Iguchi Close to Signing with Sox?

beck72

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
I hope it pans out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much...... Yet.

Of course. Until I hear from local media, this is only a rumor

It sounds like a lot of teams are scared off from Iguchi. He really only had 2 great seasons [in 03 and 04]. The rest were poor to avg. Rotoworld seems to think he's big upgrade over willie.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=6798

Jan. 5, 2005 - 4:09 am et

The White Sox are close to signing Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, the New York Post reports.

Iguchi likely would be a significant upgrade over Willie Harris for the White Sox. His 20 HR-20 SB ability would make him a very intriguing fantasy second baseman if he does sign.

Source:  New York Post

I'll believe it when he's signed. :pray But I do like the fact that Kenny isn't getting into any bidding wars with a guy that has only ever played in Japan. It's take it or leave it. Depending on what other teams are offering Pierzynski, I hope he negotiates a bit with him and ups the ante if need be.

I'm trying to keep myself unexcited right now but if this is true, wow, we're going to have one nice of a 1-2 at the top of the order and this would definitely allow us to move aaron down. I'm going to keep espn radio on see if anything comes up though I doubt it because Bruce is probably still sleeping, if anyone is listening to the score tell us if you hear anything.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
After glancing through the websites of Chicago area papers, I find no mention of an imminent Iguchi signing.

I did the same thing and found nothing, it's early and I'd think if true we'd here about it sometime in the local media within the hour, atleast I hope.......

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
I did the same thing and found nothing, it's early and I'd think if true we'd here about it sometime in the local media within the hour, atleast I hope.......

The only place I see it mentioned anywhere is the NY Post. I don't think this is anything to get excited about at this point.

I think that the New York Post is just assuming that the Sox are close to signing Iguchi because there are probably no other teams offering him as good of a deal as we are. Even the Yankees don't seem to be interested because they are more worried about Randy Johnson's contract extension. Everyone saw that Kaz Matsui wasn't all that great in his first season with the Mets and he's earning $20.1 million over 3 years from them so teams are probably reluctant to offer Iguchi the big bucks.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
Doesn't really change much then where we were at a few days ago, but mabye the post really has some evidence that were close. God, how nice would it be if Kenny signs Iggy and AJ on the same day????? :pray  :pray  :pray  :pray  :pray  :pray  :pray  :pray

If Kenny is able to turn Carlos Lee into Luis Vizcaino, Scott Podsednik, Orlando Hernandez, AJ Pierzynski, and Tadahito Iguchi... Then, wow...

I'll say this though, be careful what you wish for. Like Beck said, he's really only had two good seasons. I hope we aren't paying a fortune for his services, even though he'd be a nice upgrade over Harris. A two year deal with a third year option sounds right...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Isn't the NY Post kinda tabloidish?  When I hear Levine talks about it, then I will listen.

My thoughts exactly, they've probably reported a lot of rumors this off-season that haven't panned out. My thinking is now though, which teams besides us would be in the Iguchi market? Seattle signed Pokey Reese to be their SS, so they're out. Toronto perhaps, but I'm struggling to come up with a suitable list of teams, that A - want a 2B / SS, B - want to take a chance on Iguchi and C - are willing to give him about $5 million over the next few seasons.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Rotoworld seems to think he's  big upgrade over willie.

That's a statement about their perception of Willie at least as much as of Iguchi. There aren't many warm bodies Willie would rank above if Rotoworld were making the lineup.

I still don't understand all the excitement over this guy, he still seems to be very much an unknown quantity (especially his fielding).