Sox Needs Power Hitter and Middle IF

Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
With Florida already having an outfield of Miggy Cabrera, Juan Pierre and Juan Encarcion, it's hard to really see them wanting Everett, unless they can get rid of Encarcion first. They need bullpen help, and another 5th starter could come in handy, since a lot of their starters get injured.

Believe it or not marlins fans at least would take everett over encarcion any day of the week. They always have threads bashin ghim over there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 04:22 AM)
The sox still have enough power and I'm not getting back to the willie harris argument that has been worn out.

Good response ROW! I too am getting tired of this constant rehash. KW said long ago that Willie would be the 2B. I think he will follow his own plan whether that be Plan A or ZZZ. It is interesting to consider the Japanese possibility though.

We dont need more power. We have the kind of park where anybody can hit homers. AJ will probably hit 15-20 homers, Crede will probably hit 25 homers, Dye will probably hit 25-30 homers, Kong will probably hit 40 homers, Uribe 25...we have no need for any power.

As of right now, I think the only need on the Sox is a backup 2B/SS guy who can hit LHP well. That's ALL we need.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Why do you think everyone sucks?

Did I say he sucks? No But i don't think he's all that. If he signs and he does good great. But he hasn't proven nothing and only has had a few decent/good seasons in Japan. What makes you guys think he'll be all that in the US? That's the Question ;)

So Kenny, what really happened back when we the chance to sign Ichiro?

"I was all for it. In fact it was the definitive example of a 'done deal' that didn't happen. What happened was that I got this email asking 'Just what has this guy proven in the majors?' from a guy named Josh in Puerto Rico. And well, it got me to thinking about it and ...... "

;)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
So Kenny, what really happened back when we the chance to sign Ichiro?

"I was all for it.  In fact it was the definitive example of a 'done deal' that didn't happen.  What happened was that I got this email asking 'Just what has this guy proven in the majors?' from a guy named Josh in Puerto Rico.  And well, it got me to thinking about it and ...... "

;)

God Man Sheesh!!

Ahem. Ichiro was a hell of a ball player in Japan. Iguchi wasn't very good untill last year in Japan. If anybody reads what i say well. I've if they sign him and he's an impact player great. BUT MANY HERE are banking on it. I don't He could turn out to be Ichiro or Similar or Shinjo or Kazao Matzui. I'm not gonna say our season is down the drain if we don't sign this guy.

Yes he's unproven, that's what i meant and if he chokes well... So read into what i say... :headshake ;)

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
God Man Sheesh!!

Ahem. Ichiro was a hell of a ball player in Japan. Iguchi wasn't very good untill last year in Japan. If anybody reads what i say well. I've if they sign him and he's an impact player great. BUT MANY HERE are banking on it. I don't He could turn out to be Ichiro or Similar or Shinjo or Kazao Matzui. I'm not gonna say our season is down the drain if we don't sign this guy.

Yes he's unproven, that's what i meant and if he chokes well... So read into what i say...  :headshake  ;)

Hey Josh. That post was so very tongue-in-cheek. Just having a little fun.

The thing that impresses us about Igs is that something seemed to click for him after his surgery in 2003/04. He's got solid OBP & SLG #'s since then.

Add to that the fact he avg'd 40+ SB's/yr over that time & he seems tailor made for the CWS. Then we read he put up those numbers in a park comparable to Safeco Field & we're salivating at what he can do in the Cell in a division where 3/5th's of the rotations are below average.

Long term we are thinking of the impact. There is a large asian community in Chicago & it's a known fact some of them came out with Shingo's success. If the CWS could expand their asian connection that gives them a unique character of Spanglese. That's something you can market well.

So both long term & short term this move looks really good for the CWS.

But if Igs is not an option I would opt for Durham. He's got a nice combination of speed, power, & good D. SFG would only trade him to free up cash so he can likely be had for 2005 at 5M.

I think Castillo, Rollins, Polanco are all going to cost too much in both $'s & talent. If you trade for them you are all but certain committed to signing them to a multi-year deal. The talent you have to give up to get them will demand that.

Larkin is still an option but I'd rather have Durham. Soriano is not an option. He will make close to 8M in 2005 & a multi-year is looking to be no less than 24/3. He may prove us wrong & be worth 10M/yr but I don't see it yet. The potential is there though.