good shot at whomever their first choice is.

Bruce levine last night on espn raido 1000 said that we have regain intrest in Aj Pierzynski. I also remember when Bruce Levine said this like 2 weeks ago and then Kenny Willams on Mlb.com before el duque signing that Aj known as Pierzynski would not fit in whitesox and said their intrest was not there. Like im saying I really don't think were even at all looking at Aj. Like I said Bruce Levine keeps rambling about him everytime whitesox rumors come up.

I would really like a platoon with Harris and Cairo. To me, Harris and Cora are very similar, and with the money Harris makes, why not give him another year. Also, Cairo handles LHP very well. Cairo should be less expensive, and might leave money for AJ.

I would really like a platoon with Harris and Cairo.  To me, Harris and Cora are very similar, and with the money Harris makes, why not give him another year. Also, Cairo handles LHP very well.  Cairo should be less expensive, and might leave money for AJ.

Very reasonable scenario, could happen.

I don't see why everyone rips on Harris. Not alot of player kick butt their first full year. I still think Harris has potential and I don't think Cora would be a huge upgrade like everyone talks about. Cora has only had one year that I would call good in his career and he was given alot more opportunities than Harris. I say stick with Harris and see how he steps up after his first full year. He got a taste of what it's like to start so give him another year.

Lets just compare the two stat wise:

Cora

MLB Experience: 7 yrs

Career BA: .246

Career OBP: .314

Career Fielding Pct: .975

Career High SB: 7

Last Year BA: .264

Last Year SB: 3

Last Year OBP: .364

Last Year Fielding Pct: .987

Harris

MLB Experience: 4 yrs

Career BA: .240

Career OBP: .305

Career Fielding Pct: .988

Career High SB: 19

Last Year BA: .262

Last Year SB: 19

Last Year OBP: .343

Last Year Fielding Pct: .983

Stats are similar but I still think Harris can turn it around.

For as similar as those stats are, I would rather keep harris and try to sign pierzynski or save the money for July. There is no reason to sign a FA just to sign a FA. Nobody including myself seems that sold a Cora, so why waste the money for him to suck.

By the way, I hate Pierzynski, as I'm sure many Sox fans and players do, but he is an upgrade and he is a solid bat.

Lets just compare the two stat wise:

Cora

MLB Experience: 7 yrs

Career BA: .246

Career OBP: .314

Career Fielding Pct: .975

Career High SB: 7

Last Year BA: .264

Last Year SB: 3

Last Year OBP: .364

Last Year Fielding Pct: .987

Harris

MLB Experience: 4 yrs

Career BA: .240

Career OBP: .305

Career Fielding Pct: .988

Career High SB: 19

Last Year BA: .262

Last Year SB: 19

Last Year OBP: .343

Last Year Fielding Pct: .983

Stats are similar but I still think Harris can turn it around.

This has been my point for weeks...

Cora is just Willie Harris three years from now. The only difference is less speed and range. I'm not sold on his better with the bat theory as he still hasn't put up really good offensive years back to back.

Considering he would cost at least a couple million more then Harris I'd rather have Harris in the 9 hole.

That being said I want this team to get Cairo and a catcher.

To me, Cora's main advantage is his glove. I watched a few Dodger games last year and don't recall seeing anyone else field his position as well as Cora did. I was very impressed with him in the field.

Willie has better range and speed, period. End of story.