Back Up Shortstop

bogie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
I don't expect Harris to be either Pierre or Podsednik, but some around here talk about Willie like he'll develop into a prolific basestealer and I just don't see that happening.

I do. You don't steal damn near 80+ stolen bases in the minors and just automatically "lose the touch." Harris will have more confidense thanx to the Rock and won't have much pressure since Pods will probably lead the team. Also, Harris won't be the only one. Since ARow, Uribe and even Iguchi (we will probably get him) will get more playing time I expect them to get around 20-30+ easily for us and Harris chipping in his 20+ (if that stolen bases.) Ozzie has big plans for the kid and if Harris is more confident of his ability like his mouth, I think he'll be fine.

Disclaimer: This is not a rumor; nor is it hearsay; nor is it conjecture of any kind.

Just trying to gauge peoples' interest; if there was a deal set where Kenny would send Willie Harris for Tony G., would you do it?

I would not do it, here is why.

One, I hate trading within the division. The Sox rarely do it, haven't traded with KC in 15 years if my memory is holding up.

Two, Graffanino has big health question marks. Labrum surgery, yikes.

Three, I believe there are teams who think they can get the talent out of Harris and would pony up more than a 33 yr. old utility guy. I would swap him for a pitching prospect, maybe a good bullpen arm with upside.

But that's just me, and I am certainly not in the inner circle.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Yes, I think that's a fair assumption.

And if you were White Sox management, you'd probably want a safety net for 2B in case Iguchi is a bust, yes?  I know I would.  And not a rookie ... a proven guy.

To me, that means either a trade for a veteran utility guy, ala Graffanino or someone like him, or bring in a safety net at SS and use Uribe as a guy who could pick up the slack at 2B if necessary.

There are really no FA's left at 2B.

He's called Willie Harris.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Davis

Perez

Gload

Valdez/Ozuna

Harris

Add in Burke and Everett later in the season (Carl will get alot of playing time since we are paying the $$ he's getting) and we have a deep bench. I like what they all bring and we can get alot of guys some time off. I think Dye will last the whole season because of this since he's been known to bite the injury bug..

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
I would not do it, here is why.

One, I hate trading within the division.  The Sox rarely do it, haven't traded with KC in 15 years if my memory is holding up.

Two, Graffanino has big health question marks.  Labrum surgery, yikes.

Three, I believe there are teams who think they can get the talent out of Harris and would pony up more than a 33 yr. old utility guy.  I would swap him for a pitching prospect, maybe a good bullpen arm with upside.

But that's just me, and I am certainly not in the inner circle.

Graffy loves it in KC. This is really out of the question. He likes it there because damn near all of the players are his religion and all of them get along really well. (read this in an article a while back) I don't know if I want a guy who had two major surgeries on him at all.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
Yes, I think that's a fair assumption.

And if you were White Sox management, you'd probably want a safety net for 2B in case Iguchi is a bust, yes?  I know I would.  And not a rookie ... a proven guy.

To me, that means either a trade for a veteran utility guy, ala Graffanino or someone like him, or bring in a safety net at SS and use Uribe as a guy who could pick up the slack at 2B if necessary.

There are really no FA's left at 2B.

I agree 100 percent.

I think Willie could be a solid starting 2B if Ozzie gave him some playing time. However guys like Jim and Addison are right he does have attitude problems. If he ends up on our bench in 05 then it leaves us with only one guy in Uribe who can play SS. I would much rather have Ozuna and Valdez on the bench then Harris. Not to mention if you look at his first years as a part time player they were far from impressive (remember when he could barely break the Mendoza line). As a starting 2B he's servicable but he's not a bench player.

If we could trade him for Tony G. I'd do it in a heartbeat as long as he passes a physical.

1.  We aren't trading Willie.

2.  There are no better options for the 5th bench spot if Iguchi is signed.

Totally disagree.

IMO they will carry 11 ptichers, that means 14 player spots. Let's assume Frank starts on the DL. Let's further assume they sign Iguchi.

OF: Rowand, Podsednik, Dye, Perez

IF: Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Gload

C: Pierzynski, Davis

DH: Everett

That leaves two spots, and one of those spots warms the bench until Frank comes back.

They need a guy who can play SS, 2B, 3B. They do not need another guy who can play CF, they already have Rowand, Pods, Perez, and heck even Everett can play there if absolutely necessary.

If Iguchi signs, Harris doesn't fit. Personally I do not want a pinch runner who's tentative on the basepaths.

Basically you are looking at one utility spot because Frank "might" be ready, at worst ready by June.

Harris cannot play SS, he doesn't fit.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
True, i just wish he would learn how to take a walk.

Yea, but you wish that on alot of people (Pierz) :lol:

I definitely agree though. But I'll since his track record of hitting in the minors and his little time he had here (I really liked what I saw in him) anyday.

That spot has Valdez written all over him.

Could be. Could be Ozuna too.

That's an awfully unproven infield in the grand scheme of things though. Uribe is a talent, no doubt but let's face it he is unproven as a full season starting SS. I realize you have to start somewhere, be given a chance.

Iguchi is unproven. Crede has big question marks.

My sense is this team is more about trying to win vs. developing players on the active roster. Every team has holes, winning teams have depth and a backup plan.

Personally, I would like an experienced smart guy who can handle the bat and play all 3 IF positions ... or bring in a safety net at SS to split time with Uribe and have Uribe be the safety net for 2B and 3B.

But there is a strong likelihood the last spot will simply be a battle between Wilson Valdez and Pablo Ozuna. Even still, if that's the case, Uribe is likely your backup 3B.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
If Iguchi signs, Harris doesn't fit.  Personally I do not want a pinch runner who's tentative on the basepaths.

Perfect. Again, do our opinions matter? No. Do opinions of some of the members of the Sox organization that have fingered Harris as an attitude problem matter? Yes.

...and if the attitude problem alone doesn't merit a dump; if Iguchi signs we have no need for Harris and that is more than enough for me.

Feelings aside, if Iguchi is brought in, the Sox truly have no spot for him except the bench; and how is Wee Willie supposed to mature as a baseball player and reach his "supposed" full potential riding the pine?

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Yea, but you wish that on alot of people (Pierz) :lol:

I definitely agree though. But I'll since his track record of hitting in the minors and his little time he had here (I really liked what I saw in him) anyday.

Pierz still does need to walk more. ;)

If Iguchi signs, here is the roster:

Pitchers: Buehrle, Garcia, Hernandez, Garland, Contreras, Politte, Vizcaino, Hermanson, Marte, Cotts, Takatsu (11)

Position Players: Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Perez, Pierzynski, Davis, Valdez, Gload. (13)

The last spot will be decided between: Harris, Burke, Adkins (if they decide to take 12 pitchers) or one of the non-roster ST invitees could be a wild card.

Bottom line is this, if the Sox were convinced Willie could do the job, they wouldn't be flirting with Iguchi.

What about Kelly Dransfeldt?  I know he was not the most talented, but he was pretty clutch in his time up with the big club.  Is he even invited to Spring Training or did he sign elsewhere?

He's still out there to my knowledge.

Just a hunch though, I think the Sox want to go in a different direction. Somebody with more speed and better numbers.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
He's still out there to my knowledge.

Just a hunch though, I think the Sox want to go in a different direction.  Somebody with more speed and better numbers.

I liked watching Kelly slap a hit to opposite field last year. It seems like that's all he ever hit it to. I'm sure he's got a great heart but sadly the talent just isn't there.

If the Sox sign Iguchi, I think it would be wise to keep Willie in case Iguchi has a difficult transition. Worst case would be that Iguchi platoons with Willie. Iguchi's marketing value will justify some of his salary. If Iguchi turns out to be a difference maker and Willie is not getting any playing time, then package Willie in a trade for whoever the Sox may need during the season.

Put me on the Iguchi bandwagon. Is there no chance that Iguchi could handle SS for a game or two here and there? I wonder if his shoulder problems linger.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
If the Sox sign Iguchi, I think it would be wise to keep Willie in case Iguchi has a difficult transition.  Worst case would be that Iguchi platoons with Willie.  Iguchi's marketing value will justify some of his salary.  If Iguchi turns out to be a difference maker and Willie is not getting any playing time, then package Willie in a trade for whoever the Sox may need during the season. 

Put me on the Iguchi bandwagon.  Is there no chance that Iguchi could handle SS for a game or two here and there?  I wonder if his shoulder problems linger.

Iguchi will play short if he is the very last option. Otherwise, no.

QUOTE(Heartattack19 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
What about Kelly Dransfeldt?  I know he was not the most talented, but he was pretty clutch in his time up with the big club.  Is he even invited to Spring Training or did he sign elsewhere?

He was real clutch last year in Baltimore when he let that DP ball go right through his legs and blew the game.

Keep him away from the Southside, please.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
He was real clutch last year in Baltimore when he let that DP ball go right through his legs and blew the game.

Keep him away from the Southside, please.

How many players make mistakes like that? It was one f***in play! He hit while he was here, he hustles and gives it his all. Im on the KD bandwagon!

How many players make mistakes like that?  It was one f***in play!  He hit while he was here, he hustles and gives it his all.  Im on the KD bandwagon!

Hate to break it to you but KD is Triple A fodder. He has sucked at the minor league level for his entire career...

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?Name=HGF