XM RADIO

Leonard Zelig

Hey all, being an out of town Sox fan, I am very excited about the XM Radio/MLB deal that is starting this season. However, I am having a hard time figuring out which model of tuner I should get. I want to be able to listen at home, in my car, and at work, if possible. If anybody who has XM could offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The most expensive one is that new Myphi. I got it for christmas from my parents cause it was made for like everything. The problem was it had horrible reception so I returned it for a far cheaper one.

Its not quite as mobile but works great. However, for using at all 3 places that one sounds good.

I have the Delphi SkyFi2. Its like 99 bucks and then you get the car kit for like 49 and if you want a home kit you can pick it up and when I got it there was a sale at circuit city where you got the car kit and home kit for 49 bucks total.

With the home kit you just plug it into a stereo system and it will work. If you wanted it at both home and work you could go this route and I guess get two home kits or just bring your home kit different places if you wanted to.

Works really good though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
The most expensive one is that new Myphi.  I got it for christmas from my parents cause it was made for like everything.  The problem was it had horrible reception so I returned it for a far cheaper one.

Any idea why the reception was so bad?

I have the Delphi SkyFi and the only thing I dont like about it is the antenna has to face a certain direction in the sky for it to work. With my house I can only use it in certain rooms because thats the only place i can get reception. Also I have to put the antenna out my window or else it wont pick up anything.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)
I have the Delphi SkyFi and the only thing I dont like about it is the antenna has to face a certain direction in the sky for it to work. With my house I can only use it in certain rooms because thats the only place i can get reception. Also I have to put the antenna out my window or else it wont pick up anything.

I'd be interested in more "reception quality" type of information.

• 2 months later...

As an update on this, I got the MyFi recently and it works great from both the home and the car.

It can also be used as a portable, the only XM receiver at this time which can do that.

BestBuy currently has it on sale for 299.99 with a free basic installation for the car.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1093468786483

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
The sound quality and reception on Sirius is inferior frankly. Which is a shame because the programming is clearly superior. Better music, better talk.

I don't know about XM...haven't heard it...I'm fine with my reception.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
For me its all about Howard Stern...since I can get all my baseball.  I know its differnet for you out-of-staters.

They've been advertising Stern since the middle of last year and he doesn't even come until 2006.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
The sound quality and reception on Sirius is inferior frankly. Which is a shame because the programming is clearly superior. Better music, better talk.

Do you have XM or Sirius?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
He has a contract to finish with KROCK in New York...

Exactly, the point is, he is one of their main attractions right now and he's not even on the air with Sirius.

A lot of people are getting Sirius now because of Stern, yet you can't even listen to him on there until January.

Personally, I don't understand buying Sirius now for Stern if he doesn't come on until then but that's just me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
SS2k4, I noticed XM's stock is at around 30 and Sirius is at around 5.

Do you know anything about either of these stocks?

Nope, I don't get to follow stocks where I am, just futures. Now ask me about OJ or Pork Belly's and I can help you out. ;)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 12, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
SS2k4, I noticed XM's stock is at around 30 and Sirius is at around 5.

Do you know anything about either of these stocks?

Sirius is at 5 because its subscriber base, revenue streams and market penetration is less than half of what XM has. Couple that with a much heavier debt load and a business plan that hinges entirely on Sirius's success with getting people to pay to listen to Stern. Something that didn't work for XM when they did the same thing for O&A.