Back Up Shortstop

bogie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
It'll be Valdez, they don't have anyone else who can play SS and Uribe will need a day off every once in a while.

This is why we need to get rid of Harris as soon as a replacement secondbasemen in signed. They need to either trade him or place him in AAA because there is no room at all for him on this team. He's either the starting secondbasemen or he's worthless to us. We need guys on the bench who can play more then one position. He doesn't fit.

Hopefully we can trade for him for some type of barely holding on MIF with more defensive versatility then he has.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Harris can play more than one position.

Ok let me clarify...

We need INFIELDERS on the bench who can play more then one INFIELD position.

Harris playing CF might be a nice for a team that didn't have 5 outfielders already but it's useless for us.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Ok let me clarify...

We need INFIELDERS on the bench who can play more then one INFIELD position.

Harris playing CF might be a nice for a team that didn't have 5 outfielders already but it's useless for us.

Thanks for clearing up your point :P

The only two veteran SS's still out there as free agents are Barry Larkin and Rich Aurilia.

Assuming Iguchi signs, seems to me the Sox could:

1. Let Valdez and Ozuna fight it out for the backup IF spot.

2. Bring in a veteran SS like one of the two above, have them split time with Uribe at SS, and let Uribe play some 2B and 3B like last year.

3. Trade.

I have been thinking about this and may be way off, but if they do sign Iguchi the chances are very great he will get every opportunity to win the 2B starting job. Otherwise why would he come to the U.S.? I also doubt Iguchi is brought in strictly to platoon ... that means he'd play only against LH pitching. Again, doesn't make much sense.

The best 2B the White Sox have right now is Uribe. Uribe is also their best SS. I am finding it very hard to believe Sox mgmt. is willing to go with a largely unproven guy at SS like Uribe and also have a rookie backup like Valdez/Ozuna.

To complicate matters, there are question marks about Iguchi (unproven at this level) and also Harris (its been beaten to death on this board).

That's a ton of question marks for a contending team, with the highest payroll in the division ... and at two critical positions like SS and 2B.

Things could work out just fine, everybody might perform to expectations but then again they might not.

By the way, the best 3B they have might well be Uribe as well. I think Crede will come on, but again, it's another big question mark.

I do not know if Rich Aurilia or Barry Larkin would even consider coming here, especially Larkin. But if I am KW, I would bring one of them in (I prefer Larkin), it gives you a much stronger infield and a deep bench. And you use Ozuna or Valdez in case somebody gets hurt.

Larkin/Aurilia starts 90 games or so at SS, Uribe the other 70+. Uribe gets a bunch of time at 2B and SS, and gives Guillen managing flexibility.

This is why we need to get rid of Harris as soon as a replacement secondbasemen in signed. They need to either trade him or place him in AAA because there is no room at all for him on this team. He's either the starting secondbasemen or he's worthless to us. We need guys on the bench who can play more then one position. He doesn't fit.

Hopefully we can trade for him for some type of barely holding on MIF with more defensive versatility then he has.

Oh my goodness, :headbang .

We have bumped heads on this whole Harris thing but we see this situation exactly the same. I agree with you, if they sign Iguchi I just do not see a place for Harris.

Regardless of my personal feelings about the player, I cannot see how he fits.

You guys are hilarious. :D

BTW, I looked up Pablo Ozuna and he definitely plays SS, 2B, and has done some time in CF as well. Have not seen any evidence to suggest he's played 3B though.

Stands to reason Uribe is, essentially, the backup 3B. Unless Burke makes the team, which is a possibility. I like the idea of having some speed come off the bench though.

Here is an interesting question to ponder, does Harris have minor league options left? Who is set up to be Charlotte's starting 2B? Certainly not suggesting this is the best option for the White Sox but it'd be interesting to know all the possibilities.

In all sincerity, this is what I would like to see happen.

Step 1: Sign Iguchi.

Step 2: Test the trade market for Harris. In my trade thread, I mentioned Harris amongst the Sox I figured to be expendable. Although some of us have issues with Harris on the Southside ;) , there are many teams out there that would like a rangey, speedy second baseman. If Harris can bring in a utlity MI on a MLB roster or 2 prospects in high A ball, I think that is the route Kenny should go. I know some of you would like Harris to come off the bench as a glorified "pinch runner," but look at last year's steals total. That was the final nail in the coffin. Although Rock may be able to improve his read on the basepaths, I don't think he'd make the improvements necessary to develop into a Juan Pierre or even the Sox's own Scooter Podsednik.

Step 3: If the market for Harris is worse than anticipated, hold on to the goofball. In the very least, he can spot start and pinch run if necessary; then, dump him when you feel confident in either a farmhand for our own system or a gritty vet via free agency.

Thoughts...?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
In all sincerity, this is what I would like to see happen.

I know some of you would like Harris to come off the bench as a glorified "pinch runner," but look at last year's steals total.  That was the final nail in the coffin.

It was his first full god damn year in the bigs! Geez some people here give up on a kid so fast. Anyone who bats .250+ with a .340 obp in their first year should really look on the positive side not the negative. Ok, he didnt get 50+ bases like we thought he would but he he would have been playing regularly, I think he might have at least swiped 30 bags. Man I remember when most of the people here were saying give Crede a break it's his second year. Why not Harris? If we do get Iguchi good, but I would have Harris to split time, get some at-bats, and maybe get him in winter ball to work on hitting lefties. He's a good talent to have to the club. Jeckle, I would rather you not have a change in heart on this guy. If you like what you see, keep defending him. Cause there's people here who do have your back, or know what their talking about.

It was his first full god damn year in the bigs! Geez some people here give up on a kid so fast. Anyone who bats .250+ with a .340 obp in their first year should really look on the positive side not the negative. Ok, he didnt get 50+ bases like we thought he would but he he would have been playing regularly, I think he might have at least swiped 30 bags. Man I remember when most of the people here were saying give Crede a break it's his second year. Why not Harris? If we do get Iguchi good, but I would have Harris to split time, get some at-bats, and maybe get him in winter ball to work on hitting lefties. He's a good talent to have to the club. Jeckle, I would rather you not have a change in heart on this guy. If you like what you see, keep defending him. Cause there's people here who do have your back, or know what their talking about.

Valid points.

A question for you though ... let's assume for a sec they sign Iguchi. Do you think he would come over from Japan without some assurance he will at the very least get first crack at the starting job?

Also, do you think the White Sox would pay $2.9M for two years guaranteed for a guy to come over and platoon at one position?

It is not so much that the fans have a problem with Harris. Our opinions on a message board matter very little, to be blunt. To me, it's a huge concern when those associated with the team appear to have multiple problems with Harris. Huge red flag.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Valid points.

A question for you though ... let's assume for a sec they sign Iguchi.  Do you think he would come over from Japan without some assurance he will at the very least get first crack at the starting job?

Also, do you think the White Sox would pay $2.9M for two years guaranteed for a guy to come over and platoon at one position?

It is not so much that the fans have a problem with Harris.  Our opinions on a message board matter very little, to be blunt.  To me, it's a huge concern when those associated with the team appear to have multiple problems with Harris.  Huge red flag.

Jim, if Iguchi comes over here he's going to be the starter. Like I've stated numerous times I have no problem with Willie but I like the advantages that comes with Iguchi, now I agree with you and Jeckle that if Iguchi is signed Willie might have to be made expendable to grab a utility guy, jmo.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
I know some of you would like Harris to come off the bench as a glorified "pinch runner," but look at last year's steals total.  That was the final nail in the coffin.  Although Rock may be able to improve his read on the basepaths, I don't think he'd make the improvements necessary to develop into a Juan Pierre or even the Sox's own Scooter Podsednik.

Thoughts...?

You act like he cant get any better. Do you honestly think he will only get 25 steals next year? He will definitely improve. Another thing, you have too high expectations for him- expecting him to steal 50 bases and turn into Juan pierre or Spod. This will be his 2nd year!

Jim, if Iguchi comes over here he's going to be the starter. 

Yes, I think that's a fair assumption.

And if you were White Sox management, you'd probably want a safety net for 2B in case Iguchi is a bust, yes? I know I would. And not a rookie ... a proven guy.

To me, that means either a trade for a veteran utility guy, ala Graffanino or someone like him, or bring in a safety net at SS and use Uribe as a guy who could pick up the slack at 2B if necessary.

There are really no FA's left at 2B.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
You act like he cant get any better.  Do you honestly think he will only get 25 steals next year?  He will definitely improve.  Another thing, you have too high expectations for him- expecting him to steal 50 bases and turn into Juan pierre or Spod.  This will be his 2nd year!

I don't expect Harris to be either Pierre or Podsednik, but some around here talk about Willie like he'll develop into a prolific basestealer and I just don't see that happening.

...and as I've said in the past, if Harris rights the ship, I'll be the first in line to offer my congrats.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Valid points.

A question for you though ... let's assume for a sec they sign Iguchi.  Do you think he would come over from Japan without some assurance he will at the very least get first crack at the starting job?

It is not so much that the fans have a problem with Harris.  Our opinions on a message board matter very little, to be blunt.  To me, it's a huge concern when those associated with the team appear to have multiple problems with Harris.  Huge red flag.

I understand where your comming from and yes, Iguchi will get the starting job. I'm saying Harris has the ability to play more than one position. It's good cause he can play center, or if someone gets injured in the OF play there since Pods or ARow can play LF or CF. He can play second to give Iguchi a break or play 2nd and let Valdez play SS to give Uribe a breather. Harris will get his at-bats and IMO, his average will climb a bit this season just because he doesn't have to be forced to bat lefties. When it's all said and done I would be happy to see Harris bat .260-.270 20-30+ .340-.350. range. Definitely not out of the question. He can go to winter ball and bat against mostly all lefties, get experience, come back the following year more confident and ability to come through instead of eight times out of ten being an automatic out against a lefty.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)

Agreed. Why the hell is everyone acting like Willie is Mike Caruso? Everyone is so quick to get him off the roster like he has nothing to offer.

1. He's young.

2. He's got great speed.

3. He's very good defensively.

4. He's had 1 full season.

He has the talent to be a Major League 2B. Some of you want to replace Harris will Valdez or Ozuna??!! WTF is that about? I know most of you have some anger toward Willie, but truthfully he had a pretty good season for his 1st season. If he was given this whole 2005 season to start, chances are he would improve on his stats last year.

Some of you have just gotten out of hand with your distaste for Willie.

A bench of...

Davis

Perez

Gload

Valdez/Ozuna

Harris

...covers everything. Willie can play a little CF if necessary, but most likely won't be with Rowand and Podsednik.