Score just reported Sox sign AJ

103 mph screwball

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
you bet I completely agree. two more players will be added and hopefully Harris gone. Just my opinion, Not trying to even start a conversation with all the Willie ass kissers out there. If they sign ignuchi willie will be traded or reassigned.

Isn't the reason for getting another infielder to add depth? I do not see us getting rid of willie if we sign an infielder.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they sign ignuchi willie will be traded or reassigned.

Hmmm ...

If they only sign Iguchi which I feel is a better than 50/50 proposition, they may hang onto Harris. That all depends on something we do not know ... if Iguchi can or will play SS. We don't know if his shoulder prevents him from doing so.

If they do what I think they might do ... sign both Iguchi and Alex Cora, then Harris goes. I am not so certain they don't have the $$ to sign both. We are all assuming they don't but remember they haven't started paying players yet. Things change in spring training.

Concur with you about not wanting to get into the Willie discussion, it's been beaten to death, I'm as guilty as anyone. If they cannot get Iguchi on the dotted line, and think Alex Cora fits better ... then Willie goes bye bye.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
Isn't the reason for getting another infielder to add depth? I do not see us getting rid of willie if we sign an infielder.

Actually Qwerty, what I am saying although many would disagree, is that they don't want harris. I am saying that if they sign ignuchi, they will also sign another back up middle infielder, and get rid of Harris. if they don't sign Ignuchi then I believe they should sign Cairo, and then they will keep harris. I am not a Harris Fan, this is just what I think they will do. Just my opinion.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Hmmm ...

If they only sign Iguchi which I feel is a better than 50/50 proposition, they may hang onto Harris.  That all depends on something we do not know ... if Iguchi can or will play SS.  We don't know if his shoulder prevents him from doing so.

If they do what I think they might do ... sign both Iguchi and Alex Cora, then Harris goes.  I am not so certain they don't have the $$ to sign both.  We are all assuming they don't but remember they haven't started paying players yet.  Things change in spring training.

Concur with you about not wanting to get into the Willie discussion, it's been beaten to death, I'm as guilty as anyone.  If they cannot get Iguchi on the dotted line, and think Alex Cora fits better ... then Willie goes bye bye.

ignucho is not being signed to be a backup.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Hmmm ...

If they only sign Iguchi which I feel is a better than 50/50 proposition, they may hang onto Harris.  That all depends on something we do not know ... if Iguchi can or will play SS.  We don't know if his shoulder prevents him from doing so.

If they do what I think they might do ... sign both Iguchi and Alex Cora, then Harris goes.  I am not so certain they don't have the $$ to sign both.  We are all assuming they don't but remember they haven't started paying players yet.  Things change in spring training.

Concur with you about not wanting to get into the Willie discussion, it's been beaten to death, I'm as guilty as anyone.  If they cannot get Iguchi on the dotted line, and think Alex Cora fits better ... then Willie goes bye bye.

Ignuchi will not be signed to be a backup

Actually Qwerty, what I am saying although many would disagree, is that they don't want harris. I am saying that if they sign ignuchi, they will also sign another back up middle infielder, and get rid of Harris. if they don't sign Ignuchi then I believe they should sign Cairo, and then they will keep harris. I am not a Harris Fan, this is just what I think they will do. Just my opinion.

Think about it.

The White Sox, as presently constituted, are in no mood for growing pains. They will want to make damn sure they've got veteran help in the wings in case Uribe gets too fat or Harris can't improve. And not just roster filler backup guys, like Dransfeldt. Capable, proven guys. Can you say Alex Cora, who is a guy who's sniffed the playoffs in his career. Cairo is ok too, but only part of the equation.

Iguchi ... not MLB experienced, but age 30, no kid, and Japanese baseball is not the same but it's very competitive. They know what pressure is. Shingo is a good example, not to generalize but those players understand performing under pressure.

Harris ... may grow into the role but do the Sox want to wait? This is a go-for-it team. Pitching all locked up, Pierzynski signed. Plus you have an inexperienced starting SS. Do the White Sox want to push for a division title with an inexperienced keystone combo? I say no.

It doesn't matter what I think, but what I think they'll do is change the middle IF around. Crede is not going anywhere, they don't think he'll perform any worse and he is solid defensively. Konerko is not going anywhere right now, sorry TQ, pay up the pitcherssss. Look what they tried to do at SS, they tried to upgrade with a veteran, didn't get him.

And they're trying to upgrade at 2B as well. Smart. Some here may not think these other guys are an upgrade over Harris but guess what ... KW does.

Hang on folks, there is at least one more move coming. I would guess two.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
Hmmm ...

I read an article i think two summers ago now that iguchi will never play short stop again. Unless if there is an injury in the game and he is the only other player capable of it. Something to that affect. I still do nto understand why anyone wants a more expensive willie harris in cora.

Sorry for the triple post ... server issues?

Qwerty ... what you don't seem to be getting is White Sox management appears to have a problem w/ Harris. First they tried to sign Vizquel and Uribe would've played a lot of 2b. Now they're talking to Iguchi. Cora has also been mentioned.

Forget about cheaper versions of players for a second. The issue is, they have a beef with Harris. When you have Dave Wills ripping into Harris, that tells you something. They just signed AJ Pierzynski, does that sound like they want guys on the team who are timid, scared? No they don't.

Guillen by all accounts is not a fan of Harris. They are looking at other second basemen. It all fits.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Per Cbssportsline.com

Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi is close to reaching an agreement with the White Sox, says the New York Post.

Help may be on the way.  Hang in there.

That was reported yesterday, get with the program :P

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)

Qwerty ... what you don't seem to be getting is White Sox management appears to have a problem w/ Harris.  First they tried to sign Vizquel and Uribe would've played a lot of 2b.  Now they're talking to Iguchi.  Cora has also been mentioned. 

Forget about cheaper versions of players for a second.  The issue is, they have a beef with Harris.  When you have Dave Wills ripping into Harris, that tells you something.  They just signed AJ Pierzynski, does that sound like they want guys on the team who are timid, scared?  No they don't.

Guillen by all accounts is not a fan of Harris.  They are looking at other second basemen.  It all fits.

I had three or four of the same post too then they would not delete for me.

Still does not make sense. If they are not a fan of willie why are they a fan of cora's? Just because of his brother?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
I ahd three or four of the same post too then they would not delete for me.

Still does not make sense. If they are not a fan of willie why are they a fan of cora's? Just because of his brother?

Intangibles.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
Think about it.

The White Sox, as presently constituted, are in no mood for growing pains.  They will want to make damn sure they've got veteran help in the wings in case Uribe gets too fat or Harris can't improve.  And not just roster filler backup guys, like Dransfeldt.  Capable, proven guys.  Can you say Alex Cora, who is a guy who's sniffed the playoffs in his career.  Cairo is ok too, but only part of the equation.

Iguchi ... not MLB experienced, but age 30, no kid, and Japanese baseball is not the same but it's very competitive.  They know what pressure is.  Shingo is a good example, not to generalize but those players understand performing under pressure. 

Harris ... may grow into the role but do the Sox want to wait?  This is a go-for-it team.  Pitching all locked up, Pierzynski signed.  Plus you have an inexperienced starting SS.  Do the White Sox want to push for a division title with an inexperienced keystone combo?  I say no.

It doesn't matter what I think, but what I think they'll do is change the middle IF around.  Crede is not going anywhere, they don't think he'll perform any worse and he is solid defensively.  Konerko is not going anywhere right now, sorry TQ, pay up the pitcherssss.  Look what they tried to do at SS, they tried to upgrade with a veteran, didn't get him.

And they're trying to upgrade at 2B as well.  Smart.  Some here may not think these other guys are an upgrade over Harris but guess what ... KW does.

Hang on folks, there is at least one more move coming.  I would guess two.

Well again I agree with you but are you agreeing with me or not?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)

With Cora you know what your getting; he's a vet.

We still have no idea what we have in Willie Harris and add to that the fact that Willie has rubbed many important members of the Sox organization the wrong way.

19 stolen bases in 04'!? Eh', you all know how I feel about Willie.

So long Willie, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)

Qwerty ... what you don't seem to be getting is White Sox management appears to have a problem w/ Harris.  First they tried to sign Vizquel and Uribe would've played a lot of 2b.  Now they're talking to Iguchi.  Cora has also been mentioned. 

Forget about cheaper versions of players for a second.  The issue is, they have a beef with Harris.  When you have Dave Wills ripping into Harris, that tells you something.  They just signed AJ Pierzynski, does that sound like they want guys on the team who are timid, scared?  No they don't.

Guillen by all accounts is not a fan of Harris.  They are looking at other second basemen.  It all fits.

i totally agree, ozzie does not want harris. They will go after other players. thank god.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
With Cora you know what your getting; he's a vet.

We still have no idea what we have in Willie Harris and add to that the fact that Willie has rubbed many important members of the Sox organization the wrong way.

19 stolen bases in 04'!?  Eh', you all know how I feel about Willie.

So long Willie, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Do we really know what we are gonna get from cora? His numbers jump up and down so much year to year.

This is encouraging, he hit just .212 from July 25 on.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
Do we really know what we are gonna get from cora? His numbers jump up and down so much year to year.

Qwerty, I think they are loking for somebody that is fundementally sound in many aspects of the game. Somebody that will do what OZzie and the coaches ask. Soembody that plays hard nosed ball, keeps others involved, always keeps trying, always plays the game hard.

I ahd three or four of the same post too then they would not delete for me.

Yeah, I tried to delete two of mine and got an error message. Maybe it's better that way :D

Your last two sentences are still putting your own value judgements on the two players. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. My point is not what I think or what we think about players, it's watching what the White Sox are doing and trying to draw conclusions.

You know the history.

- Harris says he's tentative on the basepaths.

- Guillen does the eye roll at Harris' end of season comments.

- Guillen showed little faith in Harris to begin with.

- Guillen states he will speak up more because now, no one can tell him what guys can and can't do.

- Acquisitions have been made which clearly fit Guillen's philosophy.

- The White Sox postgame guy who rarely if ever rips on a player makes disparaging remarks about Harris.

- Most importantly, the White Sox are courting at least one other 2B if not two. And one of the guys has zero MLB experience, from Japan.

All of the above clearly tell me they have no faith in Harris. Doesn't make them right, or wrong. But those are all pretty clear signals to me.

That's why I think Iguchi is Target A. If they sign him, they will bring in a high level utility guy, like Cairo or maybe a trade.

If they don't sign him, I think it's Alex Cora and a utility guy and Harris is out.

Two more moves in my opinion. Or should I say two additions, one subtraction.

Again, this is just what I think they'll do. If it happens, we can analyze then.l

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Qwerty, I think they are loking for somebody that is fundementally sound in many aspects of the game. Somebody that will do what OZzie and the coaches ask. Soembody that plays hard nosed ball, keeps others involved, always keeps trying, always plays the game hard.

That's the reason right there.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
I really like this move. We needed the extra bat. Hopefully Iguchi is next. Honestly, I don't know much about him, but someone told me he batted like .330 with 20 hr. That should transfer well enough. Also, does he bat left or right?

Right handed.