More dominos to fall?

Guest JimH

Harris will probably be traded for a prospect or two. There aren't a lot of open roster spots now, besides UTL IFer. The bullpen has a lot of competition as well. The Sox biggest need is depth at the AAA, AA levels for a number of positions [C, 3B, SS, SP], which a trade of willie could possibly fill.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Harris will probably be traded for a prospect or two. There aren't a lot of open roster spots now, besides UTL IFer. The bullpen has a lot of competition as well. The Sox biggest need is depth at the AAA, AA levels for a number of positions [C, 3B, SS, SP], which a trade of willie could possibly fill.

Don't be too disheartened because your Castillo idea was based on sound thinking. And I agree, I believe Willie will be traded for some AAA,AA depth.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Don't be too disheartened because your Castillo idea was based on sound thinking.  And I agree, I believe Willie will be traded for some AAA,AA depth.

I think everyone here would rather of had Castillo then Iguchi all things being even. Ohh well...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
I think Willie will be traded for another RP. My reasoning is that numbers wise there is great separation still from Adkins to Politte in the pen.  He is the weakest link.  Wille should be able to fetch the Sox a player as good or better than Politte.  That would make for one of the strongest pens in MLB.  No real weaknesses.

You can not build a roster on the expectation that someone goes down.  You have to assume the guys you sign or going to be healthy.  You plan for contingencies with your farm system & your team's ability to make a quick trade.  That will be there most of the year for the Sox with so many 2B dangling on the trade wire: Castillo, Polanco, & Boone to name a few.

It's extremely doubtful the sox could get someone better than Politte by trading Willie. Esp now so close to ST. You even said yourself there are a lot of 2bmen out there.

The best the Sox could prob. hope for in return for Willie are decent high level prospects. Or a very solid UTL guy. Instead of a bullpen guy, the Sox could use a position player. The sox have a lot of guys who could fill the 11th, 12th spots in the pitching dept [Diaz, Munoz, Baj, Ryan Meaux, Matt Smith, etc]

WOW!! Ozuna has played a total of 3 games at short. Well tell me why is he only playing the Outfield in Winter Ball ;)

He played a ton of SS at the Phillies AAA team last year, and he's played SS quite a bit in his minor league career.

Not sure where you're getting he can't play SS.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Don't be too disheartened because your Castillo idea was based on sound thinking.  And I agree, I believe Willie will be traded for some AAA,AA depth.

I still think Castillo will be traded :) The Marlins GM is a lot like KW and operates under a strict budget as well

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
I still think Castillo will be traded :) The Marlins GM is a lot like KW and operates under a strict budget as well

You are probably correct. I just don't think he'll be headed to the Sox at this point.

Jim -- one more thing.  Don't take this as me being a smartass, but how do you expect Larkin -- if he signed here -- to get 90+ games at SS?

I'm assuming the Sox don't expect Crede to be as 'sucky' (for lack of a better word at this point) at 3B this year, and I'm also assuming that the Sox think Iguchi is going to at least put up a .270 AVG -- at least.  If all of that holds true, it leaves really only one position for Uribe, as our everyday SS.

Larkin starts 90 games at SS and Uribe comes in for late inning defense or when a game is lopsided. For sake of example, Uribe would start let's say 25 games each at 2B and 3B.

72 starts at SS +50 = 122 starts, plus late inning maneuvering. That's a lot of AB's for Uribe. I don't think it'd be a problem. Everybody stays fresh and you add that key veteran element to the IF.

If somebody gets hurt then you slide Uribe over and bring in Valdez or Ozuna. It gives you great depth.

It's extremely doubtful the sox could get someone better than Politte by trading Willie. Esp now so close to ST. You even said yourself there are a lot of 2bmen out there.

The best the Sox could prob. hope for in return for Willie are decent high level prospects. Or a very solid UTL guy. Instead of a bullpen guy, the Sox could use a position player. The sox have a lot of guys who could fill the 11th, 12th spots in the pitching dept [Diaz, Munoz, Baj, Ryan Meaux, Matt Smith, etc]

But Willie's not just a 2B. He's also a reliable OFer. That opes the door to more possibilities for a trade. There are also solid relievers available.

Consider this:

Harris + PTBNL (the Sox depth you mentioned incl Adkins) for Bradford (A's).

Oakland saves $, & gets two cheap above average players in return. Beane always seems to know more about our talent then we do so I'm sure he would know which PTBNL to pick to make the trade worth his while.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
But Willie's not just a 2B.  He's also a reliable OFer.  That opes the door to more possibilities for a trade.  There are also solid relievers available. 

Consider this:

Harris + PTBNL (the Sox depth you mentioned incl Adkins) for Bradford (A's).

Oakland saves $, & gets two cheap above average players in return.  Beane always seems to know more about our talent then we do so I'm sure he would know which PTBNL to pick to make the trade worth his while.

Bradford is a puke. He's nothing but a right handed Wunsch. There is a reason KW dumped him.

IMO we need to trade Harris for a veteran UIF that can play a solid SS and 3B. Maybe not with as much offensive potential as Willie but more defensive flexibility.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
In a-rows second year, his avg and OPB was lower than willie's does that mean that A-row was pretty much worthless to this organization???

Well I guess you can say that about alot of players, it appears the sox believed that Arow would improve. It appears the sox don't believe that Willie will improve. i think that wraps it up. By the way I think borchard blows, Crede blows as well. you can write those down as players who will only improve slightly. i beleive the sox know it as well.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:31 PM)
But Willie's not just a 2B.  He's also a reliable OFer.  That opes the door to more possibilities for a trade.  There are also solid relievers available. 

Harris just plays an outfielder on TV. If a team needs him to play CF, it should be in AAA not in the majors.

Harris has value. But it shouldn't be for a 25th man type. The sox could and should get a guy who could be an everyday player or a SP some day, preferably in the next yr or so.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Bradford is a puke. He's nothing but a right handed Wunsch. There is a reason KW dumped him.

IMO we need to trade Harris for a veteran UIF that can play a solid SS and 3B. Maybe not with as much offensive potential as Willie but more defensive flexibility.

Bradford is NOT a puke. OMFG, this is the most ignorant thing I have read here. :banghead

here is a limb..I think the bulk (90%) of the sox pitchers in there minor league system, SUCK and will never make it. I think we need better talent evaluators.

Take that limb and shove it.

That is not a revelation, most minor league pitchers don't make it.

But that is not the topic being discussed here, please attempt to stay on topic.

Why would you go with an unproven backup when your IF situation is largely unproven? And, you're trying to position the team to make a run at a title?

Doesn't make sense.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
That is not a revelation, most minor league pitchers don't make it.

But that is not the topic being discussed here, please attempt to stay on topic.

Why would you go with an unproven backup when your IF situation is largely unproven?  And, you're trying to position the team to make a run at a title?

Doesn't make sense.

Why are you askign me such a question? because I don't think they will get larkin? Please... Stop this crap. larkin is not coming here. Who will, I don't know. But not larkin,.

I will agree with the basic premise that if you can get a top UIF for Harris that's your best move. But I don't agree that these guys will be available.

Every team in the majors is always looking for them. Healthy contributors like Graf are not always easy to find.

So my premise is that if a team has one they sure as hell aren't going to part with the guy for a trade centered around Harris. The Sox are likely to sign a UIF as a FA after ST. There will be several that might look good but for some reason won't make their team's roster & might be out of options.

That's why knowing Beane I can even see him giving KW a call & pitching Bradford for Harris & a PTBNL. Beane enjoys trading with us :D

Okay, I had to leave for a while and I missed the fireworks. I agree that the Sox don't like Willie. But they do like Timo. Sorry, but that sort of judgement I'll always question. They've been wrong before, they'll be wrong again.

The response to this is usually, 'Well, that's their opinion and just b/c fans don't agree won't change anything.' Yeah, of course, but if we only posted when we thought we would change something, this site wouldn't need a server -- a 3.5 in floppy would hold the posts. And they'd all be about green seats. That's really missing the point.

But if someone states that Willie has attitude problems as if it's fact, I want to hear some evidence. Right now the reason to trade Willie is that the Sox don't like him, and the Sox don't like him because they have a reason...some reason. Oh.

Actually, I'm optimistic about Willie, so I wouldn't mind seeing him traded. I think he deserves a better chance than he'll get here. Plus, Ozzie'll then get another opportunity to talk s*** about someone, so it'll make everyone happy.